Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

I F*cked up

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 04:20 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I F*cked up

I know better, but for some reason today I had the dumb. Used an impact gun to tighten the top nut on my strut because it had become a little loose. This is the aftermath

No point to the post other then to share my stupidity. I've already sourced a replacement for the strut locally that should be going through tomorrow.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 05:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Weve all been there

I reinstalled my carbon hood last week & because it was not quite aligned in the closed position, i broke the cable hood release. It was a real chore to find the way to re-open it

Thanks for sharing & no more use of impacts on struts
Old Jul 20, 2016, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Weve all been there

I reinstalled my carbon hood last week & because it was not quite aligned in the closed position, i broke the cable hood release. It was a real chore to find the way to re-open it

Thanks for sharing & no more use of impacts on struts
thanks for the kind words. This felt like one of those "this was too stupid not to share" kinda moments. Normally i would take this opportunity to upgrade but other financial priorities have to come first... if only this had happened around tax return season lol.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I am guilty also. Not with my struts but all sorts of other stuff.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 05:40 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I relate totally as I pull some dumb moves & end of screwing up a good job

My problem is that I move too fast (in a rush for no good reason). The key for me & maybe some of you is to slow down & take the time to properly follow the procedures
Old Jul 20, 2016, 05:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn....
Old Jul 21, 2016, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
I relate totally as I pull some dumb moves & end of screwing up a good job

My problem is that I move too fast (in a rush for no good reason). The key for me & maybe some of you is to slow down & take the time to properly follow the procedures
Bingo been there done that. I've come to that realization unfortunately too little too late. Broken parts stripped threads cross threading the turbo oil feed line at the head (duh!) granted that actually ended up working out OK but not after completely freaking out prior before I was able to salvage it.

But at the end of the day as much as it sucks that you killed a perfectly good strut it could be worse, trust me. Im sitting here typing with all my fingers but unfortunately not all of them operate 100%. The beginning of this year I almost lost my finger while plumbing in a sink in my garage. I was in the middle of soldering and was almost finished and could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Im getting ready to solder the copper and Im chugging along cleaning the pipes and stupidly instead of holding them in the vice right in front of me I decided to hold the piece in my hard which cleaning it with a wire brush on a drill. My hand slipped and sure enough the copper went right into my finger shredded the flesh and severed my nerve. Stitches more stitches surgery to repair the nerve lost of medical bills and 7 months later I have my finger but only 1/2 of it has feeling all because I rushed a little bit to get the job done.

Moral of my story and point to my rant in addition to your message is that often times you're better off taking a step back thinking about what you about to do and think about what could possibly go wrong by doing something in a certain manor.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 07:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,552 Likes on 1,330 Posts
Impact is fine on small parts, just have to turn the power down . Also, invest in an air ratchet, makes things go faster much like using an impact, but they have very little torque so its far less likely to cross thread something, and they definitely won't break anything.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Bingo been there done that. I've come to that realization unfortunately too little too late. Broken parts stripped threads cross threading the turbo oil feed line at the head (duh!) granted that actually ended up working out OK but not after completely freaking out prior before I was able to salvage it.

But at the end of the day as much as it sucks that you killed a perfectly good strut it could be worse, trust me. Im sitting here typing with all my fingers but unfortunately not all of them operate 100%. The beginning of this year I almost lost my finger while plumbing in a sink in my garage. I was in the middle of soldering and was almost finished and could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Im getting ready to solder the copper and Im chugging along cleaning the pipes and stupidly instead of holding them in the vice right in front of me I decided to hold the piece in my hard which cleaning it with a wire brush on a drill. My hand slipped and sure enough the copper went right into my finger shredded the flesh and severed my nerve. Stitches more stitches surgery to repair the nerve lost of medical bills and 7 months later I have my finger but only 1/2 of it has feeling all because I rushed a little bit to get the job done.

Moral of my story and point to my rant in addition to your message is that often times you're better off taking a step back thinking about what you about to do and think about what could possibly go wrong by doing something in a certain manor.
man that is rough, thanks for sharing. I know it could be so so much worse. When i was young, still living with the folks, i had a neighbor who was working on the rear diff of his s2000.I guess he didn't see the need to use jack stands and had the whole rear of the car on a hydraulic jack. Well it slipped out and the car fell down on top of him. Unfortunately he did not survive. I didn't know him well, and i don't know if he really knew what he was doing, but I took that to heart and will not get under a car unless i have quadruple checked the jack stands. This might sound paranoid but living in California the only time I'm actually worried about or even thinking about an earthquake is when I'm way under a car.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Impact is fine on small parts, just have to turn the power down . Also, invest in an air ratchet, makes things go faster much like using an impact, but they have very little torque so its far less likely to cross thread something, and they definitely won't break anything.
I had an air ratchet... lent it out to a friend and im sure you know where this story is going lol. Funny thing is i thought i was using the gun on a low setting, but i had cranked up the air pressure earlier while i had been breaking some exhaust bolts loose. Well that combination did bad things. It was dumb to even attempt the impact gun in the first place though.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Its funny how small mistakes can cost you hundreds of dollars or even a thousand or so like under filling the TC case lol life lessons are endless
Old Aug 1, 2016, 01:22 PM
rk7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
duly noted to not use an impact on my struts. Have considered out of pure stupidity I will admit, though.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Were all human, brotha. Sh*t happens. Live and learn is all you can do.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im hamfisted when it comes to mechanical things. i have trouble following pictures instructions...so don't feel bad.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Ameliorate
im hamfisted when it comes to mechanical things. i have trouble following pictures instructions...so don't feel bad.
We each have our talents. In high school I finished a three year drafting course in two years. Show me an exploded drawing of something and it lives forever in my head. Put me in a literature class to discuss what the author is trying to convey and I am lost.

Quick Reply: I F*cked up