Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Met a Porsche Boxster

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2004, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Met a Porsche Boxster

I never thought these cars were so low and compact !!

It sounded nice, asked the guy his mods, he said intake, exhausts and some porting.. all i could do was drop my jaw

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Met a Porsche Boxster-boxster-servo.jpg  
Old Mar 7, 2004, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

just me, but a boxster is nothing to drop a jaw over, but then again they could be super rare in you're parts.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, we don't have many where we are.. kinda like Proper Imports like an S13 with a Factory fitted SR20 or a Skyline..
Old Mar 7, 2004, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

I understand
Old Mar 7, 2004, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

what up garibaldi ... just cuz you have a porche and you want an evo, doesnt mean porsche arent hot anymore lol.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

over here boxter is the weakest porshe. theres tons of turbos and carreras and a lambo every once in a while
Old Mar 8, 2004, 05:36 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
I see Boxsters all the time, even in podunk Indiana.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

I'd LOVE to have a Boxster S but I don't think it will happen because for that price (in the mid $50k's) I'm into a new C6 Vette all day long
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Boxsters are meh. I don't look at them with the same respect as other Porsches.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

people who buy boxters are just people that want to show incultured people, that they drive a porsche..knowing that the boxter is the cheapest porsche, and to the carguy it sucks
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Charlie-GT
people who buy boxters are just people that want to show incultured people, that they drive a porsche..knowing that the boxter is the cheapest porsche, and to the carguy it sucks

I never understood why people thought this......the Boxster is 100% pure Porsche in every sense of the word......it's a little mid-engine roadster with a strong engine.......just because it's not a twin turbo beast costing $90k doesn't mean it's not a great car. It makes the 10 best lists of about every car mag each year since it was released. People who think that the Boxster is just bought by those who want a "cheap" Porsche really don't know Porsches or the wants/needs of roadster buyers.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you shoulda been like.. nice 350z convertible.

and the porsche is just way too slow in its category. it doesn't begin to hold up to say.. an s2k in a road course.... and for like 20k more? geez.

the boxster truly is a reflection of the term "buying something for the name"
Old Mar 9, 2004, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by hueman

and the porsche is just way too slow in its category. it doesn't begin to hold up to say.. an s2k in a road course.... and for like 20k more? geez.

the boxster truly is a reflection of the term "buying something for the name"
the Boxster S has 20 more HP and 70 more ft/lb of torque than an S2000 .....couple that with the 6 speed manual plus a mid-engine layout, a very low center of gravity, and cross drilled/vented disc brakes and you're talking about a car that should run from an S2000 on the track. You pay a premium for this car because Porsche engineers build an incredibly high quality product (see JD Power initial quality ratings) using top notch materials all designed to perform. Also keep in mind that many parts of the Boxster were actually used in the new 996 series 911's and not vice versa......notably the engine. My guess is that anyone who thinks this way about a Boxster S hasn't been in one. When you buy a Porsche you DO get what you pay for.....whether it's their little roadsters or high end supercars. Just ask people who own them and the automotive press who puts the Boxster on their "10 Best" lists regularly.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 02:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by loj68

I never understood why people thought this......the Boxster is 100% pure Porsche in every sense of the word......it's a little mid-engine roadster with a strong engine.......just because it's not a twin turbo beast costing $90k doesn't mean it's not a great car. It makes the 10 best lists of about every car mag each year since it was released. People who think that the Boxster is just bought by those who want a "cheap" Porsche really don't know Porsches or the wants/needs of roadster buyers.

AMEN BROTHA
almost the same thing happened when the 4gen F-bodies LT1 camaros came out. "Poor mans corvette"
Old Mar 9, 2004, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by loj68

the Boxster S has 20 more HP and 70 more ft/lb of torque than an S2000 .....couple that with the 6 speed manual plus a mid-engine layout, a very low center of gravity, and cross drilled/vented disc brakes and you're talking about a car that should run from an S2000 on the track. You pay a premium for this car because Porsche engineers build an incredibly high quality product (see JD Power initial quality ratings) using top notch materials all designed to perform. Also keep in mind that many parts of the Boxster were actually used in the new 996 series 911's and not vice versa......notably the engine. My guess is that anyone who thinks this way about a Boxster S hasn't been in one. When you buy a Porsche you DO get what you pay for.....whether it's their little roadsters or high end supercars. Just ask people who own them and the automotive press who puts the Boxster on their "10 Best" lists regularly.
please refer to the best motoring int'l volume 6 (i believe? the Z shock dvd) ... the porsche gets completely owned by every car on the course, including a 350z and an m3. it truly is a funny sight. dead last, and the driver was stuck saying things like "look at how great this interior is!" or "the ladies love this car" as he puttered along.

both the 2000 s2k and boxster s have the same 1/4 mile times (per motortrend and car and driver, respectively). i can't find anything specifically on their handling attributes. but for a car that costs 20-30k more than the s2k, and operates in the same essential category, it's simply not worth the money.