EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   South Region (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/south-region-42/)
-   -   Good news of extent of damage (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/south-region/257683-good-news-extent-damage.html)

Whoosh Mar 15, 2007 06:04 AM

Good news of extent of damage

For the few that were there when it happened, I thought I would let you all know the extent of damage from our recent foray into the Hills.
The damage was limited to cylinder no. 2. I'll have to replace the piston as well as the rings. Of course, we'll replace all the necessary gaskets to button everything up. The ARP head studs appear to not have been torqued down properly and were starting to back out slightly. Beyond that, everything is fine. Damn those OEM pistons are tough. I wonder how many other types of pistons could take 37 psi on pump and not expode or disintegrate?
I'll take this opportunity to upgrade a few more parts to improve reliability. Big thanks to MZM for their willingness to work with me on getting my pride and joy back on the street.

MuslimEvoFreak Mar 15, 2007 06:08 AM

What happend exactly?

93turbomax Mar 15, 2007 06:23 AM

Good to hear.

milo Mar 15, 2007 06:30 AM

More reason to upgrade:lol:

DEVO330 Mar 15, 2007 07:14 AM

Wow, remember our thread discussion about studs and whether the risks are worth the benefits of studs? My engines no. 2 cyl. had problems due to a head gasket leak from, yes, head studs. I would never open a stock gasket until required, 37psi is good reason! but not many of us can claim 29psi. Glad to hear things are moving for you, these EVOs are intoxicating arent they?

Whoosh Mar 15, 2007 07:44 AM

In an attempt to pass a slower car I "eased" the throttle to the floor. At about 115 there was a boom (sort of). Pump gas and high boost are not friends. It leaned out and peaked at 37 psi. The rest involves considerable cussing and wringing of hands. Oh, and some flat bed towing back to the shop.

Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak (Post 4089452)
What happend exactly?

subrwho Mar 15, 2007 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Whoosh (Post 4089722)
In an attempt to pass a slower car I "eased" the throttle to the floor. At about 115 there was a boom (sort of). Pump gas and high boost are not friends. It leaned out and peaked at 37 psi. The rest involves considerable cussing and wringing of hands. Oh, and some flat bed towing back to the shop.

sorry to hear :(

Whoosh Mar 15, 2007 08:13 AM

Thanks, but don't be sorry. I'm elated by the fact that there was so little damage. As cool as tearing down the engine and building it back up might be, there is a much shorter turn around and far less damage to the wallet this way.

Originally Posted by subrwho (Post 4089747)
sorry to hear :(

TxEvo8 Mar 15, 2007 08:44 AM

Might want to check that head for warpage...

Haehl Mar 15, 2007 11:08 AM

I'm glad to hear the damage wasn't that extensive.

Imyurturboluva Mar 15, 2007 02:52 PM

Hey, weren't those headstuds replaced doing the one-at-a-time method? And who was it that did the work (not bashing)? Inquiring minds want to know. Anyway, best of luck and can't wait to see you tearing up the street again, Bob.

Xfer Mar 15, 2007 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Haehl (Post 4090769)
I'm glad to hear the damage wasn't that extensive.

Me too.:)

j8 Mar 15, 2007 05:04 PM

Bob,

Good to hear the car is back up and running. I guess you can get some sleep now... By the way who was the slow car infront of you. He should have to pay for some of the damage. :lol:

DEVO330 Mar 15, 2007 05:31 PM

:-)aint that thu truth. . .:)

Whoosh Mar 15, 2007 05:43 PM

Good point. Unfortunately it was some non-descript mommie van.

Originally Posted by j8 (Post 4092169)
Bob,

Good to hear the car is back up and running. I guess you can get some sleep now... By the way who was the slow car infront of you. He should have to pay for some of the damage. :lol: