Notices

My Road Trip....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Road Trip....

I just wanted to share my weekend with you all and see if you have the same numbers and likes about our R.A. on road trips.

This was my first road trip since I bought the car in November. I put on 1000 in three days and I think my car runs better now than ever before. The "break in" is over....hopefully.

Around town I usually get about 19/20mpg but on this freeway only trip I got all the way up to 27mpg averaging about 80mph. I am overly impressed with that and pretty shocked. I think thats more than what the window sticker said (can't remember tho).

Also, while on I-5 I was able to open up and get my car up to 125 . It got a little wobbly, but there was a tad amount of wind and the freeway isn't in all that great of shape. Even tho it was a little intimidating, it was still fun. Also the majority of my trip was driving for atleast 3/4 hours at a time before stopping for gas or food, I had the car going 90-100 and safely weaving in and out of traffic. I love the available amount of torque I have in 5th gear at 80 mph. 80-100 comes so fast with all that torque. Also, when I'm doing about 80 and I want to pass, slamming the car into 3rd gear feels like I just pushed a Nitrous button. Once I got to San Diego on Saturday and drove around a bit, my car felt as if it ran better than ever before.

The seats were extrememly comfortable for hours at a time and this is the first car I have ever owned that I can proudly say my @$$ didn't hurt after an hour, despite the stiff springs and low ride.

I learned this weekend, how much more I LOVE my new R.A. I hope you all love your's just as much, and I'd love to hear about your road trip stories, and top MPH......perhaps some day, NorCal owners can get together and cruise down south. There's plenty of fun driving along the coast.

One more thing.....I just calculated something. It took me 7.5 hours (450 minutes) to get from San Diego to Elk Grove (500 Miles) and I stopped for food and then again for gas. 450/500 averages 90 MPH......whoops....T.G. for radar detectors!!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

One more thing.... I was a little disappointed I didn't see a single R.A., but I did catch a glimpse at about 10 yellow 03 O.Z.'s. Is that the only color that people bought?
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Great to hear, man! I'm still in the "babying" phase of my RA (day 3 of owning!), but I'm looking forward to seeing what it can really do. I have seen glimpses of it though, especially on the highway, so I'm incredibly satisfied right now.

As for the O.Z., I'm in Chicago, and I swear that the only color of lancer I see anymore is yellow! And the occasional black or silver evo. Still haven't seen a fellow RA yet....but I'm sure they'll be coming soon
Old Jan 20, 2004, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I'm now just over 4,200 miles on my RA. I noticed a big change in HP and acceleration once my car broke about 1200-1500 miles. When I first got my RA it felt slow as hell and it felt like it didn't have much potential and after the break in phase now I feel like I'm driving a 4 door sports car And that's crazy that you were talking about I-5 because I live off Watt and 50 and I drive on I-5 everyday out here in Sac. I've gotten up to 130+ on I-5 a few times. It's hard to tell my top speed though considering the tach only goes to 130. We should meet up sometime. Another guy and I are going to Muffler tech in February to get exhaust on the same day. I've still yet to see another RA here in Sac. Maybe I'll see you someday
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:47 PM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: My Road Trip....

Originally posted by lkwdkuraj02

Also, while on I-5 I was able to open up and get my car up to 125. It got a little wobbly, but there was a tad amount of wind and the freeway isn't in all that great of shape. Even tho it was a little intimidating, it was still fun. I had the car going 90-100 and safely weaving in and out of traffic. Also, when I'm doing about 80 and I want to pass, slamming the car into 3rd gear

I'd love to hear about your road trip stories, and top MPH

One more thing.....I just calculated something. It took me 7.5 hours (450 minutes) to get from San Diego to Elk Grove (500 Miles) and I stopped for food and then again for gas. 450/500 averages 90 MPH......whoops....T.G. for radar detectors!!
Well... where to start... there's the foolish run at 125 on a windy day on a surface that "isn't all that great of shape". There's "going 90-100 weaving in and out of traffic... not safely as there's no such thing as safely weaving in and out, especially at much higher speed. There's the mechanically abusive "slamming the car into 3rd gear at 80". There's the inquiry into other road trips and top mph which should be mutually exclusive events with any max mph forays being on a track where that type thing belongs.

