EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Motor Sports (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports-15/)
-   -   Spinning front, inside tire. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports/749083-spinning-front-inside-tire.html)

LetsGetThisDone Jan 11, 2019 10:19 AM

The clutch plates aren't going to wear that much. My point with a fresh built trans is that it's going to make wayyyyy more metal in the oil than the plate diff could ever dream of, and no builder says you need to change the fluid before 500 miles. Let alone 3 times in the first 50 miles.

kyoo Jan 11, 2019 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11856298)
The clutch plates aren't going to wear that much. My point with a fresh built trans is that it's going to make wayyyyy more metal in the oil than the plate diff could ever dream of, and no builder says you need to change the fluid before 500 miles. Let alone 3 times in the first 50 miles.

uhh tell that to my cusco readdiff when i first got it. completely grey thick fluid after the bestb in. anyway that's what id do ooverkill or not.

heel2toe Jan 11, 2019 11:47 AM

As Sean mentioned however the majority of that grey youre seeing in the fluid is the moly that Jon uses when assembling.

LetsGetThisDone Jan 11, 2019 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by kyoo
uhh tell that to my cusco readdiff when i first got it. completely grey thick fluid after the bestb in. anyway that's what id do ooverkill or not.

Didn't TRE install that for you? That's all that moly lube I was talking about, not the diff clutch packs...

The instructions Jon provides with his stuff even notes that..

Dallas J Jan 11, 2019 02:28 PM

Jon loves his moly. Probably bathes with it ;)

kyoo Jan 11, 2019 02:42 PM

Evo shop installed filled return regular gear oil. that kind of mone isn't what you'd want in fluid shared with trans either

heel2toe Jan 11, 2019 02:42 PM

Lol, Jon needs to lay off the moly. He's a character haha!

LetsGetThisDone Jan 11, 2019 02:46 PM

I'm willing to get it was assembly lube of some kind. If the clutch wore that much for break in, they wouldn't work anymore or the diff would be significantly looser than desired.

kyoo Jan 11, 2019 04:16 PM

it very well may be - i've got a brand new OSG in the car, with sight glass so i'll take a look at short intervals via the sight glass.

Ayoustin Jan 11, 2019 04:46 PM

Just weld the diffs. All 3 of them.

Construct Jan 11, 2019 08:04 PM

I picked up a spare transfer case. Probably going to ship it to TRE to have it refreshed and install the Wavetrac for track use because why not.

I see both Jacks and Shep offer a ring and pinion upgrade, but I've heard TRE prefers the OEM parts (unconfirmed). What's the current opinion on upgraded ring & pinion sets? Waste of money?

kaj Jan 11, 2019 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Construct (Post 11856398)
I picked up a spare transfer case. Probably going to ship it to TRE to have it refreshed and install the Wavetrac for track use because why not.

I see both Jacks and Shep offer a ring and pinion upgrade, but I've heard TRE prefers the OEM parts (unconfirmed). What's the current opinion on upgraded ring & pinion sets? Waste of money?

I think I remember Jon telling me they aren't a point of failure unless they are seriously abused. In which case you would have other problems as well.

Ayoustin Jan 11, 2019 10:44 PM

Jacks and Shep cater more to the drag racing crowd which is why they offer the ring and pinion upgrades.

LetsGetThisDone Jan 12, 2019 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Construct

Waste of money.

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Jacks and Shep cater more to the drag racing crowd which is why they offer the ring and pinion upgrades.

TRE has cars in the 8's on the OEM ring and pinion.

Ayoustin Jan 12, 2019 10:26 AM

I didn't say TRE doesn't build stuff for drag cars. I was just saying the other two (who offer these upgrades) don't do nearly as many road course builds compared to drag stuff.