Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Advice on AEM Meth, Tru Boost, and map switching...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2009, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on AEM Meth, Tru Boost, and map switching...

Ok I just need a little guidance here from those with experience, I'm currently running the mods listed in my sig along with the Tephra V5.10 patch. I have an AEM Meth kit on the way along with the JT map switching harness, I just need some insight on how to setup.
Since I'm running EBC I want to be able to not only switch to a safer AFR/Timing map in the event of a failure, but also cut back on boost. From what I've read and grasped tell me if this sounds correct. The Tru-Boost has a boost scramble feature that when the 'orange' wire is grounded it is activated. For my purpose would I simply connect the boost safe output wire of the meth kit "grounded when active" to the orange wire of the tru-boost "also needs ground to be active" and then set the scramble boost's duty cycle to something lower?
Sorry if this has been covered already but my search didn't come up with any results.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

anyone?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 02:15 PM
Former Sponsor

From what I understand the AEM boost safe is based on the fluid level switch input on the system. So not a true fail safe is other things happen.

Here is a link to our failsafe.

http://www.labontemotorsports.com/st...onitoring.html

The IFS-30C will keep you at WG until meth is flowing. Once meth flow is above set point you can make more boost. With this configuration also protects if a fuse blows or you loose a wire connection on your meth system.

Best regards,

Dan
Old Jan 24, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I think I saw your car last night at Ribkage.

I thought scramble boost could only be used to raise boost. You can experiment by triggering the scramble boost and seeing what happens when you set the duty low. If it works you can set it up like you described. If it is not the case you could just use the failsafe output through a relay to turn the boost controller off so you get wastegate pressure. Also if your boost is not too crazy, you could just have the alternate map tuned very conservatively so you can still run the same boost on pump gas. You will be able to feel that something is wrong because the car will feel considerably slower with the lower timing.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Labonte MotorSports
From what I understand the AEM boost safe is based on the fluid level switch input on the system. So not a true fail safe is other things happen.

Here is a link to our failsafe.

http://www.labontemotorsports.com/st...onitoring.html

The IFS-30C will keep you at WG until meth is flowing. Once meth flow is above set point you can make more boost. With this configuration also protects if a fuse blows or you loose a wire connection on your meth system.

Best regards,

Dan
The AEM failsafe is more advanced than you think.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Dan I may just have to look into that IFS-30C

Originally Posted by wreckleford
I think I saw your car last night at Ribkage.

I thought scramble boost could only be used to raise boost. You can experiment by triggering the scramble boost and seeing what happens when you set the duty low. If it works you can set it up like you described. If it is not the case you could just use the failsafe output through a relay to turn the boost controller off so you get wastegate pressure. Also if your boost is not too crazy, you could just have the alternate map tuned very conservatively so you can still run the same boost on pump gas. You will be able to feel that something is wrong because the car will feel considerably slower with the lower timing.
I would hope it wasn't my car that you saw, because I've been off the island since and just came back last night...unless the girlfriend has some explaining to do
Yeah actually I'm in the process of testing the scramble boost right now, based on what I've read it should be able to run a lower duty cycle than the presets for my A and B. Also, I wasn't able to get the map switching harness so I'm planning on running a "not too aggressive" meth map so in the unlikely event of an error at least it wont be detrimental on pump gas along with scrammble boost "cut."
Thanks for the info...
Old Jan 29, 2009, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you any pict of the wiring AEM manual?
You need to include the failsafe wire in the JT map switching in order to control maps, from here you just have to set different BDEL / WGDC values in each set.
Post manual or link to check how to find a precise solution.
Cheers,
C>
Old Jan 30, 2009, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

AEM Meth manual
http://www.aempower.com/images/produ...0Injection.pdf

AEM Tru Boost manual
http://www.aempower.com/images/produ...%2030-4350.pdf

Ok I just got done with it last night, since I wasn't able to get the JT map switching harness I'm forced to just use the scramble boost as my fail safe for the time being. Currently the boost safe (green) wire is connected to the scramble boost (orange) wire, and I have the scramble boost duty cycle very low (20%) compared to my A setting (45%) which peaks me at about 24psi.
One question though, when I was doing the initial testing of the kit (using water), how is the pump suppose to behave? I dont have any errors because the led comes on solid and stays, the spray starts out slow and gradually increases, but when it gets to the end of the test it sounds as if the pump is pulsing, then the test ends.
Is that the normal behavior?
Does the start and stop psi have anything to do with the test?
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, I checked the manuals.
Your solution to use the Tephra patch with your AEM set should be something like this:

Hope it helps.
Cheers.

Last edited by Vigman; Jan 30, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vigman
Your solution to use the Tephra patch with your AEM set should be something like this:

Hope it helps.
Cheers.
Sorry bout that, been a little busy the past couple days, well i got the kit up and running, for the time being I just used the scramble boost as my fail safe.
Thanks a lot for the diagram, unfortunately I'm not very "electrically inclined" and here in Jamaica I don't have any access to an evo ix ecu pin. I'm hoping that JT makes those harness' soon.
But I do have one question, I've been reading up on meth and mixtures etc. first of all, is there any benefit to using distilled water in a 50/50 mix, or is regular tap water better. Also, does 50/50 mix mean literally, for example, 1/2 gallon meth to 1/2 gallon water? I'm not big on chemistry but I've read threads talking about the weight of the liquids being taken into consideration when doing the mix.

Well so far so good, I clocked a 12.025 at 123mph with 27lbs on a relatively stock car with crappy tires and a last minute tune.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

1- If you want, I can make the harness right as the diagram with the IX pin.
2- Regarding mix, there are several thread about that... Some like full meth, others (as me) prefer 50-50% mix. No matter about weight, you do it by volume (1/2 gal water + 1/2 gal meth) but water has to be distilled. The most important is to make your tune specifically for your mix.
Cheers,
Old Feb 4, 2009, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Hope it helps.
Cheers.
Can you explain the use of the diode between power and the AEM safe wire?

Also the grounded 10 ohm resistor and the zener diode?

For some reason I thought the output for the map switching needed to be grounded and not the ECU pulling to ground.

Rassfass, I built an adapter harness for an Evo 4 with a 9 engine so it can use the 9 ECU and get Mivec control. I have a few unused pins you could get.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Vigman, never mind I found the answers to my questions.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

1- If you want, I can make the harness right as the diagram with the IX pin.
2- Regarding mix, there are several thread about that... Some like full meth, others (as me) prefer 50-50% mix. No matter about weight, you do it by volume (1/2 gal water + 1/2 gal meth) but water has to be distilled. The most important is to make your tune specifically for your mix.
Cheers,
Vigman I may just have to take you up on that, I'm going to see if I can get it done here first though. If Wreckleford can spare a pin then maybe I can get it done here.
Thanks
Wreckleford I'm going to send a pm your way.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Good luck guys, It will obviously be a lot better to do everything in Jamaica!
Just let me know if you are stuck.

Quick Reply: Advice on AEM Meth, Tru Boost, and map switching...