EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Evo 8 worth it? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/741666-evo-8-worth.html)

Jhaze71 Aug 11, 2017 04:44 PM

Fair points. I am new to Evo's and have been reading everything I can. For what I am looking to do, I think it would be a good platform. Ty for the feedback.

EV09AWD Aug 12, 2017 07:03 PM

There aren't any good EVO deals, most everything is asking premium. There are some run down ones around

DeeezNuuuts83 Aug 13, 2017 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX (Post 11764166)
1. Is the RS what your looking for ?
2. One owner , 2 owner etc.. It doesn't matter how many owners, what matters is condition. Usually the less owners it had the better condition it might be but not always.

Yes but there's correlation between the two. It's infrequent to find an Evo that has had multiple owners that is in better condition than an Evo of similar age and mileage with just one or two owners.

Plus a car that has been passed along to multiple owners was done so for a reason, and usually not because the previous owner wanted to share the wealth. Yes, sometimes it's because of perfectly legitimate reasons (i.e. financial situations, different wants/needs out of a car), but when it's been through a lot of people, the more owners it's had, there's always a chance that one of them probably didn't care for the car very well. Sometimes Evos get bought and sold because there's something wrong with it and they don't want to deal with the headache anymore.

If an Evo is in good shape like you say and no rust or accidents with 137k miles for 13,500 , I say it is a steal . Don't buy any evo model (RS , GSR, MR , SE, SSL ) because it's a deal. Buy it because it's the model you want that happens to be a deal.

But these days, it's harder and harder to find exactly what you want. The Evo VIIIs and IXs are only going to get fewer in number since some will inevitably get totaled or stolen. The ones left are only getting older and racking up miles. So unless people are willing to pass up a potentially good Evo just because it's not the exact model in hopes of finding that exact model you want is a gamble, especially if you need/want an Evo sooner rather than later. Some people have had to compromise, as they may not have the luxury to wait a year or so.

Additionally, the various models aren't THAT different, in terms of the behind-the-wheel experience or even the actual performance. I agree that the RS is going to be very different in terms of creature comforts (such as the ones you pointed out why the RS isn't for you), but the differences between the models aren't anything significant that is going to make you regret what you ended up with, considering the shrinking supply.

Also , what's the point of never being modded ? That doesn't add value to me. Your going to mod it anyways. If it has good/tastefully done mods , now that adds value IMO. Besides many lie about never modded" or "never raced" . I consider WOT pull a "raced". Never "tracked" or "road course" well that's a different story .

Yeah, but again, you don't know the history of it. You don't know if those mods (or ones that those mods may have replaced) did any damage, compared to the closer the car being to stock, it's more likely that everything is in better shape than a similar Evo that may have had new cams installed. Plus stuff being stock (or at least relatively untouched) means that no one messed with it. There are plenty of horror stories about shops half-assing jobs. Also, wear and tear typically accelerates as the car gets modded.

logs27 Aug 13, 2017 05:51 PM

yes its worth it

nemsin Aug 13, 2017 07:31 PM

The question really is: Is it worth it, to you?

Imo, a 'deal' would be a car you could buy and flip for a profit. I don't think OP could realistically turn a profit on the car he is asking about.