EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Engine Management / Tuning Forums (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-engine-management-tuning-forums-175/)
-   -   Lancer MAF Swap Step-by-Step Guide (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-engine-management-tuning-forums/437909-lancer-maf-swap-step-step-guide.html)

HornstarBU Feb 16, 2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mace1890 (Post 9968492)
has anyone taken that lip off of the maf? i just took it off of the stock maf for the oz the 605 and it opens it up to where its a little bigger then the 482 maybe the same size if not bigger then the 399 and i put the values in for the 399 with the 605 maf in and it ran great idk why no one has done this before or if they have i just havent seen the post but this can save us a lot of money its like you have the evo maf already instead of paying the 150 for the 399

I tried to remove mine, but couldn't. How did you get the cover off of yours? I went to speed density anyway, so it really doesn't matter at this point....curious though.

mace1890 Feb 16, 2012 11:29 AM

just had a small flat head screw driver and preyed it off it was on there pretty good though but with it off it runs just like a 399

eusgen Feb 19, 2012 06:29 AM

This is probably a stupid question but here it goes anyways.

Is the metal "honeycomb" thing that is in the middle of all the maf pictures you have posted important?

Does it have anything to do with airflow, etc.?

Mah stories: When I went to change my air filter after buying my car I saw that the honeycomb metal inside the maf had been punctured and it was starting to fall apart. I completely removed all of the metal pieces and shavings to prevent them from entering the engine.

Should I get a new maf with the honeycomb metal in it? or is it just a "screen" of sorts to keep "junk" out of the engine

Green_Bandit Feb 19, 2012 03:13 PM

Definitely not just a screen. You’re going to want to invest in a new one.

mace1890 Feb 19, 2012 09:59 PM

i happen to have a few for sell if you need one

03lances Feb 19, 2012 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by eusgen (Post 9976804)
This is probably a stupid question but here it goes anyways.

Is the metal "honeycomb" thing that is in the middle of all the maf pictures you have posted important?

Does it have anything to do with airflow, etc.?

Mah stories: When I went to change my air filter after buying my car I saw that the honeycomb metal inside the maf had been punctured and it was starting to fall apart. I completely removed all of the metal pieces and shavings to prevent them from entering the engine.

Should I get a new maf with the honeycomb metal in it? or is it just a "screen" of sorts to keep "junk" out of the engine

I am partial to keeping the honeycomb in there. The filter is what keeps the junk out of the engine, that honeycomb I believe is more for keeping a constant straight path of air going past the sensors located in the maf.

Now that being said some evo owners pushing higher boost levels will pull the honeycomb out for fear of the turbo literally sucking it in. So I guess its a toss up.

eusgen Feb 20, 2012 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by 03lances (Post 9978612)
I am partial to keeping the honeycomb in there. The filter is what keeps the junk out of the engine, that honeycomb I believe is more for keeping a constant straight path of air going past the sensors located in the maf.

Now that being said some evo owners pushing higher boost levels will pull the honeycomb out for fear of the turbo literally sucking it in. So I guess its a toss up.

I am curious because I have been running my car for probably a year without the honeycomb mesh in the maf and it still runs

HornstarBU Feb 20, 2012 08:02 AM

The honeycomb "straightens" the air as it comes in. If it's not there the air swirls around slightly, and lingers on the sensor longer than it should, giving the indication that more air is coming in than actually is. It makes the car run rich at idle pretty much, but not on all cars, depends on your intake setup, with a cone filter it will make more of a difference. I can't even run my 399 because the honeycomb is gone.

eusgen Feb 20, 2012 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by HornstarBU (Post 9979046)
The honeycomb "straightens" the air as it comes in. If it's not there the air swirls around slightly, and lingers on the sensor longer than it should, giving the indication that more air is coming in than actually is. It makes the car run rich at idle pretty much, but not on all cars, depends on your intake setup, with a cone filter it will make more of a difference. I can't even run my 399 because the honeycomb is gone.

I have a cone filter attached straight to the maf, basically a custom sri.

The car came like this when is bought it, there is an OBX racing adapter attached to the maf for a cone filter (origonally an ebay, now a nice fujita :thumbup:).

Also, I believe the code my car gets all the time is a lean code..

Green_Bandit Feb 21, 2012 09:21 AM

Some questions with MAF scaling, why is it that the scalings tend to go higher at 8000 through 14000 then drop back down at 16000?

Also what exactly does the smoothing table do?

RoadSpike Feb 21, 2012 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Green_Bandit (Post 9981874)
Some questions with MAF scaling, why is it that the scalings tend to go higher at 8000 through 14000 then drop back down at 16000?

Also what exactly does the smoothing table do?

Flow through the maf is the first tables value at super high velocity the maf tube becomes choked and flow decreases thats why you see lower values.

The maf smoothing table isn't a flow table at all its really like a VE table adjusting fuel for the flow rate not load. Since the evo's maf is huge its ability to measure low speed air flow is limited and essentially bad. At this idle range the measurement fuel to maf hz is no longer linear and needs to be adjusted down to compensate for the lack of air actually entering the chamber. You'll usually see low values at the first two maf smoothing spots and then higher to moderate levels later.

The correct scaling for maf smoothing is really percent 128. Adjust your scaling an it will become clear.

marcouxa1 Jul 25, 2012 02:56 PM

Can we use the evox maf and if so what are the maf scalings and sizes? is it bolt on just like all the others mantioned? thanks

jakermeister Jul 25, 2012 03:13 PM

Just use a evo 8/9 maf. Dont make things harder than they need to be.

marcouxa1 Jul 25, 2012 05:43 PM

It's quite hard to get an evo 8-9 maf here in quebec, canada! right now im using stock maf and it works pretty well...i was wondering what were the advantages of using an evo maf compare to stock maf before i buy one?

jakermeister Jul 25, 2012 08:42 PM

Read this sticky man. All the info is in the beginning.