EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Selling S2K should I get EVO9 base or MR? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/550445-selling-s2k-should-i-get-evo9-base-mr.html)

str8kor Apr 14, 2011 03:19 PM

get the base 9, from what ive seen the 6speed tranny on the mr is much weaker than 5 speed and ive even seen ppl convert their mr to a 5 speed to withstand the high hp

CHICKYEVO Apr 14, 2011 03:23 PM

get a evo 9

CHICKYEVO Apr 14, 2011 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by str8kor (Post 9242710)
get the base 9, from what ive seen the 6speed tranny on the mr is much weaker than 5 speed and ive even seen ppl convert their mr to a 5 speed to withstand the high hp

i did

dy4anEvo Apr 14, 2011 03:41 PM

as an MR owner i love everything this model has to offer but the trans. has the been the only problem the whole time..the engine makes 325 at the wheeels and already im expriencing high rpm lockout and 5th gear is crunchy<anyway i wish would have gotten an rs.bare minimum but strong

Evolved-8 Apr 14, 2011 04:57 PM

5-speed only

Technically the cars are similar, I am sure you already know that. Transmission is the big choice and with that the 6-speed is not even close to the capabilities of the 5-speed. I have had both and I have had both transmissions apart for inspection after a year worth of racing. Without getting into it, the 6-speed shares some lineage with the Hyundai Tiburon and the Nissan Maxima--- not *exactly* the same, but if you open all three at the same time--- it is quite scary to think that Mitsu put that in their "top of the line" Evo. With that, the 5-speed is incredibly simple inside and overall stronger by a good margin. Of course treat either one with disrespect.... either can bite back.

So, for me the 5-speed is the better of the two. If you like the MR.... buy it, sell the transmission, and buy a 5-speed..... now that is a great combination.

Carloverx Apr 14, 2011 05:18 PM

OK, so here are some facts about my MR, followed by opinions on which Evo model is best:
I've owned my MR since new in 2006.

SE vs MR (the gsr is lesser than an SE in every way other than price).

FACTS:

1. I made over 500whp for a year on a bone stock 6 speed. Granted, I did treat it well and it only had 10 or so hard launches on it. I ended up throwing a rod before breaking the trans.

2. MR's don't get better gas millage, even with the 6th gear.

3. It is MUCH more expensive to build a 6 speed over a 5 speed. Shepard is the only well known shop beefing up 6 speeds and it's $2,800 to do anything worthwhile.

4. You can't buy a Red SE.

OPINIONS:

1. I see NO reason to own a 6 speed over a five speed, although I haven't spent nearly as much time in a 5 speed.

2. The HID lights are AWESOME. And knowing your roof is aluminum while GSR evo's are not is also fun. My MR has been lowered with just springs for over two years now and it still has great ride quality.

CONCLUSION:

The SE is hands down the best choice. It has all the perks of the MR, without it's ONE downfall: the slightly weaker and more expensive trans. Plus, used, they're close in price.

If breaking a trans isn't a problem, find either an SE or MR in the color, condition, and price you like and go with it. If you see yourself pushing it, the SE can't be beat.

donmeca2020 Apr 14, 2011 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by KWezzy (Post 9242054)
You said it all bro! I really agree with the only evo mr worth buying is the 8's version. I really would like to find one for myself!

i haven't seen one in years, let alone a graphite grey 8 MR. when i bought my 2005 electric blue 8, there were none to be found. the 9 MR when it came out i seen them left and right almost as much as you see a regular honda accord. nowadays though an 8 or 9 as i have come to find out are getting more rare.

KWezzy Apr 14, 2011 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by donmeca2020 (Post 9243155)
i haven't seen one in years, let alone a graphite grey 8 MR. when i bought my 2005 electric blue 8, there were none to be found. the 9 MR when it came out i seen them left and right almost as much as you see a regular honda accord. nowadays though an 8 or 9 as i have come to find out are getting more rare.

dang very true, evo 8 and 9's are getting rare. Thats why I'd like to own a few of them before theres no more left lol.

kanyonkid Apr 14, 2011 06:31 PM

The Mr's, Se's, and Rs's came with alluminium roof's.

Try and get the ix Se's just like the mr's but without the weak 6speed and blistens. Very nice red stitching recardos and diamond black finsih bbs's.

rs has minimium interior, no power windows, and alot lighter then the base gsr. basically its a track car.

kaj Apr 14, 2011 06:36 PM

FWIW my MR was stock engine with mild cams. After a MBC, exhaust, and tune I had about 333/345. That was plenty of power and speed. It was quick, torque hit immediately, and decent mpg on my 6-spd.
I see no reason a 5 speed is better other than drag racing with a very high HP car and sticky tires.
I wouldnt have traded that car for any 5 speed.

p.s. hard top > moon roof all day long. Especially on a performance vehicle.

kanyonkid Apr 14, 2011 07:24 PM

^ your wrong about your mpg prolly talking 1mpg if anything.. its in the tuning.. yes the 6th speed will be 200-300rpms lower vs the 5th gear.

acidtonic Apr 14, 2011 07:36 PM

I love my IX base with HIDs and a hardtop.

I think the 5spd is the way to go. You can fix the highway mileage with tuning. MIVEC is definitely one of the benefits over the 8. If you like to tinker you can make a great powerband for daily driving as well as nice fuel economy.

I'd go with these things first.

Boost gauge
Wideband O2 & gauge
Turboback exhaust
Fuel pump
Injectors
BOV (I prefer adjustable spring and venting valves, love my GFB Deceptor. Sounds like VTA even when 100% recirc. Very loud when set to VTA)
Tactrix Cable 1.3U
Evoscan
Tune

That right there is a very solid combo that will be one hell of a DD. You might be in for a clutch if you are hard on it with the new found power. Buy T-Bolt clamps for when you blow your first pipe. I keep an extra clamp in the car in case I can't find the one that comes off if it happens again.

shifthard Apr 14, 2011 08:51 PM

I wish they made a white SE."sigh"

kaj Apr 15, 2011 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by kanyonkid (Post 9243309)
^ your wrong about your mpg prolly talking 1mpg if anything.. its in the tuning.. yes the 6th speed will be 200-300rpms lower vs the 5th gear.

I'm wrong that I got better gas mileage with a 6 speed than a 5? Then you go on to say Im right. Ooookay.

Anyway, +1 on MIVEC making a huge difference. That is true. Across the entire RPM range. Totally worth it. My Evo was a white IX MR. again, I wouldn't have traded it for any other version/year/color/etc.I

TyFoxx0608 Apr 15, 2011 10:13 AM

I cant catch a break. There are so many evos out there that has been modded or some modded very untasteful. I just found out there was a MR SE, and I wanted to hop on the freeway and drive to WA a 18 hour drive but so far every damn dealership is lowballing my trade. 06 S2K with only 17k miles. I been getting anywhere between 15-18k. The retail on my car is 25k and theres is 27k but they want me to buy their cars close to retail but mine way under trade? So bull****.