Notices

04 Lancer Ralliart bad alternator?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Lancer Ralliart bad alternator?

Hi guys I'm new to this forum can't really find my way around but if there are any posts identical to this then please direct me to it.

Anyways the other day I was on the highway, smelled something burning but i didn't think anything of it. When i got to town my car stalled, and i got it running after about two tries. Drove it for about another half mile, and it drove fine. As it was idling I turned the car off and restarted it a couple times and it was fine. Then all of a sudden it wouldn't start anymore. When i popped the hood open the alternator smelled fried and it was very hot.

I tried charging the car battery but it still sounded like it didn't have enough juice. So i bought a new battery and it seems to have more juice but still wouldn't crank the motor over. My friends think i shot the starter when trying to attempt to start the car so I took the starter out and I'm going to get it checked out later.

This is my first mitsu and I'm not sure if the electrical system is wired differently than other makes? Not sure if the alternator has to be good in order for the vehicle to be started or not.

So sum it up :
-car stalled while driving
-got it to start up and drove about a mile with no problems
-got it to start a couple times until it wouldn't start anymore
-noticed that alternator smelled burnt and was very hot.
-New battery wouldn't turn the car over
-when i try to start the car, it sounds like the starter was not getting enough power,
Old Dec 12, 2015, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Dkvang920
Anyways the other day I was on the highway, smelled something burning but i didn't think anything of it.
LOL!

anyway, the starter motor runs off the battery, the alternator charges the battery while the engine is running...once the engine is running, the battery doesn't do a whole lot of anything on its own, unless the alternator dies, at which point you'll get the battery light on the dash, and you better find a safe place to pull over...so if it won't start with a new battery then it's probably the starter...or your alternator is seized so bad it's putting too much drag on the crankshaft for the starter to overcome...

take the serpentine belt off and see if the alternator pulley moves freely.