EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Vishnu Performance - California (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/vishnu-performance-california-85/)
-   -   P0300 Random Misfire (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/vishnu-performance-california/56193-p0300-random-misfire.html)

Ryanmcd3 Jan 28, 2004 11:49 AM

:lol: Join the club man, P0300 = pain in the ass, you mods needs to ban that code for the ECU or someone needs to hack the damn computer and just pull that code out.

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
Sorry guys. The cel came back on this morning. So it was more likely that the dealerships clearing of the cel from the ECU was the reason it didn't come back on right away. But after the ecu did some 'learning' the cel came back on....and the stuttering....and the annoyance of knowing that I have a 10 month old car with an electronics problem.

SC~

Secret Chimp Jan 28, 2004 02:03 PM

Is there a Mitsu tech bulletin for this problem? If there is, could someone please throw up a link?

whiterexman Jan 28, 2004 10:26 PM

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
Is there a Mitsu tech bulletin for this problem? If there is, could someone please throw up a link?
I would like to know also.

These damn P0300 code just won't go away no matter how many sets of spark plugs I've changed.... :rant:

AltezzaRoku Jan 28, 2004 10:59 PM

does it cause any performance issues?? i have been driving with my cel on for about 2 weeks now and was wondering if it will cause my car to run any differently. thx.

cokofellah May 10, 2004 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Throwing the check engine light after installing a cat-less exhaust is to be expected.

As for the misfire code, does anyone in the local area (northern CA) get this code? The reason I'm asking is that I have the new firmware update for the idle fix which has been working just fine on my car for the last couple of weeks. I'm beginning to think that the idle blip is the cause for the misfire code that some folks are getting. Especially those in cold climates.

Anyone care to volunteer trying out the new firmware update before I ask everyone to send their XEDEs back for the update? Preferably someone who is experiencing both the idle pops as well as the misfire code, of course.

Shiv

Shiv,
was getting all of the above along with the p0300 misfire code.
finally got to "log-on" to the XEDE...found out that some of the values on Crank, MAF were extremely whacked. some of the values on Crank, for ex., were at -.30(!!) Their graphs had massive spikes going downwards (is my car still ok?).
So anyway, graphs are smooth now (just like you described on your site), and car is smoother.
I got my XEDE/XFlash only recently (March-April). Did it come with this firmware mentioned above? If so, what are common "triggers" for the p0300?
If it didn't come with the firmware upgrade, 1) I'll volunteer, and 2) do current map values hold, even after a p0300?

any special "torque" settings on BOV screws?

Patrick

*congrats on One Lap!

EVOeight May 12, 2004 09:42 AM

I don't understand why you ECU-reflashers don't just eliminate that code from the ECU completely? Just label the flash as "off road use only" if that is the concern. The vast majority of those codes are worthless anyway, most are just for emmisions crap. I want my ECU to notify me if I have a component failure, that's all. I could not care less about emmisions. Can you make a flash for off road use only that would cure this issue?

cokofellah May 12, 2004 10:05 AM

M O T E C......

if only I knew tuning, this would solve my headache. unfortunately, I don't. :lol:

thus, I go with the best tuner :thumbup: eventually, he will find a fix

Secret Chimp May 12, 2004 10:41 AM

Most people see value in the ECU alerting us when there is actual misfiring going on. Eliminate the 0300 code all together, and you will not be alerted....

SC~

cokofellah May 12, 2004 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
Most people see value in the ECU alerting us when there is actual misfiring going on. Eliminate the 0300 code all together, and you will not be alerted....

SC~

agreed...
however, if you're like me, you will be very annoyed when let's say, you're cruisin around 70mph, bustin' your hot date's balls, then suddenly - your engine "shudders" (as if one of your front tires went flat), then your SES goes off, and all your b.s. goes out the door, and your game is gone (because now, you're preoccupied with saving face, and your EVO).

Next day, all you here about is "there seems to be nothing wrong, mechanically.....well, your car's ECU is really sensitive...don't worry, Mitsu will come out w/ a flash...errr....." - uhuh, yeah.

:guitar:

*i've accepted my situation...just one of the guys waiting for a p0300 fix

jj_008 May 12, 2004 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by cokofellah
bustin' your hot date's balls

You may have a more important problem if your date has balls. :updown:

evoindahouse May 12, 2004 12:21 PM

I heard that, the 0300 would be the LEAST of my worries if I was going for the good stuff and found 2 nuts.

Originally Posted by jj_008

shiv@vishnu May 12, 2004 12:36 PM

Hi guys,
I spoke to the head of the MMC tech center last week during our One Lap adventure. He noted that they are currently working on a reflash to fix the PO300 problem that some people are getting. He confirmed that there seems to be a resonance in the transmission which invokes misfire detection. As I expected, its because of ever-tightening emissions regulations. Lots of manufacturers are going through the same thing.

Shiv

cokofellah May 12, 2004 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by jj_008

tsk, tsk....apparently, we speak a diff. language... ;)

Shiv, will a test pipe smooth out things? have 30+ miles....p0300 came out only after mods. thanks

jj_008 May 12, 2004 01:42 PM

Shiv, is the resonance from the transmission causing the knock sensor to stop firing the cylinders? What sensor is causing the car to misfire? If it is the knock sensor couldn't someone with an XEDE turn down the sensitivity of the knock sensor using the knock map? I know messing with the knock map probaby isn't the best idea, but it might help the people with a misfire.

sti-eater May 12, 2004 07:26 PM

Are people experiencing a noticeable difference in their engine while they drive when the car misfires. All of the sudden my cars just bogs down. I can still accelerate but then my exhaust becomes really loud. I can't just accept this as a little problem. It's very worrisome and sounds like I'm killing my car. First time it happened to me was on the track. Now it's happening on the streets. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears at different rpms.

I'll check my gaps. I reloaxed my map into the Xede (no real reason, trying anything at this point) and it seems to be doing better. But maybe after the Xede "learns" more it will do the same thing. Who knows.

Great info guys. Thanks.