Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Brand New Chicago Dyno Day thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2004, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang dynos are highly configurable, so unless you know all of the settings that went into it, it's difficult if not outright impossible to compare your numbers to those from other dynos. Not that it's ever really a smart thing to compare numbers generated by different types of dynos, but the Mustang dyno is probably the most extreme example of this...
Old May 27, 2004, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dyno4mance
the top end is a lot more tunable with the cam gears installed, if you are wanting a custom tune it will be much better with the cam gears...my 2c

That is an awsome point - sorry I didn't think to mention it. Dyno4mance is dead on here, if you can afford to have the gears installed before a custom tune it will really maximize your investment.

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Mustang dynos are highly configurable, so unless you know all of the settings that went into it, it's difficult if not outright impossible to compare your numbers to those from other dynos. Not that it's ever really a smart thing to compare numbers generated by different types of dynos, but the Mustang dyno is probably the most extreme example of this...
They are also a pain to strap cars down on. Instead of having adjustable rollers for the back half of the car, they have 4 different drums. That can make it tough to get some cars anchored correctly.

Originally Posted by Doug Axelrod
Very helpful, I suppose I could get the cat-back done here and bring the XEDE to Chicago for installation? What think? I'll contact Vishnu about availability of these items, as delays could break the timing for me doing this in Chicago.
Sounds perfect - installing an XEDE is a snap, same with reflashes.

Originally Posted by lithe
My XFlash would be a new purchase...I'm assuming Shiv could do it right on the dyno?
Yes!

Originally Posted by heshamnaim
I currently have an xede (subzero). I would be interested in upgrading to a stage 1 with a custom tune and an xede-flash if we get this going. Sign me up!
Consider yourself added! - I'll assume you'll everything installed ahead of time.
Old May 27, 2004, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Count me in with a custom tune.

Last edited by EV0lut10n_8; Jun 22, 2004 at 10:31 AM.
Old May 27, 2004, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm... Maybe Hesh and I can get our Xede reflashed with the current firmware as well....

After the exhaust install I picked up the cold idle problem that the flash should solve.
Old May 27, 2004, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Yep Shiv will also do all firmware updates at the event...it really took no time at all to update everyone that was at our shop...really smooths the idle out...
Old May 28, 2004, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

AMS can for sure do the gears, and cams, GRD in Naperville also said they can do them too for those that can't do them on their own.

But, I have a question, what do you do about setting the gears BEFORE Shiv can tune the car, or before you can upload the correct map yourself. Is the car drivable before the tune (with gears/cams) and how much trouble is it to adjust the gears once they are in???
Old May 28, 2004, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, yep and yep.....we installed several cars with the "hardware" before Shiv arrived....
on one of the cars we dynoed it stock ...installed full exhaust and cam gears and dynoed it again and saw an increase of 25 whp....
Old May 28, 2004, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Andrew,

So like Stockfornow asked...just set the cam gears normal when installing them and Shiv can do the rest while on the dyno? Or is there a way we should line them up that he prefers? I want to say there is...

You told me to set the gears so they line up with the red dots on the cam cover...anything else I need to know?

Thanks!
Old May 28, 2004, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

With the stage 1 cars (no cams) install them just how they are shipped with the red dots aligning with the marks on the cam cover and the crank pully at the TDC mark (retards the cams 5 degrees from the "0" mark on the cam gears)

For the cars with cams (stage 1+) install the gears the same but only retard cams 2 degrees instead of 5 degrees as in stage 1 from the "0" mark on the cam gears

Do not install Xedes or the in line bleeder (xflash) until shiv gets there
Hope this helps
Old May 28, 2004, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Perfect!

Great info, thanks!
Old May 28, 2004, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the assist Andrew!
Old May 28, 2004, 12:08 PM

Are you still planning for July 22 and 23? There are no mention of any dates on this thread. Or are dates still tenative depending on dyno availability?
Old May 28, 2004, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

I think we're still trying to find a place to host the event...like you thought.

Maybe PM Erioshi for the latest developments...he helped start this.
Old May 29, 2004, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Hi everyone - I will be making calls next week to arrange a site. Last week I was busy trying to get my new Piper cams (and springs and retainers) installed.

Looks like we are down to only 2 more slots. Freedom posted a thread in NASOIC linking to here, so we may see some Scubies, too. So far things are looking good!

Last edited by erioshi; May 29, 2004 at 08:39 AM.
Old May 30, 2004, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Keep up the good work erioshi! It's very much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Brand New Chicago Dyno Day thread!