EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner-357/)
-   -   Met a Porsche Boxster (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner/69925-met-porsche-boxster.html)

loj68 Mar 9, 2004 08:33 AM

Originally posted by hueman

please refer to the best motoring int'l volume 6 (i believe? the Z shock dvd) ... the porsche gets completely owned by every car on the course, including a 350z and an m3. it truly is a funny sight. dead last, and the driver was stuck saying things like "look at how great this interior is!" or "the ladies love this car" as he puttered along.

both the 2000 s2k and boxster s have the same 1/4 mile times (per motortrend and car and driver, respectively). i can't find anything specifically on their handling attributes. but for a car that costs 20-30k more than the s2k, and operates in the same essential category, it's simply not worth the money.

unless you've driven one it's probably easy to assume that it's not worth the $$$.....but the fact is the Boxster S is in another class altogether from the S2000. You'll be hard pressed to find any motoring press to say that the Boxster is overpriced or underperforming.......rather they're usually giving it awards by the armful and speaking highly about how utterly composed the car is and how sweet the torque curve is. Bottom line is when you drive a Porsche you know where the extra $$$ was spent.......just ask an owner.

USP45 Mar 12, 2004 12:08 PM

I have been out driving numerous times in my Evo with the Maverick Region Porsche Club, the Boxter's and especially the S' are no joke. They handle great and are very balenced, even the normal Boxter's have performed very well. They may not be the epitome of performance on the track, but on the street where most people will not go above 90% of the handleing capability of their car they work great. One of the guys in the group has both a 996 turbo and a Boxter S, and on twisty roads he preffers to drive the Boxter. He loves the power of the turbo and it does handle extremely well, but he likes driving the Boxter due to the balence and it is just more challenging and rewarding at the same time. He takes both out to Motorsport Ranch outside of Dallas quite a bit and he actually preffers the Boxter on the track as well. Different strokes for different folks, he just happens to have both strokes! :lol:

tweakdsm Mar 12, 2004 12:12 PM

for me its either 911T or GT2 :-) or old 86 911 Turbo:)))))))

LancerEvoMR Mar 12, 2004 01:27 PM

<Unneeded posts deleted. User GrimDog is warned and thread banned. Keep it on topic. Carry on.>

mksevo Mar 12, 2004 02:44 PM

as someone said so nicely Porsche boxster is like a Porsche with Panties. {moon}

old 79 930 turbo slantnose {OMG}

jcnel_evo8 Mar 12, 2004 02:50 PM

more repect

Respect is sometimes better given to the Indian, or sometimes better given to the Arrow.

jcnel.

mksevo Mar 12, 2004 03:03 PM

Man who stands on toilet High on Pot.
{blob}

loj68 Mar 12, 2004 07:31 PM

Originally posted by mksevo
as someone said so nicely Porsche boxster is like a Porsche with Panties. {moon}

then since the 911 was built on many parts of the boxster (notably the engine and the front end) then I guess that makes them a pantymobile too huh? We've got to put some rule here that you can't write dumb **** like this about a car unless you've actually been in one. The boxster is a new reincarnation ot the 550 Spyder......the boxster is pure Porsche sports car to the core....no panties included.

mksevo Mar 12, 2004 07:42 PM

Well, since i have been in one and have friends that own them. I guess i can say its a panty mobile. Seems you need to get into a new 911 or 911 turbo, just because it says P on it doesnt mean there Sh$t dont stink, for 50,000 + you had better be right. My 40,000 M roadster toasted this car day and night, my friend with the boxster S rode in my car and said he would have purchased it had he any idea of the difference. sorry your taste is left on this car. I was not impressed with the 928 and the 944 left much to be desired, as well as the 914. really wanted one until i drove it. only great class was the 914/6 now thats a car. If anyone should be banned how about you for comparing the boxster to a wonderful /psychotic car like the spyder. maybe you should ask more before you spout off. not all of us on the forum are 20 with a new car.

gt40 Mar 12, 2004 07:46 PM

both the 2000 s2k and boxster s have the same 1/4 mile times... blah blah blah
I have yet to meet an s2000 owner who wasn't a prick although I have met a few boxster owners who were cool. The deciding factor being whether they took there car to the track or not. An any case it is pointless to debate which is "better" - just rip their doors off with a built evo {devil}

loj68 Mar 12, 2004 08:14 PM

Originally posted by mksevo
Well, since i have been in one and have friends that own them. I guess i can say its a panty mobile. Seems you need to get into a new 911 or 911 turbo, just because it says P on it doesnt mean there Sh$t dont stink, for 50,000 + you had better be right. My 40,000 M roadster toasted this car day and night, my friend with the boxster S rode in my car and said he would have purchased it had he any idea of the difference. sorry your taste is left on this car. I was not impressed with the 928 and the 944 left much to be desired, as well as the 914. really wanted one until i drove it. only great class was the 914/6 now thats a car. If anyone should be banned how about you for comparing the boxster to a wonderful /psychotic car like the spyder. maybe you should ask more before you spout off. not all of us on the forum are 20 with a new car.
OMG.....like I said....if you're gonna respond to this thread PLEASE PLEASE know what the hell you're talking about. You see, it's not me comparing the boxster to the 550 spyder.....IT'S PORSCHE THEMSELVES!!!! They built it as a successor to the spyder and have even release a special version of the boxster (a "550 spyder" version) for the 50th anniversary of the 550. It even has a badge on it saying so and they only come in spyder silver. Here's some words from Porsche themselves:

