Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

RS FF 6766 Build

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So envious of this build
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pssst
So envious of this build
Thanks!

Got a few small things done over the past few days. I got some of the vac lines routed, cleaned up the bay some more.

Ran into another issue, the downpipe was fab'd on a non-acd car, it fits, but is really tight up against the transfer case. When I take the car to get the rest of the exhaust welded up I'll probably have them modify it (smash a dent into it). I would do it myself but its schedule 10 SS and I don't think my neighbors would appreciate me banging on it for 2 hours.

The ACD pump relocation is complete, and the pump seems to be working...now to try and bleed it by myself .

Heres a few pics of the engine bay, just need to hook up vac lines to the wastegates and the Profec B solenoid, and I'll probably get a nice catch can setup as well.

Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
looking great so far! Can't wait to see how it performs when it's all done!

on a side note, Michigan is getting some interesting builds lately
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

and I certainly am thinking about that ACD relocation! Thanks for sharing the info
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:12 AM

The ACD relocation wasn't too bad, doing the wiring was a bit time consuming but is pretty straight forward. I like the ACD pump in the back of car better than in the front. The car is actually in NC at my house currently, I'll hopefully have a decent tune on it in the next couple weeks and I want to tow it up to MI for the 4th, there isn't really a car scene down here in Greensboro unless you have a donk.

I was putting the new accessory belt on earlier and my auto tensioner broke...which resulted in my hand slamming into the sharp edge of the sheet metal in the wheel well, took a nice chunk out of my thumb. Nothing a little super glue couldn't fix. I'm off to Napa to hopefully get a new tensioner assembly, next time I'm wearing my hockey gloves when adjusting it.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:48 PM

I re-routed the vac lines today for the wastegates. The previous owner had installed the Greddy Profec B II and I never really looked to see how the wiring was routed, all I knew was the solenoid seemed to be routed tightly to the drivers side frame rail. Turns out the wiring came into the bay from the passenger side. I moved the solenoid to the core support on the passenger side so the vac lines to the wastegates would be as short as possible, I'm just hoping there are no issues with heat and it effecting the solenoid.

I haven't finished zip tying the lines, as I might decide to move them around a bit. Currently the lines that run to the drivers side wastegate are tied up under the core support out of the way. I will be running a small filter on the turbo so none of the lines will be at risk of getting sucked in. I don't think I have the room for the Buschur FF filter, has anyone used one of the Spectre or whatever ones from Autozone I saw one there today that is really short and would fit perfectly, I'm not sure if it can handle a 6766 sucking in air though.

Car is about ready to go, waiting on a base fuel map so I can drive the car up the road to have the rest of the exhaust welded on, and I still need to bleed the ACD.

Last edited by sublime44; Jun 18, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sublime44
has anyone used one of the Spectre or whatever ones from Autozone I saw one there today that is really short and would fit perfectly, I'm not sure if it can handle a 6766 sucking in air though.
I'm not 100% certain of where the filter was originally purchased, but a stock block 6266 car sucked the small center "circle" of metal out of the filter here last weekend! It's a damn good thing that one is a MAF car or it would have tko'd the compressor I'm sure..

I have a Buschur one here and that piece is nicely epoxied in there, I think the store ones might not be and that's how that was able to happen.. just a hunch
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Liqquid
I'm not 100% certain of where the filter was originally purchased, but a stock block 6266 car sucked the small center "circle" of metal out of the filter here last weekend! It's a damn good thing that one is a MAF car or it would have tko'd the compressor I'm sure..

I have a Buschur one here and that piece is nicely epoxied in there, I think the store ones might not be and that's how that was able to happen.. just a hunch
Who's car around here has a stock block/6266 car with MAF other then mine??
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by badev0
Who's car around here has a stock block/6266 car with MAF other then mine??
he's WICKEDevoEIGHT on here, you met him before he was with me at the shootout last year checking out the race
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:43 AM

damn that looks good
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Liqquid

Thats scary . The thing I'm worried most about is the turbo sucking in a rock or something, I've thought of just running a screen but I've seen those get sucked in over time. I think I'm gonna make a plate out of plexi glass and drill a bunch of really small holes in it and stick it in the bumper opening. I'd like to run a filter but b/c of the manifold design and the height of the intercooler I don't really have the room unless its a really short filter.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

I think I'm gonna make a plate out of plexi glass and drill a bunch of really small holes in it and stick it in the bumper opening.
Just be careful it doesn't melt if it's close enough to the manifold.

What about like a mesh wire sheet with a hose clamp to hold it to the turbo?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by goucho
Just be careful it doesn't melt if it's close enough to the manifold.

What about like a mesh wire sheet with a hose clamp to hold it to the turbo?
I think it would be alright as it will be in a direct path of fresh air. I've thought of using SS mesh and making a screen, I'm still concerned with it loosening up and going in the turbo. Can you buy SS mesh at Lowes or Home Depot or do I have to special order it from somewhere? A quick Google search didn't really turn up much.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

will one of those small HKS filters work, or do those get sucked in too lol
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

I think it would be alright as it will be in a direct path of fresh air. I've thought of using SS mesh and making a screen, I'm still concerned with it loosening up and going in the turbo. Can you buy SS mesh at Lowes or Home Depot or do I have to special order it from somewhere? A quick Google search didn't really turn up much.

Yeah, it'd probably be alright. Plexiglass has a melting point of 320F and it's be air cooled.

And yes, they should definitely have wire mesh at Lowes or Home Depot. Your turbo would have to be pretty strong to pull a mesh wire in. Maybe under vacuum... Just an idea though.

Quick Reply: RS FF 6766 Build