EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   2012 Evo X switching back to conventional oil-not true! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/603015-2012-evo-x-switching-back-conventional-oil-not-true.html)

SudzRA Mar 16, 2012 10:56 PM

>>> Info - the dealership in question has misunderstood the bulletin!

I work at a Mitsu dealer and saw the bulletin in question, came out just this last week. It says that the schedule for turbocharged cars has been changed back to the conventional 5000km/3000mile or 3 month oil change interval, instead of the new 8000km/5000mile or 5 month interval (this interval was changed for 2012 from 5000km/3 month to 8000km/5 month). The confusion arises because the 5000km/3 month schedule is the same as the schedule used for N/A Mitsus for those who have chosen to use dino oil. There has been a change in schedule, but NOT in the type of oil used. The dealership in question has made the mistake of thinking that because they've been instructed to do oil changes at 5000kms/3 months, that they should be using conventional oil. This is FALSE. As the pic above shows, the Evo and RA continue to require synthetic oil, as dino oil will coke up in the turbo after the vehicle has been turned off.

Originally Posted by denlin68 (Post 10040617)
My dealership says for 2008-2011 the mitsubishi corp says to use Mobil 1 full synthetic , But for 2012, the dealership found it very strange that mitsu corp says to use conventional oil. Therefore thats what they would recommend me because mitsubishi says so... but they said of course its my money and i can do as i please... i just find it weird and annoying and would like to know why did mitsu want to switch back to conventional oil

Your dealership has screwed up. If my regional rep found out that a dealership was suggesting that their customers use conventional oil in their Evo/RAs, he would hang the service manager by his/her toes.

Side note:
I've heard of many dealerships doing dumb things like this before, makes me angry that there are some less-than-stellar people working in the industry that give us all a bad name.

Evolution Z Mar 16, 2012 10:58 PM

your turbo will poop it's self if u use conventional.

use synthetic.

AFD Mar 17, 2012 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by SudzRA (Post 10040744)
It says that the schedule for turbocharged cars has been changed back to the conventional 5000km/3000mile or 3 month oil change interval, instead of the new 8000km/5000mile or 5 month interval (this interval was changed for 2012 from 5000km/3 month to 8000km/5 month).

^^ Anyone know if the new schedule change is US & Canada, or just Canada only?

Think all the US maintenance booklets 2008 to 2012 for Evo & Ralliart have stated 5k-mile/5-months for regular use and 3k-mile/3-months for severe use. I seem to recall RussellM posting about this same change from 5/5 to 3/3 a couple years ago, but have never seen this update changed in the maintenance & warranty books.

ETA: Found it.. all US booklets for 2008 to 2011 state 5k-mile/5-months (3/3 severe) and the 2012MY booklet states 3k-mile/6-months (still 3/3 severe).

Overall, I'm still pretty close.. about 1k miles overdue using the new schedule, and 9k miles early using the old one.

Wonder what the reasoning behind this was?

Robevo RS Mar 17, 2012 03:40 AM

The key is in the free oil change.... the proper full synthetic for the evo cost a lot more. Get they statement on paper then sue them.
Customer fraud.

Robevo RS Mar 17, 2012 03:45 AM

Also keep on mind most cases dealer mechanics working there because they not good enough to have they own shop after a certain age. Below that, they might be talented but not experienced yet. Lol

I rearly find a good mechanic at yhe dealers. Great? I never did.

HudsonFalcon Mar 17, 2012 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS (Post 10040859)
The key is in the free oil change.... the proper full synthetic for the evo cost a lot more.

+1. I get email coupons from Mitsubishi all the time for free oil changes but if you read the fine print it says *Evo models excluded.

This sounds like a simple mistake from one dealer nothing more. We should let common sense prevail afterall if nothing under the hood has changed, other than the year of manufacture, the oil should remain the same.

Kendogg Mar 17, 2012 01:26 PM

I have my first oil change free at the dealership. But screw that. Im going to do it myself. I wouldnt trust those retards with my car. I'll pay out of pocket and get my own hands into it. Its the only way to be sure

no-slip Mar 17, 2012 04:15 PM

For those people with streched timing chains what brand oil are you running ,I always used mobil 1 5w-30 on my 08 GSR and had 44000 miles with no issues, Still curious why theres no mention for synthetic on the 2012 models SOUNDS LIKE THERE MAY BE A TSB VERY SOON.

Johnr352 Mar 17, 2012 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Evolution Z (Post 10040747)
your turbo will poop it's self if u use conventional.

use synthetic.

Typically those cars running a racing cam will use a conventional racing oil. We use the racing only Valvoline VR-1, but change the oil VERY often.

Skyline Fever Mar 18, 2012 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Kendogg (Post 10041494)
I have my first oil change free at the dealership. But screw that. Im going to do it myself. I wouldnt trust those retards with my car. I'll pay out of pocket and get my own hands into it. Its the only way to be sure

That is what I did.

However, I did not use Mobil1, I used Castrol Edge.

At bobistheoilguy.com, oil analysis showed that Castrol Edge 5w30 is better at reducing iron wear when compared to Mobil1 5w30.

no-slip Mar 18, 2012 05:18 PM

sec 7 page 8 UNDER THE CAUTION statement fully synthetic oil should be used 2012 owners manual.

vtecless Mar 18, 2012 10:05 PM

keep it synthetic!

Robevo RS Mar 19, 2012 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Johnr352 (Post 10041954)
Typically those cars running a racing cam will use a conventional racing oil. We use the racing only Valvoline VR-1, but change the oil VERY often.

I am not sure which racing is what use a conventional oil for the evo.
I never heard of that.
Maybe the galant era (4g63t) pr something. Since the synthetic oil showed up, i can honestly say there is no one i know of, even heard it from anyone, who heard it from someone somebody using conventional racing oil for the evo. Lol

Johnr352 Mar 19, 2012 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS (Post 10043984)
I am not sure which racing is what use a conventional oil for the evo.
I never heard of that.
Maybe the galant era (4g63t) pr something. Since the synthetic oil showed up, i can honestly say there is no one i know of, even heard it from anyone, who heard it from someone somebody using conventional racing oil for the evo. Lol

We spoke to the guys at Joe Gibbs who has advised us accordingly.

TheBlade Mar 19, 2012 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by AFD (Post 10040559)
5w-40 fully synthetic is recommended by Mitsu for Canada and 5w-30 for the US.

+1. My 2010 manual states on page 7-10..

I understand dropping the Mobil 1 branding, but there should be at least something in the 2012 manual stating which oils are ok to use. Even if it's now ok to use conventional, blends, or fully synthetic - it should state that somewhere in the book.

Mitsu must think by driving over a line that is politically drawn it affects how heavy the oil needs to be. I mean if it's not the politically-drawn line and it's one that is dealing with polar-magnetism due to longitude degree, than Michigan and Minnesota Evo's need 10w-40, but those British Columbia ones...need 10w-30 :lol:

/le sigh Mitsu marketing FTL