Notices

NEW VENDOR- Whalen Shift Machine custom shift knobs!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2008, 01:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW VENDOR- Whalen Shift Machine custom shift knobs!

Hello, EvoM!

I would like to introduce myself.
My name is Doug Whalen, and I'm a long-time maker of custom-engraved stainless steel aftermarket shift knobs.
My niche market for years has been BMW and MINI Cooper, though I've made several custom knobs for Mitsubishi, Miata, Honda and Toyota owners.

A little background information: my "day job" is industrial machine work; I've owned a one-man tool & die job shop for twenty-two years now, and shift knobs have been a fun sideline for me, for nearly seven years.
After making and selling several thousand knobs (and now, matching e-brake handles!), I've decided to delve more into these products, while still striving to keep my industrial customers satisfied.
Toward that end, I've now become an official vendor on this forum!

A few admissions; I've been a toolmaker for thirty years, but I definitely am NOT much of a photographer, website manager, or PR guy.
I'm not even a "salesman" by nature, though I do my best to hang onto the reputation of excellent customer service that I've built over the years.

I have to apologize for the lack of Evo info on my website.
I'm currently trying to build a fire under the guy who put my site together for me; hopefully, we'll have some Evo information put up soon. (Either that, or I'll soon have a new website guy!)

For now, please e-mail, PM, phone or FAX me with your inquiries, and I'll address them promptly.
My website is www.whalenshiftmachine.com and you'll find contact info there, as well as a gallery showing a few examples of some of the custom CNC engraving that I've done.

There are a couple members of this forum who have my shift knobs installed; a search for "whalen" will help locate their posts.

For now, here is a quick shot of one of my non-engraved Evo knobs. I've designed them to mate cleanly with the Evo shift boot.
Naturally, the knobs are drilled and tapped to fit the shift lever perfectly.

Naturally, custom engraving is available with my Evo knobs. And as with all of my customers, I will work closely with you during the design phase, until you are completely satisfied and ready for me to push the "magic green button"!

With the engraved knobs, I add a 1/4-20 stainless steel brass-tipped set screw in the ball, down near the stem. It's located in the front of the knob, so as to be out sight when installed.

I look forward to getting to know the Evo community, and supplying owners with shift knobs of unmatched quality, coupled with my usual 100% satisfaction guarantee.

-Doug Whalen
Whalen Machine Inc.
Attached Thumbnails NEW VENDOR- Whalen Shift Machine custom shift knobs!-evo-knob-2.jpg  

Last edited by Doug W; Dec 14, 2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you going to do custom engraving for evo's? if so I'd be down with one for my VIII
Old Dec 14, 2008, 01:40 PM
Account Disabled

Definitely!!

The only difference real between my BMW/MINI knobs and the Evo ones is the attachment fitting (of my own design) that's required for the shift levers on those cars.

The same material and machining quality, along with the same surface finish and customization options, will apply for Evo!
Old Dec 14, 2008, 01:46 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by AF-Evo8
are you going to do custom engraving for evo's? if so I'd be down with one for my VIII
Just edited my announcement, to reflect that option. Thanks for bringing it up!
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

do you have any info on cost and what exactly we can do to the shift knob besides engraving?
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I would like a knob anodized black and then have the Mitsu three diamond symbol engraved in so it would show in raw metal/silver.

Any chance that would be possible? Aproximate cost?

Thanks & good luck!
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i would like one the same as above but with red mitsu sign
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:15 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by btownsoccer22
do you have any info on cost and what exactly we can do to the shift knob besides engraving?
Browse through this gallery and check out the various finishes (brushed, polished, bead-blasted) and combinations (brushed/polished and brushed/bead-blasted).

http://thewhalenshiftmachine.shutterfly.com/

Unfortunately, with the software that I use, I can only engrave on the line; I can't carve out solid figures.

My stainless steel Evo knobs are priced at $100.00 each. Engraving is a flat $20.00 charge, assuming that I can draw the design myself.

If the design is too complex for me to draw (examples; cartoon characters, logos, etc) I require a DXF file, for programming purposes.
I can have any type of image file converted to DXF by a graphic artist who I have a connection with.
The conversion costs me $20.00, and I pass that charge along to the customer.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:21 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by CoachG
I think I would like a knob anodized black and then have the Mitsu three diamond symbol engraved in so it would show in raw metal/silver.

Any chance that would be possible? Aproximate cost?

Thanks & good luck!
I don't typically make knobs from aluminum. For the small quantities that I deal with, the lot charge for anodizing ($70.00 minimum) would be cost-prohibitive.

That said, I recently began offering e-brake handles in stainless AND aluminum (not for Evo yet, though).
If I get enough interest in my aluminum e-brake handles, maybe I can include some shift knobs with a batch of anodizing.
I'll probably just be doing them in black; no other colors planned, at this point in time.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:35 PM
Account Disabled

FWIW, here is a picture of the stainless steel e-brake handle and knob from my MINI (sorry, it's not really my intention to keep mentioning other makes; I just don't have access to an Evo. No offense intended!)

I'll have to order an Evo e-brake lever and see what it'll take to fit a handle to it, properly.
After that, I'll need to find a Guinea Pig to try one out.
Attached Thumbnails NEW VENDOR- Whalen Shift Machine custom shift knobs!-ss-combo-3.jpg  
Old Dec 14, 2008, 05:27 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been working to bring Doug to the site for some time now. I utilized Mr. Whalen's talents in making a custom shift knob for my girlfriend's new Mini S this Fall and was so impressed I began relentlessly planting the seed for him to expand his product line to the Evolution community, specifically bringing him on board as a vendor here on Evom.net.

Just recently Doug and I finally had time in our busy lives to get together on mocking up a knob for the Evo. After test fitting a blank for him on my '03 we began working on designs. You just have to see Doug's work in person to believe the level of intricacy and detail his skills and machinery allow for. Also the knobs weigh in at over a pound. Shifting with this knob is simply effortless, especially in comparison with my old ARC titanium knob

Here are some pics of ours:
Attached Thumbnails NEW VENDOR- Whalen Shift Machine custom shift knobs!-knob-1.jpg   NEW VENDOR- Whalen Shift Machine custom shift knobs!-knob-2.jpg   NEW VENDOR- Whalen Shift Machine custom shift knobs!-knob-3.jpg   NEW VENDOR- Whalen Shift Machine custom shift knobs!-dumatrait-s4.jpg   NEW VENDOR- Whalen Shift Machine custom shift knobs!-dumatrait-s5.jpg  

Last edited by mitsuorder; Dec 14, 2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

pics no workie ^^
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
should have fixed it. and the last one:
Attached Thumbnails NEW VENDOR- Whalen Shift Machine custom shift knobs!-dumatrait-s6.jpg  
Old Dec 15, 2008, 06:01 AM
Account Disabled

A few other things...

Occasionally, I make knobs out of billiard ***** (engraved and non-engraved).

I can also turn custom shapes, such as this tall "handle" type, out of Delrin, aluminum or stainless steel.
Attached Thumbnails NEW VENDOR- Whalen Shift Machine custom shift knobs!-tall-delrin-handle.jpg  
Old Dec 15, 2008, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Nice stuff in this thread. The engraved knobs look killer.

Quick Reply: NEW VENDOR- Whalen Shift Machine custom shift knobs!