EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Future Lancer / Evo Models (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/future-lancer-evo-models-113/)
-   -   Will outlander sport get RA trim? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/future-lancer-evo-models/523679-will-outlander-sport-get-ra-trim.html)

madfast Dec 2, 2010 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA (Post 8879774)
I would trade in my Ralliart for a performance version of the Outlander Sport. I think that that is a cool idea, and I think that it could compete with higher-priced SUVs that claim greater off-road utility. This is what Mitsubishi has done well over the past 15 years. They made a rally-car that could compete with anyone. Why does it not stand to reason that they could use that same heritage and technology to create a smaller SUV with a kick-ass sport package?

I think that this is why Mitsubishi is struggling. They are trying to create a car that is both sporty and fuel efficient. They suck at that.

and therein lies the problem. as of right now, those 2 are basically mutually exclusive imo. so i say just split it down the middle. the regular trims for economy, and sell it with that angle like they are already doing. RA trim for sport, and sell it like the lancer evo/RA. all the press coverage will be for the sporty version, just like the Evo, and that will help sell the economy verison, again just like the evo. without the evo, mitsu would never, EVER get mentioned in the automotive press... even the regular outlander is a GREAT package, yet NOBODY gives a crap... it's a good car, but it doesnt evoke an emotional response like sportscars do...

all i want is a cayenne turbo with 1/2 the performance for 1/4 of the price. a RA version of the outlander sport could be very close to this. subaru also doesnt give us the sporty versions of the forrester that they have in japan. only kia will give us a sportage sx. my problem with that car is that i dont like the styling and it will most likely go over $30k and i dont want to spend that much.

Edwin J Jan 14, 2011 04:46 PM

i really think they would do 1 but it wont sell imo

madfast Jan 15, 2011 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Edwin J (Post 8990240)
i really think they would do 1 but it wont sell imo

i disagree. the only thing people complain about is the lack of power and the engine noise because of the cvt.

add the 4b11t and 5mt/SST and you have a great, great package. if they can sell it with a msrp of $26-28k, it would be a winner for sure.

now that's not to say it will be an instant sales success. that would be up to mitsu to actually market it. first they need to MAKE a great product, then actually MARKET it...

in the US at least, they have failed miserably on both accounts and look where they are because of it....

elmerfud54 Jan 16, 2011 01:24 AM

yea their marketing sucks, the only reason i knew they were even coming out with a ralliart again was because my brothers worked for a mitsu dealership in 08. other than that i had never seen any advertisement for it....now that i think about it i rarely see the evo either on tv

Texas325 Jan 16, 2011 07:03 PM

I doubt that they will be a RA outlander sport. Probably something similar but with the 4B12 engine.

reboundicon Jan 16, 2011 07:47 PM

With the way Mitsubishi is going, this will never happen. They are gearing their cars towards a family market and trying to copy the rest of the manufacturers by going greener. Also these would never sell, because of Mitsubishi's poor marketing team.

madfast Jan 17, 2011 12:25 PM

well, they made an Outlander GT with "S-AWC" so i wouldnt count it out just yet... we all know the 4B11 bolts right up. and every review has complained with the lack of power and/or the oxymoronic name. i'd say mitsu is well on their way with SOMETHING. not necessarily a full blown turbo RA version but something...

reboundicon Jan 17, 2011 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 8996286)
well, they made an Outlander GT with "S-AWC" so i wouldnt count it out just yet... we all know the 4B11 bolts right up. and every review has complained with the lack of power and/or the oxymoronic name. i'd say mitsu is well on their way with SOMETHING. not necessarily a full blown turbo RA version but something...

I would love if they did something like this as well, but it just seems like the economy and market are going in the other direction if you look at the rest of the big auto manufacturers. I guess if mitsu decided to release something like this though, they would get the attention of the market who are dying for a car like this to be released.

