Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Borla Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla Exhaust Questions

I have read the other topics on the Borla CBE, so I have a lot of information already, but I still have a couple of questions, and reviving old threads doesn't seem to get me anywhere. As far as exhaust, I'm only planning to do a cat-back.

First, just how loud is the Borla? The problem is that "loud" is very subjective, so I've seen people say it's ear-shattering, and I've seen people say it's not too loud at all. Is there anything you could compare it to? Or perhaps say that you can hear the car coming from 1/2 mile away or something? I'm definitely looking for louder than stock or else I wouldn't even be looking at new exhausts, but at the same time, I don't want it to be SO loud that it's a huge cop-magnet, and I just look like an a-hole. I like how the stock exhaust sounds, but I find myself disappointed with it at times, and sometimes I let the RPMs go a little higher just so I can hear it at all. YouTube clips only tell so much, but that's how I've come to what I think is the decision to get the Borla. I want the deepest sound possible and pretty loud without being obnoxious. Is it possible to keep it relatively quiet with minimal throttle for driving around a development in the middle of the night?

Second, how is the drone, in all ranges? Highway cruising, cruising around in 5th gear between 40-50mph, etc? Can the drone be masked easily by music? Or will the loudness of the exhaust ruin a lot of my music?

Third, are you guys noticing any gains on the butt dyno? And does that count for low-end torque/throttle response as well? From what I've read, going with a larger diameter exhaust hurts low-end torque in a N/A car, but that's not the case with a turbo, right? I won't lose power anywhere at all? I can only gain or stay where I'm at, correct?

Thank you!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a cbe exhaust may get you 10whp on a evo 8/9/10. i dunno about a lancer
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:59 AM

When I was shopping for a used Ralliart 3 months ago, my first choice had a Borla exhaust and I am pretty sure it was strictly catback. I don't remember much from the test drive but it was tolerable to say the least, since my wife didn't mention a thing. However, I ended up test driving alone, another RA at a dealer, and this one had an unknown exhaust on it. It was very loud, and my wife HATED it!! That ended up being a custom exhaust which was practically straight pipes with a small resonator/muffler behind a High Flow Cat. After that experience I can say that most catback exhaust with any muffler to speak of will probably be tolerable to anyone who truly enjoys driving a Ralliart. I did find that custom exhaust made the car fun to drive. but like you I prefer to hear my music. I would still consider buying a proper aftermarket part like a magnaflow or borla.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Senvae
When I was shopping for a used Ralliart 3 months ago, my first choice had a Borla exhaust and I am pretty sure it was strictly catback. I don't remember much from the test drive but it was tolerable to say the least, since my wife didn't mention a thing. However, I ended up test driving alone, another RA at a dealer, and this one had an unknown exhaust on it. It was very loud, and my wife HATED it!! That ended up being a custom exhaust which was practically straight pipes with a small resonator/muffler behind a High Flow Cat. After that experience I can say that most catback exhaust with any muffler to speak of will probably be tolerable to anyone who truly enjoys driving a Ralliart. I did find that custom exhaust made the car fun to drive. but like you I prefer to hear my music. I would still consider buying a proper aftermarket part like a magnaflow or borla.
Good info! Thanks! The custom exhaust sounds like it was similar to the Borla just with a high flow cat. Just looking at the Borla, it looks like it will be loud since it only has the one mini muffler, but it also has smaller diameter tubing than most of the competitors. I really just don't want annoying drone and/or rattling (well more than the cheap plastic already rattles :P)

I'm not sure how much of a factor the cop thing is. I feel like they're going to target me anyway, driving a rotor glow RA, and if I'm doing something wrong, I'll be pulled over, loud exhaust or not.

The Magnaflow CBE is probably in second right now, but someone told me it isn't much louder than stock.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

I had a lt1 firebird with 3" straight pipe no cat no muffler and I never got a second look from cops. I doubt the borla is louder than that.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is my clip I got when I first got the Borla.

During City Driving I think its perfect. When you are hitting upper 60s on the highway + that's when you start to notice being really loud. It doesn't bother me now that I got use to it but if you sit in the back and someone never heard your exhaust at that speed... it's loud....

Overall though I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything
The following users liked this post:
RalliartDan (Jan 4, 2022)
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:11 PM

That custom exhaust I had was too loud for the wife and kids, but I had no problem with the Borla during the test drive of the orange RA I didn't get. I bought the one with the custom loud exhaust and changed it over to a stock exhaust (a trade I made with a member of this forum). But if you're concerned over sound, I do believe the Magnaflow model has a muffler, and the stats don't look too bad. I also saw some Magnaflow sound tests on youtube and it sounds bad *** without being obnoxious. In fact, I really like the stock pipes with the high flow cat. There is a nice rumble of power to be heard, but it's quiet enough to hear the awesome whistling of the turbo.

I don't mind having a mostly stock Ralliart, I bought the RA because I wanted an EVO with a softer suspension and more trunk space so I could drive in the city. If I were into racing I would go with an EVO and standard shifter. But I wanted a nice fast car to drive to work, so I got a Recaro RA with all the little gadgets.

