EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   WTF is wrong w/my Evo - PART II (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/389062-wtf-wrong-w-my-evo-part-ii.html)

Noize Dec 23, 2008 04:58 PM

I'd let them put the stocker back in and let a shop do the aftermarket clutch. If you ever have another issue, they might blame it on your upgraded clutch, which would of course be bad news.

fastkevin Dec 23, 2008 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by sspaladin28 (Post 6494847)
I think you are missing the point. He isn't asking them to pay for the new clutch he ordered, but rather to install it instead of the replacement OEM one they are already going to replace under warranty. The work is the same effectively so there is no reason they should not do it, especially because they would now have a record of him having AM parts in his car that could impact later tranny issues. Since Mitsu loves to find reasons to deny warranty claims, this would be a perfect opportunity for them to install it at no extra cost to themselves and use it as a reason later.

Before someone says dealers won't install AM parts when doing a Warranty replacement, I have had it done.

Good luck OP

You got lucky. The dealer doesn't like to do warranty work because it pays roughly half of what a customer does. They also typically wouldn't want the liability of installing an A/M part. Especially if the customer supplies it. In the OP's instance, he's asking them to get Mitsubishi to pay for an install a non-factory authorized part. I guaranty Mitsubishi won't touch it with a 10-foot pole, which leaves the dealer needing to lie to Mitsu about which part they'd be installing. if they were to do it, the customer would have them by the short and curlies because of what they did, and I could see the dealer not wanting any part of that. I wouldn't if I were them. The thing I don't understand is what the OP is saying about Mitsu not doing anything, even with only 600 miles on the car. No offense to the OP, but I don't think we're getting the whole story here(although I haven't read the whole thread). The 12kmi/12mo warranty is "bumper to bumper". If you have a clutch that took a crap at 600 miles DUE TO A DEFECT they should/would cover it. If however, you smoked your clutch at 600 miles because you abused the piss out of it, they can easily tell by looking at the clutch and flywheel. If they tore it down, and refused to cover it after looking at it, or told the customer they'd tear it down, but if it showed signs of abuse he'd be on the hook for it, that'd make sense. I just have a hard time buying that someone brought their car to the dealer with 600 miles on it, and they shut the door in his face without one of those two scenarios happening.

EvoG8r Dec 24, 2008 09:52 AM

Fastkevin; I understand your concerns. I would be asking the same questions if I were reading about you having this problem. This is my third Evo and I am a 32 year old army officer with a family. I just don't abuse cars like I did when I was much younger. The extent of my spirited driving is usually going WOT when I hit the on-ramp to the freeway. I don't even take turns hard.

The car was not torn down to determine the cause of the clutch failure. It was only determined that the clutch was slipping and that was it. I had to take it back for a rear main seal leak before someone realized that this is what caused the failure. Honestly, the dealer should have seen the leak if they were truly trying. I think the reason they didn't is because the dealer is not even allowed to wipe its own a$$ with out getting approval from mitsubishi. As it stands, they have to take pictures and send it to the rep to prove that I have a leak to get authorization. What happened to the days where the dealer could just make that determination on their own?

Lastly, if its my fault or I think its my fault I fix it. I don't beleave in making the car company pay for my mistakes. I think thats why its so hard to get something covered by mitsubishi in the first place.

-Fred

Q15H Dec 24, 2008 10:12 AM

The 12kmi/12mo warranty is "bumper to bumper".
I don't know what you're referring to with "12/12". The factory b-to-b warranty is 36/36:

New Vehicle (Bumper-to-Bumper) 3-yrs/36,000 miles

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/j...us#warrantyTab

hel_if_ino Dec 24, 2008 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by HudsonFalcon (Post 6495827)
I don't understand how and why they would say that the stock clutch isn't under warranty, with only 600 miles on the vehicle, especially since they get reimbursed from Mitsu for doing warranty work. That's the only reason why I think they would be reluctant to install your aftermarket ACT clutch.

lol! {pick} I have personally witnessed, worked on to confirm, AND replaced an aftermarket exedy clutch that was fried by a friends wife in ONE trip... a total of twelve miles. Do not underestimate the power of the poor driver, not saying that the OP is a poor driver, but the dealership cannot assume that with a high powered awd car such as this that it would be a factory defect, and not the driver. They have been dealing with this since 2003, they are a bit smarter now, unfortunate to the buyers new to the awd market and the "weaker" clutch, I put that in quotations because it all depends on the driver, I got 36k miles out of my first clutch on my VIII with over 100 launches at the strip.

Now, occasionally there will be a factory defect... in this case it seems to be, with the rear main seal leaking on a brand new car, how unlikely is that?!

OP, I am glad to hear they are replacing it under warranty. As Noize said, I would let them do their thing, drive it for about 1k miles to ensure the problem was resolved, and then seek out a tuner shop to do the aftermarket install. Too bad you aren't around me, I would do it for you...

EvoG8r Dec 26, 2008 08:39 AM

Oddly, there is another member that had the exact same problem as me (Tunerhead). Rear main seal leak! I would never have thought it possible from the factory.

Clutch is a "Wearable item" so its not covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. I think you need to read the "what's not covered" part to get that info. On my 03 Evo is was 12k miles for "adjustments" to parts like the clutch.

420SEL Dec 26, 2008 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by xhooniex83 (Post 6494914)
why don't you just drive with stock clutch untill you have to replace it?

+1

EvoG8r Dec 26, 2008 04:44 PM

I am having the dealer put in the stock clutch. I forgot to mention that somewhere.

Tunerhead Dec 29, 2008 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by EvoG8r (Post 6506248)
Oddly, there is another member that had the exact same problem as me (Tunerhead). Rear main seal leak! I would never have thought it possible from the factory.

Clutch is a "Wearable item" so its not covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. I think you need to read the "what's not covered" part to get that info. On my 03 Evo is was 12k miles for "adjustments" to parts like the clutch.

Yes my rear main seal was also leaking but I think they did something to fix it because when I went back and checked it out while my car was on the lift underneath I did not see the leak no more, but they had it for 3 weeks. :dunno:

ddawg1130 Dec 29, 2008 09:39 AM

Sorry for sounding stupid but what is the rear main seal?

Tunerhead Dec 29, 2008 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ddawg1130 (Post 6513807)
Sorry for sounding stupid but what is the rear main seal?

Its a big round rubber seal between the engine and tranny. It fits around the rear of the crankshaft and keeps the engine oil from escaping.

8thWonder Dec 30, 2008 07:06 PM

Sorry to hear about those issues Fred. Glad you're having them put the stocker back in. Have a shop upgrade it later.

Og Neon Dec 30, 2008 10:31 PM

bump for interest.

EvoG8r Dec 31, 2008 05:49 AM

The car is still at the dealer. They forgot to order a new flywheel so they gave me a POS Hyundai Tucson for a loaner. I have never driven a worse car in my life. I would rather have a 1980 Chevy Monza.

The car is in pieces, it looks like they will cover everything since they state that the rear main seal caused the clutch failure.

WWevoX Dec 31, 2008 06:34 AM

Isn't it a lil absurd that a wear and tear item would void your warranty! I can understand why they would say that because an upgraded clutch would bite better and could possibly put the power that was ment to be put at the wheel to be put there.

So when you upgrade your brakes to bite harder does that void warranty? Can't taking a 3000+lb car going so fast and stopping it in a heart beat put some stress on other parts on the car?

Luckily for me I bought my car from SCM and I don't have to deal with that BS.

I hope everything works out for you.