EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner-357/)
-   -   No Evo could ever pull on a 911 (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner/67598-no-evo-could-ever-pull-911-a.html)

colateralgees Mar 3, 2004 08:21 PM

well, I couldn't help myself...after reading the April "Excellence" magazine (all about Porsches, in case you didn't know), I just had to go back and drop the following quote on 'em....

EXCELLENCE April 2004

In the article "The Top Ten Driver's Porsches," Feature Editor David Colman says, page 68:

"Unfortunately, the company (Porsche) has abandoned the value segment of the market to build cars affordable only to the rich. Since most of them can't drive, a proliferation of luxury items has supplanted performance options. Instead of gearsets, we get leather options. Instead of hard-core race goods, we get soft-core adorn. That's why you'll find the older, simpler, and sharper cars dominating my list. Give me a knife-edged 914-6 GT any day."

Actually, I like Jerry Seinfeld's take on the 993 Carrera RS 3.8 (1996) better, but Colman makes a point along the lines of what some of us Evo folks have been saying.

More fun. Less money. Period.

I still love my 928 too tho'....

rentaslut Mar 3, 2004 08:43 PM

I think all the porsche guys are forgetting the fact that mitsubishi was invented by the japanese and has a long heritage, even though it may not be rally, mitsubishi did indeed make those ZERO suicide fighters ??

The Mitsubishi A6M Zero-Sen legendary status mirrored the fortunes of the rising sun, in which four years, the sun would finally set. For the Japanese and its former enemies, the A6M was the symbol of Japanese air power. The A6M fighter marked the beginning of a new epoch in naval aviation and was the first shipboard fighter capable of surpassing land-based aircraft.1 With its tight turning radius, it was an extremely deadly weapon in a dogfight, and was famous for its ability to outmaneuver, Brewster F2A Buffaloes, Curtiss P-40s and Grumman F4F Wildcats. As early as 1937, Claire Chennault, the author of 'The Role of Defensive Pursuit,' warned the USAAF about the dangers of Japanese air power. Apparently his warnings were ignored, as the superiority of the A6M was a complete surprise to the American forces.2 As leader of the Flying Tigers, Chennault constantly stressed to his pilots, 'Never try to turn with a Zero. Always get above the enemy and try to hit him with the first pass.'3 Because of the A6Ms exceptional range and performance, it was to bear the brunt of the action, of almost every military engagement in the Pacific, until the end of the war.

STiDayDreamin' Mar 4, 2004 08:44 AM

I felt obligated to respond purely out of disgust. The ridiculous attitudes that seem so prevalent over there are worthy of outright laughter....I've had a few Porsche owners compliment me on my STi....I'd like to think what I just read 8 pages of are the minority....as the alternative is just too damned depressing. They can look down their nose at me as I blow their doors off....and laugh all the way to the bank with my 70+k, too.

twan Mar 4, 2004 11:01 AM

so what porsche can the evo take out
which can they not

im talking highway pull

onet0nsoup Mar 4, 2004 03:47 PM

i was in a parkin lot one day...while parkin the car...i saw a empty spot next a a g35 coupe and a carrera S4...i ended up parkin next to the G35 cause when i spotted the 2 car....i said "OH, a nice G35 coupe..."

absinthe Mar 4, 2004 03:53 PM

Evo stock higway pull will have a hard time with any present day(2004) 911 and will in most cases loose.

it will however smoke all other porsches besides the Cayenne Turbo.

Congrats on the find though that is the WORST of all porsche boards. Try the one at Pelican Parts that is the way a message board should be, all cars few ego's and even less BS

steve c Mar 4, 2004 04:02 PM

I don't know if it's because of unspoken glitches, or that according to so many reviews, the 996 TT is "soulless".
There are no glitches -- in fact the TT's are the most reliable of the bunch. No RMS issues. The reason the price has dropped more quickly than it did with the 993TT's is because of the supply versus demand principle. There were very few 993TT's produced over a two year run for the States. The ratio of 993TT to 996TT is nearly 10 to 1.

I would also argue that the car is not "soulless" -- a little less raw than the 993, but still very competent and very quick.

Can you build a quicker car for less money? Sure. A friend purchased a 99 LS1 Camaro recently with the intention of doing just that. With less than a thousand in it I am only barely walking him from highway roll-ons. For another 2 grand he will reverse that order. His total cash outlay will be 15k. That's a great bargain.

