EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Motor Sports (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports-15/)
-   -   Official AutoPower Roll Bar Thread (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports/604547-official-autopower-roll-bar-thread.html)

gotpsi? Sep 27, 2013 05:55 AM

Maybe I missed it but I don't recal seeing any pics if cars on track in this thread yet, this is the motor sports section right?

golgo13 Sep 27, 2013 10:02 AM

I'm here for the hard parked evos.

You?

There is this thread though:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...track-evo.html

MinusPrevious Sep 27, 2013 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by gotpsi? (Post 10971061)
Maybe I missed it but I don't recal seeing any pics if cars on track in this thread yet, this is the motor sports section right?

As Noah mentioned, heres is a car hard parked at the track:D BTW, Not sure if you know Zhong who runs Button & Willow but he just ran a 1:46 at Fontana. First time at the track. That time is super fast topping all entries I ran with that day

Our rolly bar thread has been dead lately. Not really Sticky worthy:updown:

http://imageshack.us/a/img20/1403/lj9m.jpg

EGbeater Sep 28, 2013 04:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gotpsi? (Post 10971061)

No point in posting pics of the car on-track to show the roll bar, but okay:

Also, my Autopower roll bar is for sale (EDIT 12/3/14: *** NOW SOLD ***): https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...pads-more.html

Attachment 276953

Attachment 276954

Attachment 276955

killerpenguin21 Oct 1, 2013 10:17 AM

couldnt find it...but has anyone gotten hard data on how much shorter the sunroof model is than non sunroof?

MinusPrevious Oct 1, 2013 05:08 PM

^^^Just call AP in San Deigo

Knowing what we know now, I would have attempted to acquire a sunroof model due to the plates some of us use

delongedoug Oct 1, 2013 05:43 PM

^ This. I'd still have a full interior. :(

killerpenguin21 Oct 1, 2013 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious (Post 10975246)
^^^Just call AP in San Deigo

Knowing what we know now, I would have attempted to acquire a sunroof model due to the plates some of us use

thats exactly why im asking. figured id see if anyone had already made the call lol. ill see what i can get from them.

boostincincy Oct 9, 2013 01:19 PM

Does everyone remove the carpet to install the plates? I had the plates made, and am doing the roll bar this weekend.

So do I remove all of the carpet, just some, or none?

MinusPrevious Oct 9, 2013 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by boostincincy (Post 10983411)
Does everyone remove the carpet to install the plates? I had the plates made, and am doing the roll bar this weekend.

So do I remove all of the carpet, just some, or none?

Go to the top of page 7. Youll see my install w/the plates. Also, go to page 5 if you want to see how the carpet was slit so you can roll in back in place.

Bear mind if you have a non sunroof roll bar & still have a head liner getting the plates in is a real PITA. I used 3/16" plate & I still have a liner but its really tight

If you have any questions let me know. Also, post up pics of your install please!

Joe

boostincincy Oct 9, 2013 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious (Post 10983490)
Go to the top of page 7. Youll see my install w/the plates. Also, go to page 5 if you want to see how the carpet was slit so you can roll in back in place.

Bear mind if you have a non sunroof roll bar & still have a head liner getting the plates in is a real PITA. I used 3/16" plate & I still have a liner but its really tight

If you have any questions let me know. Also, post up pics of your install please!

Joe

thanks a lot!! and will do of course!

Sawdust Oct 15, 2013 05:13 AM

Excellent thread, thanks to all who have contributed. I'm thinking about doing this over the winter and have a question about the inside rear mounting: Would it make any sense to use extra plates there as well, similar to the floor?

Yes, I'm only doing DE. Would go full welded if things got serious...

MinusPrevious Oct 15, 2013 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sawdust (Post 10988685)
Excellent thread, thanks to all who have contributed. I'm thinking about doing this over the winter and have a question about the inside rear mounting: Would it make any sense to use extra plates there as well, similar to the floor?

Yes, I'm only doing DE. Would go full welded if things got serious...

I agree. Adding plates at the rear wheel well would certainly add strength

The problem we have encountered is the roll bar height w/the stock head liner. Dont think std roll bar w/headliner & rear plates would work

No one has posted the fitment of the sunroof model which is shorter in height. Thats the bar to use IMO

Sawdust Oct 15, 2013 09:47 AM

I'd definitely go with the sunroof model based on posts here and elsewhere, probably with the bolt-in cross brace and harness bar options as well. Trying to keep all the interior where possible to make sure I can go back to stock if needed.

If I do pull the trigger, I'll make sure to at least attempt 3/16" rear plates. From the pics, there doesn't seem to be much of a flat spot on the wheel well before a serious bend would be needed. I'll report back either way.

UPDATE: Approved by the finance committee. Race Roll Bar part number for the Evo X is 60953 and there isn't a different number for the sunroof version. It just needs to be specified when ordering, which I did along with the bolt-on cross brace and bolt-on harness bar options. Lead time is 4 weeks. Floor plates fab'd by local Metal Supermarket.

boostincincy Oct 22, 2013 07:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the rollbar install, it was bought by a member on here, built by a shop in San Fran called TC Designs, and it was a bit different than an Autopower in that the feet are at the actual corners of the floor, so they came with "risers" which fixed the feet to the floor. I also had the extra floor plates made long before the roll bar came, after reading/talking to people on here. However once I did the install is when I realized that I couldn't use the plates, at least until I modify this rollbar in it's current state.

But the fitment is perfect otherwise, extremely snug to the headliner, and doors open/close just barely clearing the interior.

The one unsettling part of the install is just how easy it is to drill through the floor of the car.

I also have never installed harness' before so I used the stock lap belt mounts as they were within spec of different install guides (I used the Schroth and G Force PDF's). I also used Hardware/giant backing plates from Jegs to bolt the antisubmarine straps to the floor.