EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules-61/)
-   -   Anyone here owned both a Evo and a S2000?? need opinions (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules/508719-anyone-here-owned-both-evo-s2000-need-opinions.html)

compscibOi Aug 13, 2010 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by abdizzle (Post 8579347)
I came from an AP1 and let me explain why I ditched it for an Evo:

-I think S2000's are only enjoyable in small doses. AKA weekend car or something you drive whenever while you DD something else. I DD'd mine for 1 year and had zero issues with the BS stuff other people complain about (harshness, noise, etc) I say it's good in small doses because after driving it for extended periods of time things just started pissing me off about it that I will cover below.

1. Anemic out of Vtec. You spend the majority of daily driving below 6K and the car is literally no more powerful then a Honda Accord down low. I had an exhaust so coming home from work I really didn't feel like having to rev to 8K to pass a car on the freeway all while sounding like the earths about to explode. Yeah you can downshift and blah blah to get into the sweet spot.

2. The Soft tops are absolutely terrible and wear very fast without tons of precaution.

3. The transmission while one of the best when new/or baby'd/maintained is in my opinion super fragile. As you can tell by all the threads on S2Ki the Syncros go to **** in no time driving it how it's meant meaning grinding/crunching in 1-2-3 and sometimes 4 every shift.

4. I am man enough to say when driven hard, the car is scary at the limit. I had an early AP1 and that thing would leave you facing oncoming traffic before you realized what happened.

All in all I think they are great cars for a day of blasting around and driving like you stole it. But when it comes to actually commuting with it's power band, lack of room, etc I think an Evo does a much better job while maintaining the ability to blast around and drive like you stole it.

What really pisses me off is the car is relatively unchanged over the course of 10 years or production. Yeah AP1->AP2 but in reality the changes are extremely minor.

Lastly the car is slow as balls. I remember what took me over the edge in deciding to sell it. I was merging onto the free way and a V6 Camry was in the lane beside me heading toward where both lanes merge into one. So I assumed he was gonna be a granny and take forever getting up to highway speed and I went half throttle to pass him. Suprisingly this guy floored it just as I was next to him and I did too. His Camry was quietly approaching red line while he sat in his comfy 4 door bath tub cruising along. Over here in the S2K I was sitting in a cramped cockpit buzzing the entire freeway to death revving to 9K just to barely pass this damn Camry.

Hahaha excellent review. I like the last bit. I've recently wanted to consider an s2k, but thanks you helped me keep my FP Red Evo IX.

Nelson999 Aug 13, 2010 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by compscibOi (Post 8581451)
Hahaha excellent review. I like the last bit. I've recently wanted to consider an s2k, but thanks you helped me keep my FP Red Evo IX.

i love my s2000 man, and in the top end it is really quick, from a roll i have pulled on my buddys 97 mustang cobra, a couple sti's. a 350z, and some other stuff. you would not regret getting an s2000, but for me, im switching to an evo because it will be a more practical daily driver

EvilT78supra Aug 14, 2010 10:47 AM

owned both, traded my 03 Ap1 S2 into Mistubishi for my 06 MR. I literally had to push it into the back lot on the day of the trade in....

My poor S2 went through hell and back, comptech supercharged with all the extras. Right down to shaving the 11 psi pulley to 16 psi and slapping a 75 shot on it for the extra reassurance.

Ive done it all (or at least as far as you can go without swapping head gaskets, head studs etc.) to make a long story short the S2 was fun, and third gear rubber was always a thrill but at the end of the day the EVO will always have my first choice. I still have a spare bare block I use as a boat anchor.

Thedark20 Aug 14, 2010 02:29 PM

I happen to think the evo can be quite stylish without having all the extra " oh this doesnt work anymore and now i have to pay 500 bucks to fix it" gadgets.. I mean come on now

If you need a car to tell you when your gonna bump into someone then maybe you shouldnt be f'ing driving

Now if you want a vehicle with some killer seats, leather side panels, sunroof and nothing hi-tech to break on you....than maybe an ssl evo is for you...plus the power is great! NUFF SAID

Nelson999 Aug 14, 2010 02:48 PM

^ lol i agree. i need a Evo now!!!. just need to find a buyer for my s2000, help me sell it!!!

heres a pic......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35683455@N03/4633321099/

EricLee7481 Aug 15, 2010 12:59 AM

I used to have a MY02 S2000, but now looking to get into an Evo IX MR. To me, while the S2000 is fun, but practicality wise, the Evo has the edge. I test drove an Evo IX MR SE, and fell in love with the turbo power :D

Eric

Thedark20 Aug 15, 2010 07:51 AM

OH your s2k is gorgeous LOL....if i didnt have my car I would want that bad boy!!

EvilT78supra Aug 15, 2010 01:16 PM

how much are you trying to sell it for and whats the milage I may be able to help....

If you dont find a buyer soon, better luck next spring.

Nelson999 Aug 15, 2010 01:55 PM

hey thanks evilsupra. heres all the info if you want to show someone.....
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...f=109&t=809907

UT_Evo Aug 15, 2010 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nelson999 (Post 8578521)
anyway if you have owned a s2k and an evo, or even just driven both cars, i would love to get your input on what you like better and why.

If it is your only car and a daily driver pretty much anywhere that experiences bad weather. The Evo wins for sure.

However, if I lived somewhere like AZ or something where there was little more than a bit of rain now and then... S2000 is way more fun to drive. Do a few mods to it, and it'll have everything the Evo has and more.

While I never "owned" an S2000. My dad did, and it was the car I got to drive in high school since my dad bought it instead of helping me with a car. Over about 4-5 years it slowly turned into our shared race car as well as me purchasing the Evo. Even the few times where the Evo was faster than the S. The S was always more fun to drive. Track or street. And no, that above wasn't a typo. Pretty much 95% of the time of owning both cars, the S2000 was always faster... More expensive... but faster. Especially at the end when it became a dedicated race car.

If I could, I would have an S2000 as my only car right now. A very late model one but not a CR. And by now it would be turbo'd and on some decent coilovers. Unfortunately then I'd be screwed probably about half the year...

Thedark20 Aug 16, 2010 08:10 AM

Not to hate or anything, but an s2k with bolt ons will not beat an Evo with bolt ons. Everbody knows that s2ks come with their power already pretty much pushed to the limit.

Bolt ons on s2ks are measly and you have to spend mad money to get your s2k where you want it

The Evo, you slap on a 30r and a walbro fuel pump, upgrade the exhaust and a MBC and your whippin that s2k.... Thats everyday knowledge

Nelson999 Aug 16, 2010 09:45 AM

Exactly. Trust me the only reason I put bolt ons on my s2000 was for sound. The only thing that makes a difference is different gears in the rear end. That's another reason I'm doing this switch is so I can make power a lot easier.

2LOFD3ATH Aug 16, 2010 10:06 AM

I'm probally going to pick up an s2000 for a daily driver. The evo is far to impractical to use. Being highly modified doesn't help either.

DeeezNuuuts83 Aug 16, 2010 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Morse (Post 8587124)
I'm probally going to pick up an s2000 for a daily driver. The evo is far to impractical to use. Being highly modified doesn't help either.

Would you mind explaining how a four-door sedan with a pretty decent trunk is "far too impractical" compared to a high-revving, relatively torqueless two-door convertible?

Nelson999 Aug 16, 2010 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Morse (Post 8587124)

yeah idk about that dude, but hell if you want one buy mine ;)
i love my s2000, but not if theres any type of wet weather, and god forbid it snows in your area.