I don't know why so many folks here are getting bent out of shape over what some non enthusaist idiots write. The fact that these people own Porsches is secondary to their ignorance and they should not be looked upon as your average Porsche owner.

So I said well if you do a little homework you will see that for 1/2 the price you can get the same performance and handling,
Ehh -- maybe. Numbers are one thing, and I can build a 5,000 dollar mustang that handles better and is faster than a 100,000 dollar Porsche ... but ....

SinCityEvo Mar 4, 2004 04:36 PM

There is no way in hell you can take a rustang and make it out-handle a 100K porsche. Straight-line speed, yes, maybe not street legal anymore, but not handling. There are no suspension parts in the world that could bolt on the rustang and make it handle like a super car. It's a bloated pig only good for going straight. Maybe if you monster garage it and build a whole new chassis, but that's not reality. Retarted comment :rolleyes:

stevEVO8 Mar 4, 2004 05:18 PM

You guys wanna really piss them off; someone can photochop the picture of the evo and the retard kid and put porche owner on his vest.... post that up on their board.

steve c Mar 4, 2004 05:27 PM

There is no way in hell you can take a rustang and make it out-handle a 100K porsche. Straight-line speed, yes, maybe not street legal anymore, but not handling. There are no suspension parts in the world that could bolt on the rustang and make it handle like a super car. It's a bloated pig only good for going straight. Maybe if you monster garage it and build a whole new chassis, but that's not reality. Retarted comment
Rustang huh. You don't beat around the bush when it comes to demonstrating your ignorance eh.

A mustang can be stripped and caged well below 3000 pounds without too much effort. There are dozens of kits available, most of them quite cheap which change the geometry of the suspension and fix nearly all of the inherent issues.

As someone who has tracked along with A sedan and T2 Mustangs -- not to mention owned a DOHC Cobra and 911TT -- and tracked both -- I am speaking from experience, and it appears you are speaking from your ass.

jasonc32amg Mar 4, 2004 05:37 PM

Originally posted by steve c

Rustang huh. You don't beat around the bush when it comes to demonstrating your ignorance eh.

A mustang can be stripped and caged well below 3000 pounds without too much effort. There are dozens of kits available, most of them quite cheap which change the geometry of the suspension and fix nearly all of the inherent issues.

As someone who has tracked along with A sedan and T2 Mustangs -- not to mention owned a DOHC Cobra and 911TT -- and tracked both -- I am speaking from experience, and it appears you are speaking from your ass.

You don't even have to get that radical. I had a '92 mustang coupe while I was in grad school and I managed to piece together a full griggs suspension (CO's in front, K-member, 3-link in back) and that car would handle with the best of them. I would never try to compare it to a TT or even an Evo. I view the Evo much in the same way as themustangs I've had, they are kit cars. I would never be happy withmy Evo stock as it is relatively gutless over 5000rpm. Now, with the few mods I have, it's pretty fun and has the speed to complement the handling. When i was looking for a weekend car I was initially scoping an '03 cobra, but I decided the start with a competant chassis this time :)

Rollaway Mar 4, 2004 05:41 PM

I would like a porsche owner say that to my face

dpardo Mar 4, 2004 06:37 PM

I used to lust after a 911TT but the allure has diminished significantly since I got my EVO. In fact, I am not sure that I will ever buy one now.

I am definitely not in the business of buying cars for prestige. Sports cars are meant to be driven hard and enjoyed. The EVO simply excels in the raw-driving-pleasure category.

Some Porsche owners (and others) just don't understand where we are coming from but once they experience some well-driven EVOs at the track they will!

colateralgees Mar 4, 2004 07:00 PM

Originally posted by dpardo
I used to lust after a 911TT but the allure has diminished significantly since I got my EVO. In fact, I am not sure that I will ever buy one now.

I am definitely not in the business of buying cars for prestige. Sports cars are meant to be driven hard and enjoyed. The EVO simply excels in the raw-driving-pleasure category.

absolutely agree....exactly what I've been saying to anyone that will listen (and some that try very hard not to!)...even my hard-core 928 friend from the U.K. was pleasantly surprised when he visited lately

it's all about the fun fun fun...

steve c Mar 7, 2004 01:05 PM

Umm -- how can you say that without ever driving a 911 TT ...