Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo IV power cut when hitting boost in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IV power cut when hitting boost in cold weather

Its been about -1 celsius here in canada, the coldest its been since ive had the car. When I went to do a pull last night in 3rd gear the car cut some power when it hits boost, it feels like a slipping clutch or a similar feeling to spinning the wheels, but it wasnt icy and my clutch should be good. It also happens in 4th as well and I noticed it once in 2nd, im assuming its overboost and the ecu is cutting boost because its not tuned for the cold weather here with it being from japan. Anyone know what it could be? Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2019, 03:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Is it more like a sputtering? With the colder, more dense air, many people have to regap their spark plugs to prevent blowing out the spark under high boost.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pal215
Is it more like a sputtering? With the colder, more dense air, many people have to regap their spark plugs to prevent blowing out the spark under high boost.
No its more like a delay in boost while the rpms still climb, as if im spinning the wheels or the clutch is slipping. Its not a sputter or a stutter which is weird
Old Jan 14, 2019, 03:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Do the RPMs climb at a slower rate as well? It could be a major boost leak.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 03:45 PM

Do the RPMs climb at a slower rate as well? It could be a major boost leak.
The rpms from what ive experienced seem to climb pretty normally, possible even a little fast than normal, and then when im hitting proper boost everything is good it pulls normally and hard. Which is why it seems like a slipping clutch but i would think it would be more prominent in 1st and 2nd gear especially. I will try see if it does it after work now that its a little warmer and if it doesnt ill record a video tonight in the cold
Old Jan 14, 2019, 04:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bcIV
The rpms from what ive experienced seem to climb pretty normally, possible even a little fast than normal, and then when im hitting proper boost everything is good it pulls normally and hard. Which is why it seems like a slipping clutch but i would think it would be more prominent in 1st and 2nd gear especially. I will try see if it does it after work now that its a little warmer and if it doesnt ill record a video tonight in the cold
Yeah that is strange, assuming you are maintaining traction with the tires, a slipping clutch will show up more in higher gears. Looking forward to the video, drive safe.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
slipping clutch will be less prominent in 1st or 2nd...

will slip like crazy in 3rd.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by hutch959
slipping clutch will be less prominent in 1st or 2nd...

will slip like crazy in 3rd.
Its more seeming like a slipping clutch now ive driven it some more. It does it in 2nd now and seems to do it alot in 3rd. I didnt think that was it because the clutch still feels good with my foot, it engages right near the top and doesnt feel light. Is there any tell tale signs of a bad clutch besides the obvious slipping under power?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 07:25 PM

Also its really weird i didnt get this happening gradually, it just all of a sudden started happening without any warning signs or anything
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:24 PM

This is a ****ty video I recorded on a bumpy road, will do a better one tomorrow. But if you listen you can here the rpms go up and then settle back to where the clutch catches, im assuming its a slipping clutch. The rpms climb for a second while it slips and then go back down when it engages.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:05 AM
EvoM Guru

That video is exactly a slipping clutch. You mentioned earlier that the clutch engaged near the top. It's possible that the clutch pedal has been adjusted improperly and that the clutch has been slipping for some time. Look for a small 12mm nut under the clutch pedal. Break it loose and adjust the shaft that it rides on so that it threads into the pedal assembly by two rotations and re-tighten the lock nut. This will make the clutch pedal engage closer to the middle. Test drive again. Adjust it so that there is some slight play at the top of the pedal. If it still slipping after this then your clutch is probably toast for a different reason.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 08:08 PM

Tried the pedal adjustment, didnt work but thanks for that. Now i know how to adjust the pedal for when a new clutch is in which im ordering tomorrow and not driving in boost while i wait for it to get here from japan gonna be painful bit atleast I still have an evo and she will be back to 100 percent soon. The weird thing is how sudden it started slipping, it seemed like I literally drove it to work and it was fine and then drove it home later it started slipping amd progressively got worse. But nothings ever simple with cars
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Tried the pedal adjustment, didnt work but thanks for that. Now i know how to adjust the pedal for when a new clutch is in which im ordering tomorrow and not driving in boost while i wait for it to get here from japan gonna be painful bit atleast I still have an evo and she will be back to 100 percent soon. The weird thing is how sudden it started slipping, it seemed like I literally drove it to work and it was fine and then drove it home later it started slipping amd progressively got worse. But nothings ever simple with cars
Some clutches wear out all at once and others will show signs over time. Hopefully the rear main seal didn't fail as that can also cause the clutch to slip prematurely. I've recently wasted a clutch disk for exactly that.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:22 AM

Some clutches wear out all at once and others will show signs over time. Hopefully the rear main seal didn't fail as that can also cause the clutch to slip prematurely. I've recently wasted a clutch disk for exactly that.
Ive just ordered a stage 2 clutch with cover and new flywheel so that should take care of any issues, gonna take a week to get here so just gotta drive it out of boost for a week. Atleast im getting a better clutch and flywheel setup out of this
Old Jan 17, 2019, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Ive just ordered a stage 2 clutch with cover and new flywheel so that should take care of any issues, gonna take a week to get here so just gotta drive it out of boost for a week. Atleast im getting a better clutch and flywheel setup out of this
My clutch started slipping during the 4th of July holiday. By taking it easy I was able to postpone the clutch swap until the cooler weather of late September.