Notices

Grinding Noise?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Grinding Noise?

So I noticed on Monday that occasionally when Im turning left and taking off from like a stop light that something in the front left makes a grinding noise. It ends after just a second or two. But this morning when it started I stayed on the gas and it kept it up for a while instead of just ending like it did.

I was thinking CV joint, or ball bearings. Anyone have any other ideas or things I can try to figure out what this is?

Thanks guys!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
my guess is CV joint. mine does that only on turns when its really cold out but goes away once the joints get warmed up and moving. the shop i take my car to said that they noticed my CV joints were beginning to leak and need replacing but we'll see how long i go without it haha
Old Sep 21, 2013, 02:51 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with the cv joints , get under there and check for any leaks
Old Sep 22, 2013, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Yea I'm gunna have to check that. I just haven't had much time lately. Gfs bday, renovating parts of my house, lawn mower is jacked up... Ugh... Being a homeowner sucks so far... Lol

Anyway I wanted to test it a bit more as I've noticed my car has felt a bit wonky lately. Like it doesn't feel like all the power is getting to the wheels. So on the way home I went from cruising to stomping the gas. Mivec kicks in, and the tranny down shifts (a bit slower than normal I might add) then the pull usually occurs. Well it hasn't had the same amount of pull lately. But after doing this a few times I noticed that grinding noise is happening under the sound of the engine.

Dunno why but it made me think of what happened to cranswick's axle. I wonder if the same thing could have happened to mine?

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
So, i ran slicks on the 1/4 mile...good idea? or bad idea...14.6 seconds, good idea...broken transmission? again?...bad idea i guess...

Good news is i thought it was the transmission, but it wasn't cause the axle shaft was broken inside what mitsubishi calls the "dynamic damper" so at first look, the axle looked fine, but upon jacking, once the suspension extended fully, the true cause of the failure was revealed as the broken shaft just sorta fell out...weird thing is it looks super corroded, to the point where the diameter of the shaft was reduced...and the CV joint pooped its grease all over the place...

carnage pictures

So, i'm glad i don't have to take the transmission apart again, but at the same time, i'm still down waiting for the new axle to arrive, and i have my doubts about the longetivity of the passenger side
Old Sep 22, 2013, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
jack the front end, start the car and put it in gear...then have a good listen...also NOT with the car in gear (lol) give everything a good shake...

also, I recently threw a rod in my mower...I just finished rebuilding the motor, Friday night...I still have to put the motor back in the mower...I also have a bunch of **** to do on the outside of the house before snowfall...it never ends buddy...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Sep 22, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
boy am i glad i got a baby instead of a house this year...lol
wait...i didn't "get" it...YET..."it's in the mail"...lol
(ETA dec 6...)

anyway back to your car...
is it definetly grinding..?
or more like a groaning/creaking or clicking noise..?
or did you figure it out and/or fix it already..?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

No its definitely grinding... :/

I noticed some torque steer the other day too... Im afraid to jack it up in case what I posted above happens. Not that Ive really had time to do it anyway...

I think Im going to try to get my Eclipse running this weekend just in case. That way I'll at least have SOMETHING to drive if a shaft just falls apart... lol Shouldnt take too long. Once it's driveable, I'll jack up the RA and see what the damage looks like.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like a plan...
get the "other car" driveable and then "tear the other one down"
Old Oct 29, 2013, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
duplicate post...kink

Last edited by truthdweller; Oct 29, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nekkidlad
boy am i glad i got a baby instead of a house this year...lol
wait...i didn't "get" it...YET..."it's in the mail"...lol

Keep an eye on the "oven" too!...

Josh, did that "grind" ever reveal itself? I'm still trying to figure mine out too. You described EXACTLY what mine is doing as well.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Funny you should ask I've been meaning to post here again. My grandpa and I both took a good long look at it this weekend. And we cannot SEE anything that would be causing the noise. Nothing looks abnormal, worn, or damaged. On my way home though, and this may be unrelated but, when I turn right at times I hear a popping noise. Not everytime. But sometimes. So I'm still grinding when turning left or punching it in a straight line.

I'm starting to think it may have something to do with my tranny. I'm not sure what it would be though. However I have noticed that it doesn't always want to shift right off like it should or it will rev a bit higher than usual before shifting. Or kinda like its not going into gear like when you hit the clutch in a manual but don't go straight into the next gear.

I'm not quite sure what in an automatic could be making that sort of noise though if that's what it is....

EDIT:: I forgot to mention that the last time I changed the ATF which was just before the shootout there was quite a bit of metal shavings on the drain plug apparently its magnetic from the factory. I'm tempted to pull that plug and see if its covered in shavings again or not...

Last edited by bakuro117; Oct 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Keep an eye on the "oven" too!...
6 more weeks.....low n' slow...
hope the other 7 1/2 months wer'nt too much tho..lol

ps im not sure what would cause an ocassional popping and grinding noise like you describe either josh...but if you say it's kinda revving up a bit higher than normal sometimes your clutches may be going...
and that means rebuild o'clock..(if it is them)

how was the fluid when u changed it before the shootout..?
dark red...or black?
if it was dark red i would keep looking around for what could be causing it...
if it was black get to saving because you flushed out the floating clutch material inside the trans that was keeping it working properly...and that may be the cause of your noises...

i'd suggest you jack the car up VERY SECURELY...i'd recommend on 4 jack stands at the pinchwelds...
put it in gear and have somebody inside rev the car up to the speeds you normally hear the noise...and get a long screwdriver/prybar and hold, it on the trans case see if you can hear anything abnormal sounding as it revs and shifts(aka grinding/popping/crunching/etc)
also have them turn the wheel see if it still makes the noise, is it the struts...or engine mounts maybe..?...or anything else you haven't looked at?..heck re-look at everything you have JIC...

and dont forget to check the axles...before starting it make sure they dont have a lot of play...they should jiggle just a hair if you jerk them in/out of the trans...and if you turn the wheel/tire the outer section of the axles should turn maybe 1/4" AT MOST before the rest of the axle starts spinning

thinking back to it, did this nise thing start before or after the shootout...?

hope it helps any...
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Started well after the shootout. didn't start till a couple weeks after I met up with truth whenever that was.

Over the weekend we looked at the motor mounts. Tranny mount looked a little worn but not broken. We wiggled the wheels and found no play. I inspected the CV joints saw no leaking. Looked at suspension links struts and things saw nothing broken or wrong. We started the car and let the wheels spin while it was lifted. No noise was made. Turned the wheels put pressure on the driver side nothing would cause the noise...

I'm totally lost... I really want to throw together my eclipse just so I can put the RA in the garage and go over it with a fine tooth comb.... Lol
Old Oct 30, 2013, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

that sucks...i can't think of anything else right now...
hope you end up figuring it out...
Old Oct 30, 2013, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

me too... :/

Im going to be putting my winter wheels on soon I just replaced two of the really worn all season Kumho's I had on my stock wheels. Im going to plastidip the stock wheels black and just to play around Im going to get some white pastels and do the lettering on the tires just to see how it looks. If I like it I may do my BFG's.

Maybe while Im messing around, swapping my wheels I will notice something. IDK... its getting frustrating...

Quick Reply: Grinding Noise?