EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Project Cars / Build Threads (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/project-cars-build-threads-344/)
-   -   Kracka's GheyrodX - bigger, fatter, gheyer! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/project-cars-build-threads/596946-krackas-gheyrodx-bigger-fatter-gheyer.html)

Acree Dec 9, 2012 08:17 AM

500rpm of spool for 13hp? Noooope. Definitely need to try the other housing, or going back to the EF2. Go up a couple of pounds and you'll have the same results.

-Acree

Kracka Dec 9, 2012 08:35 AM

More like 400, but yes, I would like to try the standard cover. I'm thinking that would cut the loss in half and bring back some of the response too which I would then be very satisfied with. I can't just add more boost on the EF2, it was already at 27, anything beyond that is going to start getting into unsafe territory, or at the expense of timing. The EF2 was safely maxed out for my setup (stock cams/pump gas).

Kracka Dec 9, 2012 09:44 AM

I just got back from a pretty good drive and the car really does rip and pulls hard all the way to rev-limiter! It drives really smooth throughout the RPM range, I'm giving thanks to the anti-surge for that. I would like to get a touch of response and spool back though, so I'm thinking it would be ideal to give up a bit of that smoothness in the name of response and swap over to the standard cover. I'm questioning whether this turbo actually needs the anti-surge ports.

It was tuned to the same safe level as my EF2, neither were held back, but neither were pushed to the absolute edge in order to keep the car safe and reliable on a daily-basis. The power curve is definitely different, once the turbo spools there were torque and horsepower gains throughout.

Kracka Dec 22, 2012 03:01 PM

Here are my latest results, these are with the standard 3" compressor cover rather than the 3" anti-surge cover. This seems to be the winning setup if you ask me; 200 RPM quicker spool, better response, more torque, nearly identical horsepower, and of course one less option to pay for :)

http://www.dsmstyle.com/photopost/da..._EF2_5_std.jpg

Driving impressions are great! No surge issues could be felt and it drove very nicely. Initial impressions are it drives just as smooth as the anti-surge version, but give me another few days to truly experience the turbo in more scenarios. Oddly enough, turbo intake noise is slightly more with the standard cover than with the anti-surge version.

My final verdict: Standard cover is the way to get this turbo! Spool/response loss is acceptable for the gains vs. the EF2.

Kracka Jan 10, 2013 12:54 PM

EF2 vs. EF2.5A/S vs. EF2.5std:

http://accessecu.com/dyno/graph.php?...rgb3=000153000

black evil evo Feb 6, 2013 05:58 AM

Motor Oil ?

With all these miles on the MAP turbo, which oil do you use?
My ported and coated EF2 should be here soon. I have a Cobb high flow cat on the car now. I am wondering if the high zinc oils will damage the cat. I also would like to keep the turbo in good condition. I daily drive and do track days with the car.

Kracka Feb 6, 2013 05:59 AM

Mobil 1 10W-30 Extended Protection beginning with the EF2.5. I ran the stock turbo and EF2 on regular Mobil 1 10W-30. I switched to 10W-30 at 5k miles when I drained the factory-fill Mobil 1 5W-30 oil. I've used nothing but OEM Mitsu oil filters for the life of the car.

On my IX I ran nothing but Mobil 1 10W-30 with OEM Mitsu filters too.

ninj4sevo8 Feb 6, 2013 06:58 AM

Well I've always wanted an X, I'll probably get one, and turn my viii into a 100% track car. I am curious though, if you could just pitch out a rough number of how much roughly all these parts and tuning costed you i.e 10k-15k, 15k-20k, I understand you got some friends on the business side of things but just roughly if one were to apply full bolt-ons to an X how much it would run them :D
I just spent an hour at work reading every page, its probably the best build thread I've read in a long time haha, very well documented with pictures and most importantly dyno charts!! Thank you for all this, it's very tedious work and I was excited to read it haha Also the evo community in vegas, talking with someone they said the 2011+ evo X's are the best because of their factory tune, not having problems like the 2008-2010 model... I wouldn't know anything about this, just seeing if you had some insight on that.

