Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Borla Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2012, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Senvae
Some cops are really biased against Japanese sports cars. But if you got a ticket for anything related to your exhaust when it meets the law's requirements... I would bring it to court. Maybe you should check that law and see what's legal first, and then you can make an informed decision.

I really hate cops, they disgust me. Here in Alberta Canada, it's ruled by rednecks and they all have pick-up trucks with gigantic exhaust pipes and absurd noise levels. They drive by cops and nobody does a damn thing. Yet I saw my neighbor get busted for some pipes he installed on his Camaro. They weren't even that loud.

All I have to say is fight the tickets. Half the time the cops don't even show up tot he court date which makes it an automatic win for you.
I did check the laws. There are specific dB levels that are legal, but I have no way of knowing what the dB of the Borla is.

I always fight my tickets. I've never gotten completely off, but I have had them all reduced to non-point violations.

Originally Posted by ledft
I had talked with a rep. from borla, the cat-back does have some droning issues. They do have a cone shaped piece that fits inside the exhaust to help with the droning. He didn't say how much if any it affected the performance of the cb. The droning started at around 60 mph to about 75 mph.
That's pretty cool that they recognize issues and offer a solution. I guess you have to call to get the piece? And do you just tack-weld it in somewhere?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 11:43 AM

Most stereo places probably have a db meter. I have one from radioshack (back from my db competition days lol). So you probably get a rough estimate of the sound level pretty easily. That would give you a good idea of how close to legal/over limit you are. Perhaps someone with your set-up has access to one to give a bit of a reference.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Firebuck2059
Most stereo places probably have a db meter. I have one from radioshack (back from my db competition days lol). * So you probably get a rough estimate of the sound level pretty easily. That would give you a good idea of how close to legal/over limit you are. Perhaps someone with your set-up has access to one to give a bit of a reference.
The problem is that once I buy it and install it, I can't return it, so I'd be out $800 or more likely, just drive around with an annoyingly loud exhaust, risking tickets. So far nobody with just the Borla catback seems to have dB information, so I guess they don't have a meter.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:36 AM

Just read the youtube description. If you went to a muffler shop and asked for the same setup it should not cost you any more than $500. I have a straight pipe with a few small bends in it for clearance mated up with a Flowmaster 80 series crossflow muffler.

It's just a catback; no resonators. You can hear idle, 4k, and WOT in the video. The drone on the highway is there but I always cover it up with music. It's bearable. Granted, I get on the throttle in the video. But it really isn't that loud when I drive with a really light foot.

From all the videos I've seen/heard, the two Flowmaster vids I've seen have always sounded the best IMO lol.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like it'd get me pulled over all the damn time....

Magnaflow FTW for the CA guys.
Old May 10, 2013, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Defcon5Es
Evo is a Lancer the heck you smokin'
He's smoking some good dank cause it's called Lancer Evolution