"The Porsche Boxster is a worthy successor to the legendary 550 Spyder dating from 1953: common to both are the mid-engined roadster concept, low weight, excellent agility, and a high level of driving pleasure. Porsche is now celebrating the 50th birthday of the 550 Spyder by launching a powerful Boxster S special edition limited to 1953 units and bearing the name '50 Years of the 550 Spyder"

so if your friend would rather have an M Roadster, that's fine....it's a cool little car too. I don't like the boxster just because it's a Porsche....I'll call a turd a turd all day long......it's just a wonderful little car.....and automotive experts around the world. It's been chosen car of the year by 3 of the major auto mags and one of the 10 best by another a few times. That along with similar awards from automotive press around the world agree. People who know cars know the boxster is the quinessential roadster and is pure Porsche. So where do the "panties" come in??? Next you're gonna tell me the Elise is just a Lotus with panties cuz it only has 190hp and costs $40k and a big brother with twice the hp and price tag in the Esprit.

WestSideBilly Mar 12, 2004 08:55 PM

Originally posted by loj68
the Boxster S has 20 more HP and 70 more ft/lb of torque than an S2000 .....couple that with the 6 speed manual plus a mid-engine layout, a very low center of gravity, and cross drilled/vented disc brakes and you're talking about a car that should run from an S2000 on the track. You pay a premium for this car because Porsche engineers build an incredibly high quality product (see JD Power initial quality ratings) using top notch materials all designed to perform. Also keep in mind that many parts of the Boxster were actually used in the new 996 series 911's and not vice versa......notably the engine. My guess is that anyone who thinks this way about a Boxster S hasn't been in one. When you buy a Porsche you DO get what you pay for.....whether it's their little roadsters or high end supercars. Just ask people who own them and the automotive press who puts the Boxster on their "10 Best" lists regularly.
It should, but it doesn't. 18 more horsepower, a much wider torque band, but 200-300 lbs more weight.

The Boxster S does not outperform the S2000 in any way (look at SCCA times if you don't believe me). It is much nicer in terms of ease of use, comfort, and panache; and it is much easier to drive at its limit. Whether or not you're willing to shell out $20-35,000 more for a Boxster S depends on your priorities in life, and that includes how much value you place in prestige.

WestSideBilly Mar 12, 2004 08:58 PM

Originally posted by loj68
I never understood why people thought this......the Boxster is 100% pure Porsche in every sense of the word......it's a little mid-engine roadster with a strong engine.......just because it's not a twin turbo beast costing $90k doesn't mean it's not a great car. It makes the 10 best lists of about every car mag each year since it was released. People who think that the Boxster is just bought by those who want a "cheap" Porsche really don't know Porsches or the wants/needs of roadster buyers.
There are a lot of people who buy Boxster's for the P-car logo; the same is true of many other cars (BMW 318ti anyone?). But there are also a lot of enthusiasts who realize it's a great car.

The magazine racers will never appreciate the Boxster. Let them live in their ignorance.

WestSideBilly Mar 12, 2004 09:02 PM

Originally posted by gt40
I have yet to meet an s2000 owner who wasn't a prick although I have met a few boxster owners who were cool. The deciding factor being whether they took there car to the track or not. An any case it is pointless to debate which is "better" - just rip their doors off with a built evo {devil}
I know 5 former S2000 owners who bought Evo8s - guess they're all pricks too? Or what about the 2 that traded their S2000s in on a Boxster S - also pricks? You can't judge a person by their car, and if you're trying to do so, that's probably why you've had those results.

Also, see my comments on magazine racers. :rolleyes:

mksevo Mar 12, 2004 10:58 PM

as was mentioned before drive them , then you decide. a boxster will never be a 911. porsche is Porsche. I am sorry i didnt get to drive one of the 1953 limited editions, I bet you didnt either so why are you saying this " People who know cars know the boxster is the quinessential roadster" subjective , his / their, this is mine . just live with it. I would hope you would make yours with more than a couple of article from Car Rags. believe me they dont tell you everything. thats why i dont own the pick of every car rag. i chose.

enjoy . :updown: