Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Question on single pump w/in-line vs. double pumper

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2008, 01:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Question on single pump w/in-line vs. double pumper

Ok, so we all know that those considering running E85 on turbos from the Green on up might run into fuel supply issues. I think I understand what would be needed for the double pumper units. Along with either a Hobbs switch (something I don't want to deal with) or making the Ted B fix to the Full Blown unit...you'll need an FPR to adjust fuel pressure at idle plus a FPR gauge.

Now, I know some recommend an inline pump. So here's my question regarding that.

Will an inline pump require an FPR? Also, does this surge tank from AMS (http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...oducts_id=1662) qualify as an inline pump set-up? If I could kill 2 birds with one stone, that would be great. I am a fueling newb and not an engineer, so if you're going to explain things make it simple like. Thanks
Old Nov 10, 2008, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check out buschars there is 500$ but require a core unit for that price and otherwise it is 650.00 and it is a direct replacement unit. if i were to go with one id stick with this.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 02:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer the Buschur Units that "Y" in the 2 pumps rather than "T" in the fuel pumps.. Seems the Buschur Units are good for more power over the Full Blown.. I personally use an External pump w/ Surge tank but you have deal with the noisy whine of the external pump but i have the peace of mind knowing i can run 1000+hp and have plenty of pump.. We have run E-85 to 525whp w/o an issue with the BR pump setup.. Later this month well push it near 600whp on a Red and see how it handles it..

Mike
Old Nov 10, 2008, 02:22 PM
Account Disabled

The thing about the double pumpers is how much more flow they can support at lower pressures. The Buschur units get away without over running the OEM FPR by not kicking in the second pump till boost hits. However with parallel pumps the flow is very high but the flow drops off very quickly when the fuel pressure increases, which it does, with boost.

If you were to add a 255 inline pump to your existing 255 in tank pump your flow at lower pressures doesen't increase so much. I mean, it does increase, but it doesen't nearly double like it does for a 255 parallel in tank setup. I'm unsure if this extra flow at idle and cruising situations will over run the FPR or require modification of the fuel pump housing "Bernoulli" setup for the surge tank. At any rate, with the 255 inline you can sustain really good flow at very high fuel pressures, IE: high boost pressures. It just so happens that great flow at high pressures is what most people want.

Now, with that said, the series 255HP setup doesen't overcome the flow of the parallel 255HP setup until 100psi and over. So if your base pressure is 43psi, you have a 10psi pressure drop from the tank to the injectors, and you run more than 47 pounds of boost the series setup may be for you. However if your running 47 pounds of boost, walbros won't be doing the trick for you. Your looking at a weldon..........
Old Nov 10, 2008, 02:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
So, the surge tank in-line with the AMS set-up would work with an E85 set-up? If I can add an inline pump without the need for an FPR that would be ideal. I live in California after all, so stealth is king. How loud is an inline Walbro? How much more noise into the cabin?

Would the surge tank need to be anodized like the FB twin pump set-up because of the E85 fuel?

BTW, this would be for a 2.3+ stroker & Red probably around 28-30psi. Thanks.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Nov 10, 2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
So, the surge tank in-line with the AMS set-up would work with an E85 set-up? If I can add an inline pump without the need for an FPR that would be ideal. I live in California after all, so stealth is king. How loud is an inline Walbro? How much more noise into the cabin?

Would the surge tank need to be anodized like the FB twin pump set-up because of the E85 fuel?

BTW, this would be for a 2.3+ stroker & Red probably around 28-30psi. Thanks.
I have never used AMS Fuel setup to comment..

E-85 is not corrosive, i run an aluminum surge tank w/o coating and no issues..
Old Nov 10, 2008, 07:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
An inline pump addition flows only slightly better than a single pump. If you think you need more than a single Walbro, a double pumper is the way to go.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

I also run an external pump inline to the in tank walbro. Before I bought the Hobb switch, the whine was very annoying but since installing the switch it kicks in at 4psi and I never here the second pump ever.

I bought the Hobb switch from ebay with a preset boost setting and it has worked great.