Kracka Feb 6, 2013 07:18 AM

2008's seem to be the only ones with slight flaws, but 2010+ did get quite a few overall improvements. The factory tune has improved every year, but as soon as you flash on an OTS map or custom tune the playing field is level. Vs. the 2008 the 2010+ did get some interior refinements (better RF stereo, higher quality leather, etc.), stronger plastic CMC, better diff pins, and the piston ring issue seems to have been corrected as well. One thing to watch out for with the 2008-2010 is the transfer case being over-filled with gear oil from the factory. By now they should all have had their fluids changed though so it's no longer a concern assuming proper maintenance has been done.

I'm not going to put a dollar amount to it, but I will say it's roughly in the same ballpark as modding a VIII or IX. Most of the parts cost about the same. The only thing I've really noticed being more expensive are catbacks (dual vs. single) and tires (18" vs. 17"). The rest of the mod-path and maintenance are roughly the same.

Thank you for taking the time to read and giving me feedback!

ninj4sevo8 Feb 6, 2013 01:32 PM

No worries man, I should be thanking you for killing and hour at work :lol: Thanks for the insight about the X models, I too understand when you say drivability and honestly I've almost traded my viii in to get an x based solely on my evo being my DD. Sometimes it doesn't start or the "special instructions" you give to people... I actually laughed out loud here at work, You've definitely given me a better arguement to convince the misses why I need one! {thumbup} I'm really impressed with the route you went with and the power you're putting out. I'll definitely have one in 3 months :D:mitsu:

Kracka Feb 6, 2013 01:37 PM

Sounds awesome, just let me know if you have any questions!

bstgsr Mar 3, 2013 10:17 AM

Kracka,

Your build is looking really good, and numbers are awesome! on your ef2.5 do you have the compressor and turbine housing ported?

I'll be ordering my ef2.5 tomorrow with 3" A/S, compressor and turbine housing ported, and thermal coating. I should, hopefully, be tuning at Cobb this summer. What fuel pump and injectors are you running with your setup?

I was at Cobb Plano on saturday with a friend tuning getting his STI tuned. I talked to Neil some and we talked some about your build.

DJ_Sky3 Mar 7, 2013 08:37 AM

Great to see you are doing well with this car, man. I JUST made the switch from DSM's to my first potential Evo 8 and I remember you from mitsustyle and dsmtuners.com.

Keep up the progress, bro!

Kracka Mar 7, 2013 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by bstgsr (Post 10690077)
Kracka,

Your build is looking really good, and numbers are awesome! on your ef2.5 do you have the compressor and turbine housing ported?

I'll be ordering my ef2.5 tomorrow with 3" A/S, compressor and turbine housing ported, and thermal coating. I should, hopefully, be tuning at Cobb this summer. What fuel pump and injectors are you running with your setup?

I was at Cobb Plano on saturday with a friend tuning getting his STI tuned. I talked to Neil some and we talked some about your build.

Awesome to hear! I do have both ported options, along with the coating and 3" inlet. I do not recommend the A/S option though, you'll lose about 200 RPM of spool with very little benefit; it will be a bit smoother down-low, but I have not found the EF2.5 to surge.

I have the Cobb Walbro 255HP fuel pump kit and ID1000 injectors w/PnP harnesses.

Originally Posted by DJ_Sky3 (Post 10697017)
Great to see you are doing well with this car, man. I JUST made the switch from DSM's to my first potential Evo 8 and I remember you from mitsustyle and dsmtuners.com.

Keep up the progress, bro!

Thank you! If you go back even further to the DSMtalk days you may remember me as TalonTSIdude ;)

DJ_Sky3 Mar 7, 2013 09:51 AM

I definitely remember you. Wish you the best, man. Keep in touch. I'll see if we can't link up in Dallas once I get back from this deployment in about a month.