Gregus Jan 18, 2011 04:55 AM

My wife has an Outlander Sport (Called RVR here in Canada). The sales manager at the dealer told me that a Ralliart version is coming.. no other details than that though!

madfast Jan 18, 2011 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by reboundicon (Post 8996888)
I would love if they did something like this as well, but it just seems like the economy and market are going in the other direction if you look at the rest of the big auto manufacturers. I guess if mitsu decided to release something like this though, they would get the attention of the market who are dying for a car like this to be released.

while i would love a full blown RA sport version, i doubt that it will happen the way i want it to happen. however, they NEED to have a sportier version, whatever it may be. 148 hp is PATHETIC and will put off MANY potential buyers, myself included. really, the only thing it has going for itself is the aggressive styling and the relatively low price, and that only gets you so far...

other manufacturers have more powerful offerings and are usually larger vehicles. so for them, downsizing is a good move. for mitsu, they should keep their cars small and add some more power. you DONT have to give up much, if any, in terms of fuel economy if you put in the money/engineering to do it right. for example, mitsu was one of the first to use direct injection, yet they dont have ANY models in the US that has that technology. hyundai? most of their engines are DI. what.... a.... shame....

SudzRA Jan 18, 2011 10:54 AM

I work for a Mitsu dealer in Canada. When we went for training on the RVR (Outlander Sport) we all asked about the lack of power and if a Ralliart version is in the works, to compete directly with the Nissan Juke. He said he would not confirm or deny. That's as far as it went for us. I haven't heard any other news on the subject, but an RA version would definately silence the critics.

reboundicon Jan 18, 2011 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 8998803)
while i would love a full blown RA sport version, i doubt that it will happen the way i want it to happen. however, they NEED to have a sportier version, whatever it may be. 148 hp is PATHETIC and will put off MANY potential buyers, myself included. really, the only thing it has going for itself is the aggressive styling and the relatively low price, and that only gets you so far...

other manufacturers have more powerful offerings and are usually larger vehicles. so for them, downsizing is a good move. for mitsu, they should keep their cars small and add some more power. you DONT have to give up much, if any, in terms of fuel economy if you put in the money/engineering to do it right. for example, mitsu was one of the first to use direct injection, yet they dont have ANY models in the US that has that technology. hyundai? most of their engines are DI. what.... a.... shame....

Agreed, Mitsubishi needs to do this if they want to stay competitive. A lot of Hyundai's are turning heads these days. They put guys like Honda, Toyota and even Mitsubishi to shame with their current and future offerings.

GPTourer Jan 22, 2011 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA (Post 8878916)
Also, when did the 6B31 (3.0L V6) come out? It seems that Mitsubishi has fitted the regular Outlander with this motor instead of the 3.8L (6g75?) that comes in the Eclipse...which is odd, because the older motor makes more power. I thought that that was the name of the game in an AWD SUV.

The name of the game with a tiny crossover like the Outlander Sport is to give people the upright seating of an SUV and the fuel economy of a small car. Sticking a boat anchor of an iron block of the 6G75 into it would totally defeat that purpose.

At home, my family keeps a 2007ish Honda Pilot to pull our boat with. Even that has a 3.8L V6, and it gets phenomenal gas-mileage for an SUV.
According to fueleconomy.gov the '07 4WD Pilot gets 15mpg city 20mpg hwy compared to the 4WD OSport's 24 and 29. I don't think that is phenomanal gas mileage. I think it is a huge difference between two vehicles that aren't in the same class. I wouldn't buy an OSport to pull a boat, nor would I expect a Pilot to get the same mileage as a small SUV either. Plus there's the difference in price.

However, it is still on the small side for the job that it is asked to perform.
When I sold Hondas I always thought people gave them too much juice. The gas mileage you call phenomenal is actually pretty sad when I could get a fullsized Tahoe or Chevy pickup with a v8 and get about the same mileage and pull whatever boat you have better. Plus it is a fullsized Tahoe or Chevy. The Pilot and Ridgeline were never impressive to me at all. 2007 Tahoe 4wd is 14/19 on the same site, BTW.

GNR Jan 22, 2011 11:41 AM

I think alot of ppls here is missing the Point...RVR was developed for people who wanted something bigger than the lancer or sportback, but wanted AWD and a small suv.. If they wanted more power and something bigger they would purchase a Outlander 2.4 or go up to 3.0 one instead. Check the price on mitsubishi website.. RVR VS Outlander is $4000-$5000 difference depends on the model. In canada you can purchase an lancer sportback ralliart for $33000 CDN, while the fully RVR GT price is 28900. Also the outlander XLS/GT is $33,900.. So how much Would they sell a RVR Ralliart one for, while you can purchase an sportback RALLIART WITH sst and S-AWC...

GNR Jan 22, 2011 11:43 AM

RVR main purpose was for Fuel Economy!!!!!!!