Oh, you might want to pay more attention in math class as well since 90mph times 7.5 hours is 675 miles. 500 miles in 7.5 hours is 66.67 mph avg speed.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

^ sheesh, whats your problem, be nice.

lkwdkuraj02 glad you like your ralliart, im thinking of purchasing one by december.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by lkwdkuraj02
One more thing.... I was a little disappointed I didn't see a single R.A., but I did catch a glimpse at about 10 yellow 03 O.Z.'s. Is that the only color that people bought?
Mitsubishi did produce more Yellow OZs in 02 and 03 than any other color.

I liked having the only Lancer in a town of almost 28,000 people. Then a month later, I was happy to have the only Yellow one. Now, I'm glad to have the only CLEAN one.

Seriously, I'm seeing more silver and white now than any other color. I've seen 2 red ones (not counting at MLC meets) and maybe 10 different black or thunder grey cars.

I like the yellow. It's not nasty egg yolk like Ford yellow, and it's not school bus orange like GM or Dodge yellow.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: My Road Trip....

Originally posted by LDB

Well... where to start... there's the foolish run at 125 on a windy day on a surface that "isn't all that great of shape". There's "going 90-100 weaving in and out of traffic... not safely as there's no such thing as safely weaving in and out, especially at much higher speed. There's the mechanically abusive "slamming the car into 3rd gear at 80". There's the inquiry into other road trips and top mph which should be mutually exclusive events with any max mph forays being on a track where that type thing belongs.

Oh, you might want to pay more attention in math class as well since 90mph times 7.5 hours is 675 miles. 500 miles in 7.5 hours is 66.67 mph avg speed.
Ohhhhhkaaaaayyyy....

Look, people here are gonna beat on cars. I don't, LDB, maybe you don't, but some will. I don't approve of reckless driving or endangering others. If I see someone do it, I get a plate number and call the cops. lkwdkuraj02, I would personally like it if you be a bit more careful, if not for your sake, then for the sake of others around you.

As for the math remark, LDB, you could have been a little more tactful.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i dont fraekin get it....its only been for like a week....my RA is already on 800 kilos....what the hell???
Old Jan 21, 2004, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

insomniac how do like the ra compared to your 03 oz?
Old Jan 21, 2004, 08:36 AM
Dew

Yeah I love pushing mine when I just have to get some speed, and the RA performs when I want it to. I have almost 2,600 on mine and loving every minute of it.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

First, I would like to say thank you dad a.k.a LDB .....wasn't really looking for a lecture on how I drive my car and how "wreckless" I am or not. But thanks for your concern. I sure as hell didn't buy my car to baby it around town. I bought it to push it to the limits, drive the heck out of it, and trade it in, in about a year....if I can hold out that long. So I calculated wrong, whoopdee......anyone up for math classes with me? Maybe LDB can tutor us.

Sailorgoon....I do understand being careful around others and I do try and limit it as much as possible....I too have called 911 on many people driving EXTREMELY wreckless and reporting the license plates. I mean someone has to driving way more crazy than I for me to call the authorities. I scare myself just thinking what I would do with myself if I had the Evo.

I also wanted to comment with Marques question. I had an O.Z., yellow infact, and now the R.A. I was very impressed at first with the power and handling of the OZ, but now that I have the RA everything fails in comparison, except for the gas mileage. The OZ is sloshier feeling, especially around corners, brakes aren't as good, and I did feel like I needed a little more torque. One thing I liked style wise about the OZ was the square-ish spoiler. I'm not too crazy about the spoiler on the R.A.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:14 AM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, since I've had personal experience with drivers using the highways as their personal race tracks just like outlined in the original post I have a bad taste for it. When you've had someone you love hospitalized for an extended period because of injuries suffered when someone was "weaving in and out of traffic" you may change your tune as well. It's not a matter of IF there will be an accident, it's a matter of WHEN will the accident happen.

That type driving is for racetracks and autocross courses and not for the highway. Passing other drivers at 30-40 or more mph above their speed is an invitation to eventual disaster in the uncontrolled setting of a highway, especially if it requires "weaving in and out of traffic".

I will apologize for the math comment but the previous comments had me cranked and sounded like the typical schooler with the hot car so that's where that came from.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Marques
insomniac how do like the ra compared to your 03 oz?
its alot better than the oz, acceleration, body roll, handling, ride is a bit hard, nice sound system!!! loving he infinity system, the sub kicks ***, no rattle, and when i start up the car, it sounded like i've got an aftermarket muffler, it screams, my girl was like, what the hell have you done to your car?? i was like, i got it like this, it was funny... :
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:24 AM
Dew

yeah i love the stock sound on it. I'd had to get a CAT exhaust and lose the great sound on it, but, then again I need more HP! lol