To be honest when I want to show off and impress people, I show them my computer instead, HAH!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the info (and video) guys. My RA is my DD for my 25 mile commute each way. It's mostly highway, so I am often traveling between 60-80mph. As long as the drone isn't too bad and can be masked by music, it's not really a problem. Hopefully I can keep it down late at night too if I need by driving slowly.

There is no chance of decreased low-end torque right?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by itsmrrizz2you
Lol a evo is a lancer btw.

But im also looking into the borla so if u do get it let me know how it works out. Since ill be able to get s discount from summitracing since my friend does drag racing and gets a racer discount its either the borla or magna
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Smeghead
Lol a evo is a lancer btw.

But im also looking into the borla so if u do get it let me know how it works out. Since ill be able to get s discount from summitracing since my friend does drag racing and gets a racer discount its either the borla or magna
Okay, I'll keep you updated if I do! Oh nice. You're lucky. What kind of discount? Tryin' to rub it in our faces? :P

Those are my two options right now as well. Borla or Magnaflow. I just wish I could hear them in real life. I don't want to spend $800 to find it's too loud and/or get tickets (and maybe told to change it). PA has certain dB level laws, but I've heard of cops close to my area getting around that by writing disorderly conduct tickets for noise violation instead. Then the vehicle laws don't matter.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:34 PM

Its a pretty good discount like 200$ off i think maybe more he has to check but he got a borla for his truck that cost1500 for 900 and it sounds sick
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Evo is a Lancer the heck you smokin'
Originally Posted by itsmrrizz2you
Originally Posted by Napius
Okay, I'll keep you updated if I do! Oh nice. You're lucky. What kind of discount? Tryin' to rub it in our faces? :P

Those are my two options right now as well. Borla or Magnaflow. I just wish I could hear them in real life. I don't want to spend $800 to find it's too loud and/or get tickets (and maybe told to change it). PA has certain dB level laws, but I've heard of cops close to my area getting around that by writing disorderly conduct tickets for noise violation instead. Then the vehicle laws don't matter.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:59 PM

I have read the other topics on the Borla CBE, so I have a lot of information already, but I still have a couple of questions, and reviving old threads doesn't seem to get me anywhere. As far as exhaust, I'm only planning to do a cat-back.

First, just how loud is the Borla? The problem is that "loud" is very subjective, so I've seen people say it's ear-shattering, and I've seen people say it's not too loud at all. Is there anything you could compare it to? Or perhaps say that you can hear the car coming from 1/2 mile away or something? I'm definitely looking for louder than stock or else I wouldn't even be looking at new exhausts, but at the same time, I don't want it to be SO loud that it's a huge cop-magnet, and I just look like an a-hole. I like how the stock exhaust sounds, but I find myself disappointed with it at times, and sometimes I let the RPMs go a little higher just so I can hear it at all. YouTube clips only tell so much, but that's how I've come to what I think is the decision to get the Borla. I want the deepest sound possible and pretty loud without being obnoxious. Is it possible to keep it relatively quiet with minimal throttle for driving around a development in the middle of the night?

Second, how is the drone, in all ranges? Highway cruising, cruising around in 5th gear between 40-50mph, etc? Can the drone be masked easily by music? Or will the loudness of the exhaust ruin a lot of my music?

Third, are you guys noticing any gains on the butt dyno? And does that count for low-end torque/throttle response as well? From what I've read, going with a larger diameter exhaust hurts low-end torque in a N/A car, but that's not the case with a turbo, right? I won't lose power anywhere at all? I can only gain or stay where I'm at, correct?

Thank you!

I did my exhaust build in stages so I saw almost all the noise ranges of the Borla. The one thing that is consistent is the drone or loudness range (compared to a duller Subaru boxer exhaust setup); about 3000-3800 RPM's. The exhaust is awesome and growly but with the Ralliarts stock turbo its a bit annoying in the drone range. Immediately after the cat back I did the DP and HFC, again minimal noise drop, I finally did the X turbo upgrade that was P&P'd and the car sounds amazing. So I guess what I'm getting at is the exhaust is really good with the RA's stock turbo, but even better with everything turbo and back new. As far as power gains, you wont really see it because well 10hp gain to the flywheel is minimal once translated to the tires.(btw your turbo is the item supplying all the back pressure so no worries with the exhaust upgrade) To get more power up from stock though, either get a tactrix cable or Cobb AP and tune her up, this car has allot to offer aside from the stock tune.
cheers
Old Sep 1, 2012, 04:08 AM

Some cops are really biased against Japanese sports cars. But if you got a ticket for anything related to your exhaust when it meets the law's requirements... I would bring it to court. Maybe you should check that law and see what's legal first, and then you can make an informed decision.

I really hate cops, they disgust me. Here in Alberta Canada, it's ruled by rednecks and they all have pick-up trucks with gigantic exhaust pipes and absurd noise levels. They drive by cops and nobody does a damn thing. Yet I saw my neighbor get busted for some pipes he installed on his Camaro. They weren't even that loud.

All I have to say is fight the tickets. Half the time the cops don't even show up tot he court date which makes it an automatic win for you.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 07:00 AM

borla exhaust

I had talked with a rep. from borla, the cat-back does have some droning issues. They do have a cone shaped piece that fits inside the exhaust to help with the droning. He didn't say how much if any it affected the performance of the cb. The droning started at around 60 mph to about 75 mph.

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust Questions