Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

EVOlutionary's 2011 Review

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
EVOlutionary's 2011 Review

As we move deeper into September the 2011 racing season is drawing to a close. The weather will soon turn crisp here in Michigan, the leaves will explode in a colorful finale before they eventually fall. I always take this time of year to reflect on the past season, and what a season it has been! I can honestly say that 2011 has been my most memorable season to date. And that's a tough record to break!

2006 was a very memorable year. In 2006 I ran about 16 autocross races and made my first trip to SCCA Solo2 Nationals at Topeka, Kansas. It was all so new and exciting and I formed a bond and friendship with many of the local SCCA members that has continued to this day. That was also the year I found out the addictive potential of coilovers and R-compound tires. Neither OEM shocks nor all season tires have touched the car since.

2008 was another great milestone. In the beginning of 2007 I teamed up with Andy Lieber of Showcase Mitsubishi. He and his former co-driver John Tak had taken an EVO to a Solo2 championship in 2005 (ESP) and 2006 (BSP), respectively. The goal was to build an EVO capable of bringing home a Street Modified National Championship. I sold my old 2004 EVO and bought one of the last new 2006 EVO 9RS's left on the east coast. Between 2007 and 2008 I think either he or I won about 90% of the races we attended, finishing up 2008 with a Solo2 National Championship in Street Mod, 2nd place in Street Mod (just 0.008 seconds behind), and a National Championship in X-Prepared Ladies class. Goal accomplished!

That brings us to 2011. Over the past few years after the autocross championship run my passion has waned for the weekend parking lot routine. I have felt a need for something more, something new. In 2009 I attended my first open track day at Grattan Raceway in Michigan with an autocross buddy that told me how much he loved track days. He talked me into coming along and promised I would love it. He was right!! As I have eased off autocross (only ran 3 events this year) I have been doing more and more driving on the big tracks. In 2009 I joined NASA and did my first NASA HPDE at MidOhio Sports Car Course that fall. In 2010 I did a few more NASA HPDE days at MidOhio, Gingerman, and Blackhawk Farms. In the beginning of 2011 I told the HPDE Director that I wanted to try to run at the National Championships this fall. My first HPDE day of 2011 I got signed off for HPDE4. By the end of the weekend I got signed off to move up to Time Trials. In my first NASA Time Trials event ever (Autobahn) I came home from the weekend with two wins and a new TTR Track Record. At my 2nd NASA TT event (MidOhio) I came home with a 2nd in TTU, a win in TTR and a new TTR Track Record. In my 3rd NASA TT event (MidOhio) I came home with a 4th in TTU and 1st in TTR. In my 4th ever NASA TT event I came home from MidOhio with a beautiful 2011 TTU National Champion trophy!

Well that was a great end to the season - but the beginning was just as amazing. Last winter my buddy David and I were discussing our "bucket lists". We were going over the automotive portions which included running the 24 Hours of Daytona, Baja 1000, One Lap of America, 24 Hours of LeMons. I mentioned that between the two of us we had a car that would fit in only one of those. The more we talked about it - the more I knew we could pull it off. So it was settled - One Lap of America 2011 it was! It really was much harder and more demanding than I had imagined! Despite some mechanical problems that kept us out of one race - we still finished 2nd in class and 15th overall, with a class win in the dry skidpad thanks to the awesome Advan Neova AD08! Our exploits during the 2011 One Lap are documented on Facebook and here on EvolutionM.

To recap the car's 2011 accomplishments, that is:

2nd in class and 15th overall in the 2011 One Lap of America
trophied at 2011 SCCA Solo2 National Championships
4 NASA regional TT wins
2 NASA track records
1 NASA TT National Championship

Of course this whole season was possible only because of the help and support of my partners and sponsors. Please consider them when looking for future mods for your EVO!

Showcase Mitsubishi
Pure Tuning
DHP Composites
CBRD Speedfactory
Girodisc Brakes
TRE
Exedy Racing Clutch
Hoosier Tires (road course/AX/TT)
Yokohama Advan Tires (street tire/One Lap)
Perrin Performance

2006 EVO IX RS Build Sheet

Power
Pure Tuning E85 tune, reflashed stock ECU with stock MAF sensor
ARC airbox
custom Pure Tuning intake pipe
CBRD BBK-Full turbocharger, ported
Nisei 2.5" aluminum intercooler pipes
ARC 072 intercooler
GSC S1 MIVEC cams
PPI ported OEM exhaust manifold
Works O2 housing
Works downpipe
A-Spec titanium test pipe
custom oval-tube side exit exhaust
Turbosmart eBoost 2 electronic boost controller
OEM BOV, intake manifold, MAF, bottom end

Drivetrain
Exedy Hyper Compe-R ultralite twin disc clutch (MM022HBL)
TRE 5-speed transmission w/ HKS 4.11 final drive
TRE built transfercase
TRE Max-Lock rear differential with billet TRE side-cover
Mitsubishi RS front differential
DEVO Tuning ultralite 2-piece driveshaft
Girodisc 2-piece brake rotors
Raybestos ST43 brake pads
WedsSport SA-70 wheels, 18x10+32
Hoosier A6 tires, 285/30/18

Chassis
Ohlins Flag coilovers, 900#F, 1000#R
Tanabe front sway bar