Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

US Govt possibly restarting an ethanol agenda

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 07:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
US Govt possibly restarting an ethanol agenda

I got this from a weekly review of energy-related news that I receive at work (Note that this far from becoming a law, but its encouraging news):

Text of bill

Summary of bill
Legislation introduced this week in the Senate would create a system of supports to build up the nation's renewable fuel infrastructure and roll out gasoline that contains higher amounts of ethanol.

The bill would create a $1 billion grant program for the installation of ethanol pumps at gas stations, require the Department of Energy to issue new regulations that compel fuel distributors to install at least one ethanol pump at half their gas stations by 2022, and create a loan guarantee program to fund renewable fuel pipelines.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While that's great for people wanting to make power in Fi applications, it's bad for just about everyone else. Waste of money IMO
Old Oct 8, 2013, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its not a waste of money getting off the OPEC teet.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How is investing in a renewable resource a waste of money? Keep in mind that Ethanol isn't only for making more power in turbo charged vehicles. It's a renewable, cheaper option for replacing fossil fuels. That's like saying researching electric motors is a waste of money. R&D is expensive and has to start somewhere. Personally, I think E85 has come a long way. I've run it in all my cars for the past 5 years.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 09:07 AM
EvoM Guru

+1 for SmurfZilla and wazzelby. as much as i love e85 for my evo, i believe in ethanol because it would free us from opec, and it is a true renewable. win win.

Last edited by mrfred; Oct 9, 2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
But we use a food source to make fuel....

It would be better to invest in more efficient ethanol production methods first.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Oct 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 09:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
But we use a food source to make fuel....

It would be betyter to invest in more efficient ethanol production methods first.
Yeah, its a tough balance, but there is already some ethanol production research. The reason I see this information about possible govt action on ethanol that some ethanol production research is done where I work. Requiring ethanol at the pumps should help spur even more research.

Last edited by mrfred; Oct 9, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We dont use a food source... When was the last time your ate the cane of sugar cane? Or the test crops of pioneer? A huge portion of american corn produced each year isnt for eating but rather for research into crops that immune to bugs or pesticides... And even though ethanol is referred to as corn alcohol its far from the only source...

Also in the last month... I have eaten corn 2 times... Corn is fuel for my car not for my belly...
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph143
We dont use a food source... When was the last time your ate the cane of sugar cane? Or the test crops of pioneer? A huge portion of american corn produced each year isnt for eating but rather for research into crops that immune to bugs or pesticides... And even though ethanol is referred to as corn alcohol its far from the only source...

Also in the last month... I have eaten corn 2 times... Corn is fuel for my car not for my belly...
Dumbest statement on the internet ever.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Not that wiki is the best source, but if a fuel takes damn near the same energy to produce it as it provides, that is not an ROI that i would invest a billion dollars on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_energy_balance
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph143

Did you eat any food made from animals???
Because a lot of animals we raise as a nation eat corn. Corn is also used in LOTS of stuff, just because you didn't eat it off the cob doesn't mean you haven't eaten corn more than 2 times in the last month.

Brazil uses sugar cane, but I don't think it's a major source of ethanol in the US as it's too cold.

There are some methods that look like they could prove effficient but it's not corn using the current methods.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Oct 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Did you eat any food made from animals???
Because a lot of animals we raise as a nation eat corn. Corn is also used in LOTS of stuff, just because you didn't eat it off the cob doesn't mean you haven't eaten corn more than 2 times in the last month.

Brazil uses sugar cane, but I don't think it's a major source of ethanol in the US as it's too cold.

There are some methods that look like they could prove effficient but it's not corn using the current methods.
Right, high fructose corn syrup is in damn near every processed food out there.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It needs to be more efficient. Brazil has got it down but here in the U.S. and a mostly non tropical climate the Corn we use is not as efficient. I would love however to have E85 in my Evo. That would make my decade.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think its been proven that the part of the corn stalk they use is NOT for human consumption so the argument against Ethanol production under that slant is a myth.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ak47po
Dumbest statement on the internet ever.
I literally grew up in the middle of a corn field... I detassled corn every summer... Many of my good friends from school are now growers for pioneer... I know **** about corn you would never even dream about...

The belly comment was a joke.

Also shell gas stations source their ethanol from brazil... From sugar cane... A very small percentage of corn is currently used in ethanol production...

I cant recall if it was gasoline or ethanol but recently a bio company developed a bacteria that released one or the other as a byproduct of their metabolism

Thank you smurf for injecting some intellect back into the conversation... ****in kids these days man... I miss 06 when we literally had rocket scientists helping out on here...

Quick Reply: US Govt possibly restarting an ethanol agenda