Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Red button under steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Red button under steering wheel

I have a 2011 Evo X MR and I don't know what this red button does. I know it's not stock and when I press it the light goes out above it. When the car turns on the red light blinks until the car is done booting everything up. I feel wires going straight up the dash from it, but I don't know where they lead to. No it is not the interior lights, I installed those.
Attached Thumbnails Red button under steering wheel-20180116_174441.jpg   Red button under steering wheel-20180116_174446.jpg  
Old Jan 16, 2018, 04:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Nobody is going to be able to give you the exact answer over the internet. Trace the wires.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
looks like a fake anti-theft light.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 04:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
OP,

Does your car have any aftermarket security installed? Some systems have options for programming and valet mode with a button like that.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 05:47 PM

It doesn' have aftermarket security features. I don' know if it' a quincident or not but I just pushed it while driving home. Now the car is misfiring and service engine light is on. Sounds like another bad spark plug.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 05:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Wesley Whitt
It doesn' have aftermarket security features. I don' know if it' a quincident or not but I just pushed it while driving home. Now the car is misfiring and service engine light is on. Sounds like another bad spark plug.
Sounds like map switching button then. You probably have tephra mod with external map switch.

https://www.tephra.it/v3/
Old Jan 16, 2018, 05:51 PM

it's a valet button.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
Sounds like map switching button then. You probably have tephra mod with external map switch.

https://www.tephra.it/v3/

what's a map button and why would it throw a spark plug after just replacing them 2000 miles ago?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 07:17 PM

So I just found the first owners information. The button come with the AFR and boost gauge but he said he never touched it so he doesn't know exactly what it's for. It also has thrown a spark plug twice within two months. The first time it happened it was the stock plug, the second time I had the wrong plug which was a month ago. Now i have the right plugs and it started misfiring just now when I turned it on. I'e only put 2000 miles on it since I changed the plugs to the correct ones. Is it where I've been starting it in negative degree weather or is it related to the button that goes with the air fuel ratio button? The owner said it never threw a plug for him but he also never touched that button. I don' know why it would start throwing plugs now.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
So I just found the first owners information. The button come with the AFR and boost gauge but he said he never touched it so he doesn't know exactly what it's for. It also has thrown a spark plug twice within two months. The first time it happened it was the stock plug, the second time I had the wrong plug which was a month ago. Now i have the right plugs and it started misfiring just now when I turned it on. I'e only put 2000 miles on it since I changed the plugs to the correct ones. Is it where I've been starting it in negative degree weather or is it related to the button that goes with the air fuel ratio button? The owner said it never threw a plug for him but he also never touched that button. I don' know why it would start throwing plugs now.
I've never heard of any AFR gauge that comes with a button. I'm not even sure what it would do to be honest. What AFR's are you seeing? A failed plug could be from knock or crazy high heat.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 08:56 AM
EvoM Guru

What do you mean by "thrown a plug"?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds like you need to stay out of boost and get your car properly tuned. You shouldn't have odd issues like this and fouling spark plugs is a sure sign your tune is waaaay off. Chances are the guy before the guy you bought it had a bunch of parts on it, took them off, left the tune, and sold the car. The EVO is pretty tough that it can run with a **** tune and not blow up as easily as a Subaru, but still you shouldn't be having these issues, at all.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:27 AM

The original owner said it was tuned at 20,000 miles. I have 52,000 on it right now.
The car has 3 inch intercooler with aluminum piping. Burshur downpipe with a girls exhaust and it' tuned at 325hp with 350 in torque to the real wheels. He didn' have cats on it when he had it but the dealer went and put them back on. I don' know if that would make a huge difference.
The button I was asking about is to re-calibrated the AFR so you don' have to use a computer. When I had a bad spark plug last month the car didn' have any power to it. I have all my power right now it just sounds rough. I'm wondering if it's a bad coil.
Also it had the HKS M40XL plugs when I changed them. I put the NGK Laser iridim plugs on it. They have been on for about 1500 miles roughly.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:28 AM

The original owner said it was tuned at 20,000 miles. I have 52,000 on it right now.
The car has 3 inch intercooler with aluminum piping. Burshur downpipe with a borla exhaust and it' tuned at 325hp with 350 in torque to the real wheels. He didn' have cats on it when he had it but the dealer went and put them back on. I don' know if that would make a huge difference.
The button I was asking about is to re-calibrated the AFR so you don' have to use a computer. When I had a bad spark plug last month the car didn' have any power to it. I have all my power right now it just sounds rough. I'm wondering if it's a bad coil.
Also it had the HKS M40XL plugs when I changed them. I put the NGK Laser iridim plugs on it. They have been on for about 1500 miles roughly.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by razorlab
What do you mean by "thrown a plug"?
sorry just meant a bad spark plug

Quick Reply: Red button under steering wheel