Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Strange Issue with Shifting

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2013, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Issue with Shifting

So last night I was driving back from a gas station and I pulled up to a stop sign. I was in 2nd gear and I was about to put it into first and noticed that my car would not shift into 1st gear. When I pressed down on the clutch pedal there was no pressure and it felt limp. I let the car sit overnight since it was dark and I couldn't see anything to speak of in the engine bay and there was a decent amount of brake fluid left in the reservoir.

This morning I topped of the brake fluid and tried to see if I could get the car to go into gear. I started the car up and was still not able to put it in gear and turned it off. When the car was off I put it into first gear and then tried to start it causing it to stall. While the car was off I put it into first gear and had my dad push the car. I started the car and it caught gear and was able to drive it back to my house. When I got back to my house I turned off the car and tried to start the car again in neutral and shift into first... no luck.

I then put the car in first while it was off and powered on the car. It caught and I took a few laps around the neighborhood. While driving all of the pressure came back to the clutch pedal and it was no longer limp. My car was driving and shifting perfectly until the incident last night and seems to be running perfectly now. Any ideas as to what may have caused this and if it may happen again?

Currently I have brass shifter base bushings, brass underhood bushings, RRM Clutchline, Stage 2 Clutchmaster Clutch (Installed 30000 miles ago). This is my DD and have fun driving it. I really don't abuse the car and have never taken it to a track.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 08:53 AM

I forgot to mention that the car will now start while I have it in neutral and I can shift into first without any problem whatsoever.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

there was probably some air in your clutch line? i know when i manually push on the clutch slave cylinder piston, i can get some air in the system and it causes my clutch to feel limp as in NO PRESSURE AT ALL. try bleeding it and see if that helps.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 09:54 AM

I was going to attempt that today after work and see what happens. As of right now it is working perfectly and I haven't compressed the slave cylinder at all manually. I did notice that there is a small clinging noise coming from inside transmission somewhere behind the slave cylinder. My car has always made this noise since the clutch was swapped out though.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:33 PM

Their doesn't appear to be any leaks in clutch line. I pulled back the boot on the slave cyclinder and it was not leaking any fluid. I did not see any leaks on the master cylinder in the engine bay or behind the dash. Its been raining hear all day so it's possible that I just couldn't see any leak on the master.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
it may already be completely empty, lol...

refill the master and bleed, it should only come out from one place
Old Jul 3, 2013, 09:46 AM

Well Cranswick, it would seem that you are correct. The engine bay portion of my master cylinder is leaking around the black plate on the side of it... this is not going to be fun to replace lol.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zakdamunky
Well Cranswick, it would seem that you are correct. The engine bay portion of my master cylinder is leaking around the black plate on the side of it... this is not going to be fun to replace lol.
it's not going to be fun for sure but don't forget to do a write-up so we can all learn a thing or two about a thing or two

we're all here to help if you need anything!
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

yeah the master sucks, it's fairly tight in there...

just for the record are you using an after market clutch? did you remove/bypass the slave modulator?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

bro i did the search for you as i wanted you to take a look at this thread before anything else. it's really helpful and i've learned a lot from this write-up. very descriptive and very photo-intensive so you will NOT miss anything. enjoy!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...intensive.html

if you have any questions, just post up and don't forget PICTURES! it's easier to discuss something when we have a photo of what the issue is in our heads.

cheers bro! hope this helps!
Old Jul 4, 2013, 07:58 AM

Yes I have a stage 2 clutchmaster clutch. Installed about 30k miles ago. I do have the rrm clutchline as well wich bypassed the modulator
Old Jul 4, 2013, 08:00 AM

And I appreciate the help so far. I'm ordering the new CMC today and will probably work on it Monday or Tuesday of next week. Ill post pics too.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Yes I have a stage 2 clutchmaster clutch. Installed about 30k miles ago. I do have the rrm clutchline as well wich bypassed the modulator
there's your problem...too much pressure...you'll want an Evo 8/9 master, then see how long the slave will last...
Old Jul 4, 2013, 02:30 PM

The pressure plate on the stage 2 I have is the same pressure as the stage 1. The only difference between the my stage 2 and the stage one is Kevlar pads. My clutch actually felt softer than the oem one I replaced.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

something was wrong, there's no way a stage 1 pressure plate should feel softer than OEM...

Quick Reply: Strange Issue with Shifting