Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

site slow?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2004, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the owner if this site wants... I could have him move it to a 100mbit site i own which has 99% uptime and will be able to handle 1000GB/month bandwidth.

Krunal
Old May 29, 2004, 06:04 PM
Account Disabled

pm kk...i think he's like a few people up...i dont exacly know what kinda server they are using tho? so talk to him
Old May 29, 2004, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

i didnt notice it til today. its always been fast for me.
Old May 29, 2004, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, it's only slow tonight for some reason. It was fairly quick all day long; until around 6:00pm EST. Perhaps the provider is suffering from some sort of network saturation; at least judging by the ping times that were posted. It's ping latency is high it usually indicates a network related issue rather than a server issue.

Site is definately slow though. Nothing is failing or timing out yet, but it is slow. I had a few PMs that I really thought were gonna timeout. Luckily the did not.

Sites still usable though! Best of luck figuring it out and let me know if you need any help.
Old May 29, 2004, 08:03 PM

Yah definently.... Site seems very sluggish at times... Like siantjab said, if you need any help let me know... I do, do this for a living
Old May 29, 2004, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

slow
Old May 29, 2004, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Mark,

The site on my end has been slow for about 72 hours now, mostly when posting replies and using the back arrow to reload pages. I also pinged the site and noticed we are running slower than EvoM before the Vb3 upgrade and other major websites. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

Doug
Old May 29, 2004, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

heres my ping results:
Minimum = 10ms, maximum = 27ms. Average = 14ms
Old May 29, 2004, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Yea but there are sooo many users on this forum. The server takes a lot of hits - and ALL AT ONE TIME!. Causes latency.
Old May 29, 2004, 10:26 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

I believe this is a database issue, so I'm going to look into to it to find out what is happening. I think the tables are locking up and it causes huge delays when posting, etc. Once I get that sorted out it should speed up a lot

Mark
Old May 29, 2004, 10:35 PM

that sounds accurate Mark... Good Luck with that

..as for latency being caused by hits, I don't think that is true... Like someone posted earlier you can find at least double the users on the honda forum with a similar server and they don't seem to be having any issues...
Old May 29, 2004, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Well this server is HUGE. You have to agree it gets a lot of attention.
Old May 29, 2004, 11:03 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

I'm working to get the web server to connect to the db server on a local ip. Right now it's only been working on a public ip, which makes it go through the web. It's a short distance, but it's still something. Once I get that worked out, it might help. I do think it's something else though. I haven't found locked tables yet, so I'm not sure what this could be. It's really random since it just started to happen without any reason. I'm hoping I'll track it down ASAP.

If you guys have any suggestions based on your experience, feel free to email me. I'm open to trying stuff out to get this resolved

Mark
Old May 29, 2004, 11:07 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Just for some background on the current setup:

Web Server:
Dell PowerEdge 1750 2GB RAM SCSI RAID 5

Database Server:
Dell PowerEdge 1750 4GB RAM SCSI RAID 5

The server loads are super low so it's definitely not a taxed server or anything of that nature. My thoughts are either:

1. Latency / Network connection issues
2. MySQL table locking issues

I'm not much of an expert on how to determine if there is a network issue, so if anyone has the knowledge, I'd love to get some tips on how to check on that. The servers are colocated in Los Angeles, CA at One Wilshire through Mzima Networks bandwidth. They are supposed to have quality bandwidth. I will check to see what that network consists of.

Mark
Old May 30, 2004, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

KK - If you switched web servers it could be a number of issues. More than likely, my initial presumption would be that there has been either a decrease in your bandwidth through Mzima networks or they could have a problem with their servers and not be up to full capacity. Your best bet is to call them and see if they are having any issues; if you know of anyone else that uses them as their host, see if they are experiencing any other issues or problems.

Although if it would be the web server, what was the specs. on the old one compared to the new one, you could be running half duplex on your network cards compared to the normal full duplex you should be running. If you do not know how to check this PM me with what Operating System you are running on your server to determine this, and if my brother (a computer genius) is home he would be more than happy to help you figure out the problem. Or if you would like, I could PM you his email address and phone number to help you get all this straightened out.

Quick Reply: site slow?