27.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Manual vs Auto v2.0

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2004, 11:20 PM
Dew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual vs Auto v2.0

I know this has prob been done before, so we need a new one!

What trans. is your car, Manual or Auto?

...and if you answer, tell us why you picked that. Mine is manual because I wanted a car i could have more control over and was more fun to drive.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

pick it because i didnt know how to drive a stick and never had any pratice before...i regret every minute of it but then again if i have gotten a 5spd lancer i probably wouldnt of end up gettin a gti...
Old Jan 8, 2004, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

lol i made a poll like this a while ago
Old Jan 8, 2004, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

oh and i got it cause its:
faster
cooler
more gas efficient
more control
more mod options
$900 less on invoice
Old Jan 9, 2004, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

This is my second Manual drive car...Love it and the it really doesn't compare having an automatic....the closest and automatic has gotten is the sports tronic shifters in the eclipse which is a good way to learn the shifting of gears etc...but the clutch takes practice...
Old Jan 9, 2004, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

auto. frankly my wife drives it when i drink too much (and any SCLC person knows that happens most meets). Second i sit in traffic 35-45 minutes each way to work (alot of good my turbo does me there eh?).
Old Jan 9, 2004, 10:04 AM
Dew

yeah, i drive in about an hour of traffic to work each way, so 2 hours a day im just sitting there, shifting up and down. I was already an impatient driver, but now im worse because i have to drive a stick in traffic,
Old Jan 9, 2004, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Automatic - Parents picked out the car and suprised me on my birthday, so i cant complain, but i do wish i had stick
Old Jan 9, 2004, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i went to 2 mitsu dealers, and although one was a used car lot, he had 2 lancers, both Autos, the other one had abotu 12 lancers...all auto...so i went with my 02es thunder gray for 7.5k instead of the 02 OZ Rally for 12k...u can obviously understand why, lmao.

i really wanted a 5spd though..my last car(truck actually) was a 5 spd and i loved it.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

auto, simply because i dont know how to drive stick and no one wants to teach me-afraid ill burn theyre clutch or something....
Old Jan 9, 2004, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a '01 Eclipse GT with Sportronic semi-automatic, and I'll grant it was fun to drive but after a while I found myself second-guessing the transmission fairly often. For example, in "manual" mode it wouldn't let me downshift to 1st if I was going anywhere over 30, but in full automatic mode if I floored it while over 30 (and slowing down) it would downshift to 1st. So I found that in order to come fast out of a turn I would have switch to automatic mode, floor it, wait for the automatic downshift to 1st, then switch back to manual mode.

It was then I decided it was time for me to bite the bullet and learn to drive stick, especially if I was going to get the car I wanted next (i.e. the one I have now). Unfortunately the last time I had tried to learn, a friend of mine had tried to teach me in his POS student-mobile, and after an hour of stalling and bucking we both kinda gave up.

This time, a friend from work was kind enough to teach me... in his STi. Things went fairly well, and the next week I went and bought the Evo. The first few days were kinda rough--missed shifts, stalls galore, clutch smoke. But eventually I got the hang of it and I'm pretty good with it now. Still far from being an expert--the thought of parallel parking on steep slopes still makes me cringe--but I'm getting better every day...

Last edited by vtluu; Jan 9, 2004 at 12:20 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 07:55 PM

Mine is an automatic....simply because I dont know how to drive a stick....someone tried to teach me and I didnt do all that bad but I would get too frustrated with it and I'm not quite sure if I have enough coordination to drive a stick (I'm a blond) haha
Old Jan 13, 2004, 09:59 AM

Mine is manual (get bored while driving auto)...........i learned using it from our forklift at work!!!. When I took my first car (used 87 celica) from the dealership....I didn't even have experience driving stick in car. I just apply my skills from the forklift to the car....and it worked!!!!!
Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:36 PM
i45
Evolving Member

I have Auto Right now, like with IILANCERII02, I got it 4 a suprise on my B-day, though one I get a RA This summer it'sa gonna be Manual!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

My RA is a manual. I drive mine 90 miles to and from work. Luckily most of it is open freeway. Having the control over the gears makes it worth having a manual.