EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo How Tos / Installations (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-tos-installations-82/)
-   -   HOW TO: Replace alternator from the top (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-tos-installations/653389-how-replace-alternator-top.html)

vortico Dec 13, 2013 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by hatesposers (Post 10882769)
Or....

You can remove the driver's side motor mount bolt. Jack the front (passenger side) of the engine up an inch or two, which gives you plenty of room to pull the alternator out.

The 2 minutes it takes to put the jack under the engine, and remove the bolt, saves 15-20 minutes of struggling with bolts and pulling the alternator out.

I've R&Red 2 alternators on Evos. Both took about 20 minutes tops.

Where do you place the jack under the engine for this? I am assuming the oil pan would be a bad idea. And for the driver's side mount you are refering to the one under the oem battery tray right?

mrm95 Dec 31, 2013 09:05 PM

When changing my alternator i decided to buy a remanufactured alternator... bad idea lol. It wouldnt fit right and i had to remove one of the bolts out of the top bracket (the one that goes into the water pump) in order to make it fit. I heard that if the bracket isnt bolted correctly it can cause a boost leak due to it making the intake manifold separate from the head and i am having symptoms of a boost leak since. is this true? This ever happen to you guys?

jrainwater Jan 1, 2014 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by vortico (Post 11051018)
Where do you place the jack under the engine for this? I am assuming the oil pan would be a bad idea. And for the driver's side mount you are refering to the one under the oem battery tray right?

You would put a 2x4 under the oil pan to displace the weight but I'm having trouble visualizing how removing the drivers side engine mount bolt would allow you to jack up the passenger side of the engine. That doesn't make sense to me. I want to swap in a new alternator soon and this way seems easier. Can someone elaborate on this technique plz. Thanks.

EVONOT Feb 3, 2014 08:52 AM

This was a great help, and yes make sure you take bolts off of I believe its the abs module. Gives it just that much wiggle room. And also you dond have to take the whole dipstick tube out(just dipstick) and no need for fuel rail removal. Just take off your Fuel pressure reg.

Helpful tip: if you remove the tiny 10mm bolts that hold both sides of the alternator together you can rotate it which also helps you get it out.

sgambino92 Apr 12, 2014 08:54 PM

alright so i spent all day working on getting the alternator out. unbolted everything and couldn't get it out lol. so its just sitting down in the bay right now. i plan on going the motor mount way because it seems the easiest but my question is, am taking out the bolt on the drivers side and jacking up the passenger side or vice versa? the guy above said take out drivers side motor mount bolt and jack the passenger side up but i cant see how this could possibly work. so if anyone can give me some input that would be great. thanks!

jrainwater Apr 12, 2014 08:59 PM

I am going to install a new 180 amp alternator next week but I'm also going to install a ported intake manifold and throttle body at the same time so I assume it will be easy as hell.

sgambino92 Apr 12, 2014 09:02 PM

yea itll be a breeze for you lol

Originally Posted by jrainwater (Post 11175904)
I am going to install a new 180 amp alternator next week but I'm also going to install a ported intake manifold and throttle body at the same time so I assume it will be easy as hell.

EGbeater May 9, 2014 12:49 PM

I just R&Red my alternator from the top; thanks to the OP ( __pg ) for putting the info out there for the rest of us!

This is what I did:
  • Disconnect the negative terminal of battery
  • Remove passenger side front wheel
  • Release serpentine belt from the alternator pulley with 1/2" breaker bar on the belt tensioner
  • Disconnect main power output wire from alternator (12mm nut); unplug other 4-wire molex connector
  • Remove alternator bracket (three 12mm-head bolts)
  • Remove main alternator fixing bolt (14mm nut towards the middle of the car). Don't drop/lose the nut and split washer!
  • Remove dipstick (just pull out the dipstick itself, I didn't remove the dipstick tube); plug the tube with a wad of paper towel to prevent dropping anything into it
  • Remove nut and three bolts (all 12mm) so ABS unit/bracket is loose
  • Remove fuel pressure regulator (two 10mm-head bolts); leave the vacuum lines hooked up. A fair amount of fuel will leak out of course. Ziptie the FPR out of the way (towards the driver's side of the engine bay)
  • Pull alternator out by orienting the pulley side towards the center of the car, so that it'll just barely clear the intake manifold/dipstick/end of the fuel rail. Be careful not to get too rough and damage any of the brake lines coming out of the ABS unit. Also make sure not to damage the end of the fuel rail with the alternator casing as you're working to slip the alternator up and out.

TIP: If you need just a HAIR more clearance to get the alternator out, just put a pry bar between the unibody and the passenger-side motor mount, and pry the entire engine toward the driver's side. You can get about 2–3mm more room by doing that, which is all I needed.

I should mention that my Evo doesn't have the A/C line as I've removed the A/C for weight savings, so that might have made it easier than on a car with the A/C still there. I didn't have to unbolt the bracket for the power steering line on the motor mount though.

Originally Posted by sgambino92 (Post 11175900)
i plan on going the motor mount way because it seems the easiest but my question is, am taking out the bolt on the drivers side and jacking up the passenger side or vice versa? the guy above said take out drivers side motor mount bolt and jack the passenger side up but i cant see how this could possibly work. so if anyone can give me some input that would be great. thanks!

