Notices

BR 3/4 width radiator, stock appearing FF cold air inlet

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
BR 3/4 width radiator, stock appearing FF cold air inlet

Here it is guys. We had these radiators built by request of Curt Brown, while I was having his done I thought I'd have a batch of them run.

This is a bolt in 3/4 width radiator custom built for us by Fluidyne. The radiator uses a slim line Spal fan and opens up the grill to get your inlet for your turbo facing the front of the car.

The cooling capabilities of this radiator should be better than stock. We've removed about 4" from the drivers side to make room for the air filter. This kit requires the removal of the air conditioning condenser for it to work, otherwise you will not get the air to the filter as it's designed to do. This will also help with cooling as the radiator gets full direct air rather than it being passed through the condenser first, huge difference in cooling. The radiator can be used without removal of anything (except the stock fan) but would defeat the purpose of the forward facing inlet for the stock turbo.

While putting this kit together I had to make an option to not run the forward facing inlet, this would be in the case of heavy rain/snow etc. So I built a two piece inlet pipe that doubles as a "short ram" and the turbo inlet pipe can be taken apart quickly and the filter placed on the short tube. This gets the filter out of the grill opening and out of water/snow etc. The MAF pipe is 3" stainless steel and on this car is a brushed finish. We will offer them brushed, powder coated or polished.

This kit can be used with the stock MAF BUT there is no way to face it forward. You would simply get the air from the front of the car being forced onto the side of the filter/MAF assembly.

This is a bolt in ordeal with the exception of the drivers side upper radiator mount. You have to trim the two small locating tabs off of it and then drill a new 5/16" hole in the upper core support to pass a bolt/nut through to mount the radiator. As you will see in the picture, it looks stock when it's done.

Everything installed in the car:

Cold air inlet pipe and filter:

Forward Facing converted to short ram:

Modified Radiator mount installed.

Pricing:

The radiator with the fan, it comes mounted to the radiator, is $640.

The turbo inlet pipe with the filter and all couplings is $249.

We are also going to offer the turbo inlet pipe and filter minus the transition coupling at the turbo because many of you guys have that coupling already with other 3" inlets. That price is $219.

Last edited by David Buschur; Dec 22, 2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like a great option for people who are looking to road race too.

-Em
Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Right on Emery, this should be KICK *** for a road race application on a stock turbo, with or without the forward facing filter. Better cooling and less front weight from unbolting the a/c components and the cold air getting directly to the air filter.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buschur Racing coming up with more great ideas. Awesome alternative to us that don't quite want to take the plunge to a FF manifold setup. Great work David.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great David. When are you going to let the cat out of the bag about CB's ridiculous trap speed on pump? I'm sure this helped quite a bit, but I'm thinking there was something else as well that is yet to be released...
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BALLIN!!! I must have these on my shelf..
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ALMOST makes me want to remove AC in my car but I just can't get myself to do it yet...Looks good Mr. Buschur...
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Curt's success with his car is plain and simple a superb attention to detail on every aspect of the car and driving. There's not one thing that makes any car fast, it's a combination of everything that makes a truly stellar package.

Dyno thread will be coming up tomorrow with this car.

Also, for those of you who do buy this, you will need to double check your tunes in 4th gear at high speeds. The AFR's will change with a FF set up at high speed.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

That is sick!! Even on the short ram, it'll be getting plenty of cool air! Nice fabbin David
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
very nicely done. what i plan to have made for my car is similar to this. looks really cool. also your CF cover for the ''real'' forward facing kits im sure can be used here as well no?

another weight reduction mod too. i like that
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Works EXTREMELY well, cold ait at all times into the filter, here is a pic from the front, note the area of air entry: http://www.cbevo.com/evo_ix_pics_29....ta1_type=large

Between ditching the AC and doing this mod it's worth around 2 tenths and 3mph, whats nice is you can enjoy the extra power, less knock, cooler rad temps and less weight all the time, if you can live wuthout AC this is a must do mod.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:25 AM

this is one sexy piece of work. i wanna see some numbers
Old Oct 2, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CBRE
Works EXTREMELY well, cold ait at all times into the filter, here is a pic from the front, note the area of air entry: http://www.cbevo.com/evo_ix_pics_29....ta1_type=large

Between ditching the AC and doing this mod it's worth around 2 tenths and 3mph, whats nice is you can enjoy the extra power, less knock, cooler rad temps and less weight all the time, if you can live wuthout AC this is a must do mod.
bump from the dead, did you ever get proof of this? Ever get dyno numbers?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigDaddyCain
bump from the dead, did you ever get proof of this? Ever get dyno numbers?
No one is going to swap rads on a dyno. Simple physics say colder air in more HP out.