Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Weir Performance Maxgrip LSD Kit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i mean why not for $150. well get like 10 people and do it up maybe amsoil will throw in on the deal too
Old Aug 5, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

I finished the 12 plate install last night. The install was very straight forward and no difficulties were encountered. I took advantage while the diff was out to replace a weepy axle seal.
I drove it in to work this morning and reall noticed no difference other than a little more noise / chatter on hard turns.

Have an AutoX this Sunday. Stay tuned.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 09:04 AM

yahtzee
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Most Hated
i mean why not for $150. well get like 10 people and do it up maybe amsoil will throw in on the deal too
Couldn't hurt to try. Maybe someone can get a group buy list started, actual people with money at hand and ready to buy, and try to either pm him on his account here or contact him(http://www.weirperformance.com/).
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

i think if anyone is even looking into doing this they have $150 to test it out. now if i spend 150 and blow the rear thats another story.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

So I ran an auto x last Sunday after the 12 plate install. It allowed me to power out of corners with the inside rear wheel off the ground. +1 to Weir!!
For the ease of installation , 180 Bucks, definately a must do upgrade.
I'm going to say it was worth a 1/2 second. On our courses that's big. Put's me right in with the fast guys. I'll hit Lime rock next Friday and we'll see how it works on the road course.

Would just restacking the OE plates do the same? Couldn't tell you. I wouldn't have taken it apart without the 12 plate on stand by.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

How is everyone liking the Weir 12 plate kit? I know very little about the innards of the diff, do the plates seem to be of good quality? I am planning on having a friend help out with this install in the near future =).
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

subscribed
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
is this a 1 way or 1.5 way set up
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

I think it's a 1.5 way. I had it installed on Friday. Haven't been able to test it in a controlled environment yet but just on so,e of my favorite corners is a noticeable improvement. Def. Worth it. Took my buddies shop 3 hours in total never doing it before. I can't wait to really test it out. Def. LSD chatter at low sped on corners.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Had a friend's shop do this today as well as the TRE oil sight upgrade, replace axle seals and put in mustache bar and diff support bushings. Picking up the car tomorrow, so time to break it in before the next auto-x on the 6th =D.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Wow does this mod rock. Like the OP said bit of boost in a corner and the car has no issues going into oversteer. This will defiantly take some time to get used to, can't wait for the auto-x on the 6th to try it out.. of course I now expect to spin at times till I get used to the oversteer on command.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

I definatly have to second everything the OP said. This mod just rocks on an autox. It definatly takes some getting used to but I picked up easily a half to full second and there was more to be had there. On a fun run I ended up squeezing out another full second. (~60 second course for the fastest cars). Power oversteer came pretty much on command, and was totally controllable. I never ended up having the rear end totally give out on me either, but I also did not push it as hard as I should have as I was scared of getting the rear end to completely lose grip.

All in all for 180 this is a must have if your not going to go with all the TRE style upgrades.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

What type of oil did you DIY guys use? I'm going to be doing this same project soon, and I've heard a lot of things about different kinds of oil: Diaqueen, Amsoil, Red Line NS, non synthetic 75W-90 petrol, etc. It'd be for my Daily Driver and I'd wanna reduce the chatter as well so I'd want to use Friction Modifier (but not too much because you need the friction to work properly). Which non synthetic oil would you recommend I use, and how much friction modifier would you recommend I add? Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
I have heard good things about this mod. I am trying to make the decision whether to do this or get a Cusco Rear Differential. I want to do it right the first time. I want to get the diff that gives the maximum lock and performance.

Quick Reply: Weir Performance Maxgrip LSD Kit