Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

going blind from methanol inhalation- is this a risk with vented container lids?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2009, 02:23 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the vent hole is a pin size whole. With that you aint going to smell nothing. You shouldn't be concerned about the vapors unless there is a leak.
Shoot you inhale tons of hair spray what not fumes on a daily basis that you should be more concerned about.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Windshield wiper fluid is a no go honestly. Anyone who has run it knows they don't use distilled water. Think about the nozzle size difference. The inside of my IC pipes were caked with mineral deposits and my nozzles didn't keep that fine mist spraying. I ran only windshield wiper fluid for a few months and then looked at the inside of my pipes, it was nasty to say the least. I would not recommend this at all, probably better off running straight distilled water until you can locate meth.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:15 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 05blue8
Windshield wiper fluid is a no go honestly. Anyone who has run it knows they don't use distilled water. Think about the nozzle size difference. The inside of my IC pipes were caked with mineral deposits and my nozzles didn't keep that fine mist spraying. I ran only windshield wiper fluid for a few months and then looked at the inside of my pipes, it was nasty to say the least. I would not recommend this at all, probably better off running straight distilled water until you can locate meth.

Yup I tested this out myself and came to the same conclusion. Anyone selling a kit saying its ok to use windshield cleaner needs to strike that off their website.
DO NOT USE WINDSHIELD CLEANER
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the hell is going on in here? Do you guys know what other health risks we encounter everyday from just about everything and you are worried about Methanol vapor exposure? I lol'ed really hard when i saw this thread.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Considering there are thousands of Saturday night dirt track racers who have been running meth for decades and are generally not big on things like respirators I'd say you're reasonably safe.

However, I absolutely could see the meth fumes seeping into the interior if the car was parked in the sun for a while without being driven and the meth started evaporating since the main divider between the interior and the trunk is a seat cushion. Bit we're probably talking a pretty long period of time.

I think the fuel cell with the external vent and foam inside is the way to go. The reasons listed above (accident, sloshing) are all perfectly valid reasons why it's a better setup.

I don't get the "you do other things bad for you so this OK" attitudes though. So we eat cheeseburgers, should we also play Russian roulette or smoke crack? Cause you know those things are bad for you too...

Last edited by hotrod2448; Apr 21, 2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

This page.......scroll down = link to download MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) in PDF (Look for the one for M1 methanol)
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/spec_sheets.asp

Very very nasty stuff to store whats unused in the garage or in the supply tank in the car trunk as well as just simple handling during transfer from the bulk container to the supply tank in the trunk.

Jr dragster tank is effective but it does not have provisions for a roll over valve (have used it myself).

One step further would be to seal off the trunk by removing the rear seats and installing a piece of sheet metal and then reinstalling the seats. Without treating the system like an axillary fuel system and depending on the track, tech inspectors should fail the car if they know whats in the supply tank.

Just food for thought for those that wish to use heavy methanol concentrations.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by aqmist
Jr dragster tank is effective but it does not have provisions for a roll over valve (have used it myself).
Jaz advised me to put a loop or two in the vent line, which is what I did, to address roll over issues. Even if it does leak, it's going to go out under the car rather than in the trunk.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:45 PM
Account Disabled

Jazz fuel cells are big $$$
Old Apr 22, 2009, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

So, regarding the external venting, anyone have pics of their setups? I would like to see where and how the line is routed...
Old Apr 22, 2009, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05blue8
+1
I will be using a blend of methanol and distilled water

Originally Posted by killthelights14
What the hell is going on in here? Do you guys know what other health risks we encounter everyday from just about everything and you are worried about Methanol vapor exposure? I lol'ed really hard when i saw this thread.
I like the response to this ^ post...

Originally Posted by aqmist
This page.......scroll down = link to download MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) in PDF (Look for the one for M1 methanol)
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/spec_sheets.asp

Very very nasty stuff to store whats unused in the garage or in the supply tank in the car trunk as well as just simple handling during transfer from the bulk container to the supply tank in the trunk.

One step further would be to seal off the trunk by removing the rear seats and installing a piece of sheet metal and then reinstalling the seats. Without treating the system like an axillary fuel system and depending on the track, tech inspectors should fail the car if they know whats in the supply tank.

Just food for thought for those that wish to use heavy methanol concentrations.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

im using the stock ic sprayer bottle and i still smell methanol everytime i walk by or get into my car. im runnin 100% meth...
Old Jun 8, 2009, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Ethanol is an antidote to methanol poisoning, so just make sure you drink a beer when refilling.

Seriously! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol#Toxicity

Don't worry though, unless you intend on drinking it.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ksattic
Ethanol is an antidote to methanol poisoning, so just make sure you drink a beer when refilling.

Seriously! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol#Toxicity

Don't worry though, unless you intend on drinking it.

good thing if I always have some beers in me while I'm out in the garage
I thought the part at the end about how it breaks down fast in the environment (a week or less in water) was pretty interesting, and compared to some gasolines that could be hundreds of days... guess by running meth I'm not hurting the environment so much which is something else I wondered about