Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO 9 Headlight Restoration Vs New UV Clear Coat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO 9 Headlight Restoration Vs New UV Clear Coat

Hey guys, what do you guys use when the headlamps fade? I know there are a ton of threads on this issue but none of them give a straight answer on if these restoration kits can achieve like a brand new oem factor headlight assembly.

I have previously tried headlight restoration kits, but 1) They never look crystal clear like brand brand new, 2) They don't last more than 1 year. Maybe I didn't use the right kit, (sanded 3 different grits, then polished and sprayed a UV protectant), but how do these restoration kits compare to buying brand new ones? I've looked around and brand new they are about $3000 dollars (https://stmtuned.com/collections/mit...smoked-evo-8-9).

Will new ones last for more than 5 years? What do most of you guys use? Do you guys have suggestions on aftermarket parts or cosmetic changes that look nice?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Wet sand with 600 grit sand paper, go up as high as you want but a lot will just use 400 grit and then spray with 2k clear coat. It'll look not so good at 600 grit but it'll come out clear after you spray with clear. You can up the sand paper grade if you want but will come out the same from what I've heard. After you've sprayed multiple coats, wet sand at like 2000 grit to smooth it out to get rid of orange peel and compound/polish to get it super good looking. Will lasts a very long time if done right.
The following users liked this post:
evo8finally (Sep 18, 2018)
Old Aug 19, 2018, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
I had a buddy who works at a paint shop re-finish mine. sanded them down a bit and clear-coated them. looked better than new after that
Old Aug 19, 2018, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
I'm seeing alot of people using ceramic coating to finish the process.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
Wet sand with 600 grit sand paper, go up as high as you want but a lot will just use 400 grit and then spray with 2k clear coat. It'll look not so good at 600 grit but it'll come out clear after you spray with clear. You can up the sand paper grade if you want but will come out the same from what I've heard. After you've sprayed multiple coats, wet sand at like 2000 grit to smooth it out to get rid of orange peel and compound/polish to get it super good looking. Will lasts a very long time if done right.
What kind of clear coat do you use? How long has yours lasted since you sanded it down?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

It's called spraymax 2k clear. I've done rustoleum 2x clear and those lasted a year. This clear is supposed the be the jam and last way longer. You will need a mask when doing this. I couldnt tell you longevity since I've only had it on for about 2 months.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 09:46 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm dissapointed no one makes aftermarket headlights for the Evo 7,8,9's...
Old Aug 20, 2018, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone try buffing the lense and using clear film like Lamin-X?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm also interested in this as well. I use Meguiars Plast-X every few months. It looks good for a while, but definitely is not a permanent solution. I was leaning toward clear-coating, but was concerned about heat perhaps cracking the lenses? I also considered Lamin-X as well. I'd love to hear whatever solution folks are having good luck with!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

You will need to apply a coat that has UV resistance for the lens to not yellow. Just get a decent sealant and it should last up to 6 months but I would apply it a little more often. Or the long term solution, clear coat it. If you clearcoat it, the easiest and best one to use is the spraymax 2k clear or a non out of a can clear, any other can crap will not last.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp7
I'm dissapointed no one makes aftermarket headlights for the Evo 7,8,9's...

+1 to this...

I've also seen people apply 3m clear to the finished product for extended life.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
I have never seen any products that genuinely restore headlights so they look like new.

I do wonder if using 303 Aerospace would help prolong life on new lenses though, since that has some type of sunscreen in it.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

I have lamin-x film i never applied. Its a couple years old, wonder if they are still usable.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
It's called spraymax 2k clear. I've done rustoleum 2x clear and those lasted a year. This clear is supposed the be the jam and last way longer. You will need a mask when doing this. I couldnt tell you longevity since I've only had it on for about 2 months.
I did this exact thing with a set of lights I had. I had to take it down to 400 grit sandpaper to get the surface level and then worked back up to 1200 before hitting them with some clear primer. After I just hit them with 2 or 3 coats of the Spraymax 2k clear and finished them with some wet sanding and buffing to make them shine like new. The lights looked great even after more than a year of abusive driving I put my car through. The headlight restoration kits or UV sealers by comparison for me have never lasted more than 6 months and often don't even make it 2 months before yellowing starts to appear again.