Notices

door speaker & tweeter questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2005, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
door speaker & tweeter questions

I would like to replace the factory speakers, but I dont really know what to look for since I have the S&S package. I know that our door speaker are 6 3/4" but do I want to get component speakers with built in tweeters or do I want door speakers without a tweeter? Once I get the speakers, will I be able to simply unbolt the old door speakers and bolt the new ones in? And if I get an amp for my mids and highs later on, do the tweeters need a channel from the amp or would I just need a 4 channel amp for the 4- 6 3/4" door speakers?
Old Dec 24, 2005, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

this is a highly debated topic but here is what i did. the EVO uses the same Lancer audio system. since both cars are from Japan the actual speaker size is Euro-Din 170mm or 7". i can tell you that people have done 6.5's & 6.75's but u have to fabb brackets (all the US brackets are too small) & take into account your mounting depth. i had to move midbass drivers out 3/4" so my windows would roll down!!! mount your tweeters either in the stock a-pillar location or on the inside of your mirror brackets. u will not want to mix n match new stuff with the factory speakers. it complicates wiring & sounds crappy anyway. if you don't want to put a new sub in the back, remove the rear deck speakers for nicer ones & fab small boxes around them. if you are dealing with the sun & sound package, yhe factory amp may not have enuff power to run your new speakers in which case you will want to run a 4 ch amp. or you could yank the factory amp & run a 5 channel amp as well.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

I put infinity kappa components in the doors, and there was enough room to mount the 6 1/2 speaker and crossover without any clearance issues putting the window down. Our s&s system runs off of a 7 channel amp (one for each speaker), and because of the way it was designed, its probably gonna be easier to replace everything all at once.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Does anyone know enough about car stereos to be able to explain what it so complicated about our stereos. Every thread I have read about this subject talks about how your better off just ripping the whole S&S out and starting over than to try and integrate it with new parts. What is so messed up about it.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

I got my 6-3/4 Diamond Audio speakers from etronics.com
I have a set of 6.5 kappas from my last car and they sounded pretty good, more bass but not as clear of highs.

Someone here sells the mount brackets, I could even fab some up if you need them.

You don't necessarily have to replace the back speakers, many people say the same thing, you only need them for fill, although it will sound better.

There are plenty of posts about how to setup a new system. If you just want to use a new HU you have get adapters for the amp and vice versa. The power from the stock amp isn't sufficent enough to power the new speakers. The wiring would also be a pain if you didn't just replace it all at once.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NonEvo
Does anyone know enough about car stereos to be able to explain what it so complicated about our stereos. Every thread I have read about this subject talks about how your better off just ripping the whole S&S out and starting over than to try and integrate it with new parts. What is so messed up about it.
The proprietary connectors between head unit and amp, and amp and speakers.

Just changing speakers would be relatively easy, but if you're doing that, you probably want more than the stock amp can put out. So, you swap the amp, but then have to somehow connect it to the head unit. Fine, replace the head unit, too...

And pretty soon, you've ripped the whole stock system out and replaced it.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by r3z0nate
You don't necessarily have to replace the back speakers, many people say the same thing, you only need them for fill, although it will sound better.
Depends on what you like. Personally, I like to sound like I'm in the middle of the soundstage, rather than like I'm sitting there listening to a concert on my windshield. I bias my stereo -3 to the back, so I'd definitely replace those rear deck speakers if I changed the front ones.

Last edited by Myszkewicz; Dec 24, 2005 at 08:57 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

It is messed up because it incorporates a seven channel amplifier with a din input(black cable) instead of the traditional RCA component inputs(red and white or clear and white). They sell adapters if you search on the internet so you can tie a new head unit into the cable or a new amp into the cable. So if you want to replace the amp you have to buy at least a four channel amp and I recommend a two channel or mono amp to go with it. If you go with only a four channel setup you can still push your sub but your amp will be strained due to seven speakers being hooked to one amp.

You can definitely just replace the speakers, but you will find that you could also just replace your single amp with two amps, and replace just the 8" sub in the trunk with a ten or twelve inch. Power is what makes the speakers, and while the factory setup is decent, it is lacking in power.

I have a 200X2@4ohm RMS amp pushing one ten and one twelve, to level out the frequencies they produce. I also have a 60X4@4ohm RMS amp pushing the other six speakers, which are more than sufficient to create good sound with the right amount of power going to them. I mounted the amps under my drivers and passengers seats and spliced into the factory harness so I wouldn't have to wire everything throughout the whole car.

One last note and I will end this book Wire quality is often overlooked, and for your signal cable(the rca cables) this is very important. They may charge 35+ USD for 9ft of cable, but it really is worth it to upgrade from the cheapest option.

Happy thumping
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

exactly what has been said above, this system was designed to all work with itself. If your upgrading for more power and better sound, it ends up being one thing after another.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

i dont see the point in replacing the speakers unless you blew one. theyre loud enough for me and sound better than a lot of speakers you an buy. if it aint broke, dont fix it. and if you need an adapter for you cd player anybody i have the adaptor. ill sell it for 10 bucks shipped.