EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Where to get 3/8BSPT to 1/8 NPT adapter (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/754040-where-get-3-8bspt-1-8-npt-adapter.html)

EVOLUTION GRAND Apr 20, 2019 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by deylag (Post 11869356)
You don't need the adapter if you use the remote line. The remote line goes directly into the oil filter housing.

From what I have searched, AMS remote line has a 3/8 NPT thread, some people use taflon tape to fit it directly into 3/8 BSPT. But I would rather to use an adapter. I will call AMS next week to confirm what thread it has.

ronaldo9 Apr 20, 2019 12:22 PM

Is the stm remote line the same as ams? I just bought the stm remote line.

GSX_TO_EVO Apr 20, 2019 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ronaldo9 (Post 11869394)

I have the STM line waiting to go on as well, nothing was ever mentioned of it not being the correct fittings on either end.

GSX_TO_EVO Apr 20, 2019 03:57 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...7693bd352f.png
According to the site. One End is 1/8 NPT and the oil filter housing side is 3/8 BSPT.

Seems like the guys with the STM line are good to go. Still use sealant though.

deylag Apr 20, 2019 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11869370)
The fitting is bspt thread? We need to find where to get those.

Yea probably special order at a machine shop.

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION GRAND (Post 11869379)
From what I have searched, AMS remote line has a 3/8 NPT thread, some people use taflon tape to fit it directly into 3/8 BSPT. But I would rather to use an adapter. I will call AMS next week to confirm what thread it has.

Nah its 3/8 BSPT. I have installed it myself but make sure by contacting AMS.

Originally Posted by ronaldo9 (Post 11869394)

Yes, its a blatant copy of the AMS product.

kaj Apr 20, 2019 07:27 PM

To be fair, it's kinda impossible to not "copy" something as simple as an oil line.

EVOLUTION GRAND Apr 22, 2019 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by deylag (Post 11869409)
Yea probably special order at a machine shop.

Nah its 3/8 BSPT. I have installed it myself but make sure by contacting AMS.

Yes, its a blatant copy of the AMS product.

I called AMS. They said it's a 3/8 NPT. That's weird.

heel2toe Apr 22, 2019 02:59 PM

This has been debated in the past. AMS is wrong its not NPT but rather BSPT. The thing is that with pipe dope and the tapered fitting the threads are close enough that it may work but it is not NPT.

Pal215 Apr 22, 2019 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 11869591)
This has been debated in the past. AMS is wrong its not NPT but rather BSPT. The thing is that with pipe dope and the tapered fitting the threads are close enough that it may work but it is not NPT.

Correct, and then they end up leaking a drop or two every couple of weeks.

kaj Apr 22, 2019 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION GRAND (Post 11869584)
I called AMS. They said it's a 3/8 NPT. That's weird.

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 11869591)

Originally Posted by Pal215 (Post 11869592)
Correct, and then they end up leaking a drop or two every couple of weeks.

AMS is saying their line is NPT? But it's BSPT? So it's a direct fit, but they are saying it's not? And if it is, why would it leak?

Pal215 Apr 22, 2019 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11869619)
AMS is saying their line is NPT? But it's BSPT? So it's a direct fit, but they are saying it's not? And if it is, why would it leak?

Well, it gets a little specific after that. As you know, BSPT is a tapered British pipe thread and NOT a direct fit to National pipe thread. Since Bspt threads are cut at 55 degrees with a rounded trough and NPT are cut at 60 degrees with square troughs. From what I understand, if AMS is truly using an NPT fitting, they are relying on a combination of high temp thread sealant and the softness of the cast aluminium threads of the OFH to create a good enough seal for this to work. These fittings are not strictly cross compatible.

kaj Apr 22, 2019 07:40 PM

I know all that, but Heel2toe is saying their line is BSPT. If it were then why would AMS say it's NPT?

EVOLUTION GRAND Apr 22, 2019 08:11 PM

STM did mentioned that their remote line has a 3/8 BSPT thread. I'm gonna go with STM line. It's only 15 bucks more than AMS.

Pal215 Apr 22, 2019 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11869632)
I know all that, but Heel2toe is saying their line is BSPT. If it were then why would AMS say it's NPT?

Ah, I see what you're saying. That confused me for a bit :lol:

heel2toe Apr 23, 2019 07:50 AM

Lol sorry I guess I can see how my comment was confusing. Let me try again...I have no idea what size fitting AMS has for their line. If they say its NPT then I would believe that it is NPT. That being said National Pipe Thread is the incorrect threads for our OFH and the correct size is instead 3/8 BSPT. Pal expanded on what I was getting at and this is the reason why this has been debated in the past because people have the false sense of reality thinking that it is NPT since it will thread in and when you goop it up and soft AL threads or brass threads for a fitting ends up potentially sealing.

However its still not NPT so get the right fitting. Personally I purchased the STM remote sending unit line which included the proper fitting and hey guess what, it doesn't leak!