I didn't bother to remove any engine mount bolts, but I'm sure he meant to remove the PASSENGER side engine mount bolt in order to jack up the engine by the oil pan (with a piece of wood to protect the pan) to create a little more room.

domyz Jul 24, 2014 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by EGbeater (Post 11203854)
I just R&Red my alternator from the top; thanks to the OP ( __pg ) for putting the info out there for the rest of us!

This is what I did:
  • Disconnect the negative terminal of battery
  • Remove passenger side front wheel
  • Release serpentine belt from the alternator pulley with 1/2" breaker bar on the belt tensioner
  • Disconnect main power output wire from alternator (12mm nut); unplug other 4-wire molex connector
  • Remove alternator bracket (three 12mm-head bolts)
  • Remove main alternator fixing bolt (14mm nut towards the middle of the car). Don't drop/lose the nut and split washer!
  • Remove dipstick (just pull out the dipstick itself, I didn't remove the dipstick tube); plug the tube with a wad of paper towel to prevent dropping anything into it
  • Remove nut and three bolts (all 12mm) so ABS unit/bracket is loose
  • Remove fuel pressure regulator (two 10mm-head bolts); leave the vacuum lines hooked up. A fair amount of fuel will leak out of course. Ziptie the FPR out of the way (towards the driver's side of the engine bay)
  • Pull alternator out by orienting the pulley side towards the center of the car, so that it'll just barely clear the intake manifold/dipstick/end of the fuel rail. Be careful not to get too rough and damage any of the brake lines coming out of the ABS unit. Also make sure not to damage the end of the fuel rail with the alternator casing as you're working to slip the alternator up and out.

TIP: If you need just a HAIR more clearance to get the alternator out, just put a pry bar between the unibody and the passenger-side motor mount, and pry the entire engine toward the driver's side. You can get about 2–3mm more room by doing that, which is all I needed.

I should mention that my Evo doesn't have the A/C line as I've removed the A/C for weight savings, so that might have made it easier than on a car with the A/C still there. I didn't have to unbolt the bracket for the power steering line on the motor mount though.

I didn't bother to remove any engine mount bolts, but I'm sure he meant to remove the PASSENGER side engine mount bolt in order to jack up the engine by the oil pan (with a piece of wood to protect the pan) to create a little more room.

I did this but you forgot something: to remove the lower alternator bolt (14mm), you need to remove the serpentine belt tensioner (one 14mm + one 12mm bolts)

Th engine mount to remove is the passenger side one and this give you some room to remove the alternator.

With all these steps, I consider the removal from under method a little bit quicker IMHO.

Ude Lose Dec 10, 2014 07:17 AM

Just replaced mine last night.
It's 10000 times easier just to pull off the front passenger axle and down pipe, the alternator just slid right out the bottom of the car and went back in just as easily!

CaptainSquirts Jul 5, 2018 08:21 AM

Old bump but just letting future peeps that try top or bottom that I have done both. Bottom is def way easier. Doing it from the top was a lot harder but you might get lucky and shimmy it out quick or unlucky and take forever like it did for me. I did have to rent an axle puller tho to get the axle removed from the hub since its rusted on but still would rather do bottom again.

Project_Broke Jul 6, 2018 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts (Post 11829480)
Old bump but just letting future peeps that try top or bottom that I have done both. Bottom is def way easier. Doing it from the top was a lot harder but you might get lucky and shimmy it out quick or unlucky and take forever like it did for me. I did have to rent an axle puller tho to get the axle removed from the hub since its rusted on but still would rather do bottom again.

I would tend to argue this. So it must be all in who is doing it.

Done it 4 times, 1 time from underneath, 3 from up top.

Top was an hour faster. Also, less headache.

Don't know why anyone mentions removing the tensioner, not needed, at least how I do it.

To add to this, a 4g64 Eclipse alternator that you get off the shelf at the parts store fits the Evo fine, and no special order. Alt is a smidgen smaller, so it actually installs easier. Same amps/wiring.

BeyondLimitsEvo Aug 4, 2018 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Project_Broke (Post 11829648)
I would tend to argue this. So it must be all in who is doing it.

Done it 4 times, 1 time from underneath, 3 from up top.

Top was an hour faster. Also, less headache.

Don't know why anyone mentions removing the tensioner, not needed, at least how I do it.

To add to this, a 4g64 Eclipse alternator that you get off the shelf at the parts store fits the Evo fine, and no special order. Alt is a smidgen smaller, so it actually installs easier. Same amps/wiring.

So the alternator from a 2005 Eclipse with the 4G64 engine will work? I need to replace the alt in my '03 VIII.

kaj Aug 4, 2018 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by BeyondLimitsEvo (Post 11833873)
So the alternator from a 2005 Eclipse with the 4G64 engine will work? I need to replace the alt in my '03 VIII.

In for this info. 'Would be good to know.

And +1 for removing the alternator from the top. it was CAKE. I didn't get even get dirty or break a sweat.

Project_Broke Aug 6, 2018 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by BeyondLimitsEvo (Post 11833873)

3rd Gen is what I used. 2002-03 specifically. I can't speak for other years.

I found no other person mentioning this, so hopefully it helps someone. Needed one ASAP, auto-zone 3G alt is still kicking.

EDIT: Same part number for all 3Gs 4g64 01-05. But keep in mind there are 2 options. 90AMP is confirmed working. I would supposed the 95AMP would as well, maybe a larger case size.