Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

New search feedback

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New search feedback

Apparently there's a new search program. I was told to make a new thread to voice my opinion, so I figured I'd make it in a format so everyone can share their opinion.

I personally don't like it. IMO the old version is just fine. The time between searches is kinda annoying, but not really a big deal. I can find something else to do for 45 seconds.

How does everyone else feel?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
I once heard this silly rap song that expresses my feelings

BALLIN'

the percentile feature is pretty neat
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:52 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by biggie5252
Apparently there's a new search program. I was told to make a new thread to voice my opinion, so I figured I'd make it in a format so everyone can share their opinion.

I personally don't like it. IMO the old version is just fine. The time between searches is kinda annoying, but not really a big deal. I can find something else to do for 45 seconds.

How does everyone else feel?
IIRC, the forced delay between searches has always been there, it's just like the flood control for posting.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaotichoax
I once heard this silly rap song that expresses my feelings

BALLIN'

the percentile feature is pretty neat
Not if you are searching for a specific used part to purchase. What it shows is threads that are years old vs the most recent. Might be a good idea to disable this new feature in the For Sale section.

edit. Nevermind. I see that we have many many search control options.

Last edited by boscoyo; Dec 5, 2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
IIRC, the forced delay between searches has always been there, it's just like the flood control for posting.
I know it's always been there. I was just commenting on how it's the only thing I didn't like about the previous search system.

I've played with it throughout the day and it's not nearly as bad as my initial impression. I don't know if it was updated, or it's just me getting used to it, but the last couple times I've used it, it seems to be working pretty good.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 09:11 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by biggie5252
I know it's always been there. I was just commenting on how it's the only thing I didn't like about the previous search system.

I've played with it throughout the day and it's not nearly as bad as my initial impression. I don't know if it was updated, or it's just me getting used to it, but the last couple times I've used it, it seems to be working pretty good.
Glad to hear
Old Dec 6, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only problem I have with the new search system is that it doesn't work.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 596736
The only problem I have with the new search system is that it doesn't work.
agreed, what is up with that?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, it worked pretty good last night.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 02:16 PM
Former Sponsor

I personally can't stand the new search. It doesn't give you the option of going to the last page of the thread you click, it lists certain posts multiple times, and when you are on page 1 of the results, it still allows you to click on page 1 which confuses you as to what page you are even on.

Edit: Just found the worst thing about it yet. You can only sort the results by the original post date and not the date of the last post. This is a major problem for vendors looking for their names being brought up in threads and looking to make sure any questions about or products and services get answered.

Last edited by EricJ@AMS; Dec 7, 2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EricJ@AMS
I personally can't stand the new search. It doesn't give you the option of going to the last page of the thread you click, it lists certain posts multiple times, and when you are on page 1 of the results, it still allows you to click on page 1 which confuses you as to what page you are even on.

Edit: Just found the worst thing about it yet. You can only sort the results by the original post date and not the date of the last post. This is a major problem for vendors looking for their names being brought up in threads and looking to make sure any questions about or products and services get answered.
I've found the exact same thing ... I want to be able to go to the last page or post, not just the first. Also, sorting by post date doesn't list them chronologically and lists threads multiple times. Search time has been lengthened due to this.

If there is a way to change this, please let me know. It's quite an annoyance!
Old Dec 8, 2008, 07:39 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by EricJ@AMS

Thanks for the feedback, Eric, I'm passing it up the chain. This is obviously a big issue.

To help with your last issue, if you select "Post Date" from the drop down box above the search results, it'll sort the results by the date of the most recent post in the thread. You can also select that option on the search screen before searching.

Last edited by otter; Dec 8, 2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Otter, selecting "Post Date" from the drop down doesn't work for me. It seems to list in a random order ... yesterday, Dec 8th, Yesterday, Today, Nov 23 and so on. Half of the time the "Relevance" list is out of wack, listing 22% results above 89% results. All sorting options still list duplicates as well.

EDIT :: Case in point. See attached image. Search results for user: TouringBubble. Sorted by post date. Is it listing in order of when I last posted in these threads? Also notice duplicate returns for this thread specifically.
Attached Thumbnails New search feedback-picture-2.gif  

Last edited by TouringBubble; Dec 8, 2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
Otter, selecting "Post Date" from the drop down doesn't work for me. It seems to list in a random order ... yesterday, Dec 8th, Yesterday, Today, Nov 23 and so on. Half of the time the "Relevance" list is out of wack, listing 22% results above 89% results. All sorting options still list duplicates as well.

EDIT :: Case in point. See attached image. Search results for user: TouringBubble. Sorted by post date. Is it listing in order of when I last posted in these threads? Also notice duplicate returns for this thread specifically.
The new search sucks! I usually do a search by username and type in my username to find any of the threads I have started or have posted on and then the bold ones would be threads I hadn't read since they were updated. I can't do this anymore and it is really starting to be a pain.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mmartahus
The new search sucks! I usually do a search by username and type in my username to find any of the threads I have started or have posted on and then the bold ones would be threads I hadn't read since they were updated. I can't do this anymore and it is really starting to be a pain.
This same complaint is what made me start this thread.