Notices
ECU Flash

Apexi drop-in filter?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Apexi drop-in filter?

Hey guys, I figured I would ask this in here, since I got 0 replies in the turbo/drivetrain forum.

I will eventually get the Apexi power intake cone filter once I have some time to build a proper cold air box for it that would allow the use of the factory snorkel, but in the meantime, while I am still being lazy, I figured I would give a drop-in a shot with a modified airbox. Whether I keep it or not, it will be good for data's sake to compare to the stock setup.

I've been searching for a good dry-type drop-in, similar to how the Apexi cone filter is. I don't really want to use a K&N or Works, etc. Anyway, I found that Apexi makes a dry-type drop-in and they actually call it a power intake, which is the same name as their cone filter that performs so well.

Here is the thread that I started: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=277007

Does anyone have any info on this filter? I would like to give it a try if it is truly a drop-in form of the cone filter, meaning same materials, etc. If it is just a normal paper filter like stock, then I don't want to bother.

Thanks,
Eric
Old Jun 17, 2007, 03:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I have yet to see that apexi drop in filter. However, I have tuned a couple cars with the Apexi cone filter and the apexi adapter and it can and will throw off the MAF readings.

The direct bolt on cone filters with velocity stacks do not from what I have seen. You can also get these really cheap on Ebay (approx $30 shipped)

HKS makes a dry-style drop in filter as well.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
HKS makes a dry-style drop in filter as well.
This is what I use. I like it, but have no data to share.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
The direct bolt on cone filters with velocity stacks do not from what I have seen. You can also get these really cheap on Ebay (approx $30 shipped)
Could you post a link the the filters with velocity stack from ebay?

I found this Apexi filter kit w/box.

http://www.hopupracing.com/apinkitalinb.html

What is your experience with this? Would it improve airflow and hence power on a car with a TBE like mine?

Last edited by nj1266; Jun 17, 2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had apexi cone filter and buschur filter! I think the buschur filter was way easier to install and the car felt better!!! and buschur is cheaper!!!
Old Jun 17, 2007, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

...However, I have tuned a couple cars with the Apexi cone filter and the apexi adapter and it can and will throw off the MAF readings.

I have yet to personally tune an Apexi cone, but it does have a velocity stack, unless one of us is thinking of something else. That is one of the main reasons why I like the Apexi cone filter.

When I do go with a cone, it will be the Apexi, simply from the filtration tests that I have seen and because of the design. If it does mess up the MAF, which I think should be minimal because of the velocity stack (although your experiences are otherwise), I don't think I will have any problem tuning it with the MAF scaling, etc.

Thanks for sharing, though. I appreciate it.

I would still like to find someone that has used this drop-in, but I don't think I will have any luck here. It looks like it is only distributed in Japan.

Eric
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
I have yet to personally tune an Apexi cone, but it does have a velocity stack, unless one of us is thinking of something else. That is one of the main reasons why I like the Apexi cone filter.

When I do go with a cone, it will be the Apexi, simply from the filtration tests that I have seen and because of the design. If it does mess up the MAF, which I think should be minimal because of the velocity stack (although your experiences are otherwise), I don't think I will have any problem tuning it with the MAF scaling, etc.

Thanks for sharing, though. I appreciate it.

I would still like to find someone that has used this drop-in, but I don't think I will have any luck here. It looks like it is only distributed in Japan.

Eric
The Apexi has a faux velocity stack, it has the indention that looks like it from photos but that is just a plastic "pyramid" that goes into the filter body but has no air opening, air only comes in through the filter sides. The BR filter and the Ebay one has actual filter element in the velocity stack so air comes in the sides and in the top through the stack. I'm not sure if this an actual real velocity stack in the engineering sense but that is what I have seen it been called so it just stuck with me.

The apexi cone filter also uses a MAF to filter adapter plate. The BR and Ebay do not. Direct bolt on to the MAF. I have all three filters in my garage.

Nj1266- I can't remember ebay link policy here so you have PM!
Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

The Apexi has a faux velocity stack, it has the indention that looks like it from photos but that is just a plastic "pyramid" that goes into the filter body but has no air opening, air only comes in through the filter sides. The BR filter and the Ebay one has actual filter element in the velocity stack so air comes in the sides and in the top through the stack. I'm not sure if this an actual real velocity stack in the engineering sense but that is what I have seen it been called so it just stuck with me.
If there is an opening on the top, then there is no velocity stack. The velocity stack is a shape the simply helps funnel the airflow to eliminate dead spots and eddies that may disrupt the aiflow. That is what that inverted plastic cone in the Apexi filter is.

If there is an opening at the top, where the velocity stack may be, then there is still a 'shape' of a velocity stack, but the opening basically eliminates the functioning and purpose of the shape in the first place, since air is allowed to enter and disrupt the flow from the sides.

So, the Buschur, ebay, etc, do not have velocity stacks, in the true engineering sense.

By no means am I saying the Buschur filter isn't good or the Apexi is....as I mentioned, I haven't used either yet. But, by pure engineering design and the testing that I have seen, I would go with Apexi.

Also, we have to remember, that filtration is very important, too. Apexi outperformed other top filters by a lot in the test that I have seen. I am referring to this article:

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Eric
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:07 AM
EvoM Guru

l2r99gst, thanks for the clarification. I am by no means an engineer so I really appreciate it.

Ok, so it seems like the faux velocity stack filters actually work well and don't disrupt the MAF readings. However, both those (BR and ebay) also bolt directly onto the MAF with no adapters.

It is probably some of the adapters that are screwing with the air and thus messing with the MAF readings.

Also the BR and Ebay seem to have more surface area as far as the filter element is concerned and are a bit larger filter overall.

Both the BR and Ebay have the same type of filter element (mesh type) as the Apexi which scored at the top in that filtration test you linked.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Both the BR and Ebay have the same type of filter element (mesh type) as the Apexi which scored at the top in that filtration test you linked.

This is one of the things that I was wondering. A lot of companies try to copy each other, but do the Bushcur and Ebay filters actually have the same filtering material or just similar?

I guess we will never know for sure unless tests were performed on all three.

Either way, I appreciate your input and your test that show the Bushcur filter works well. If I ever get a chance, I may test both the Apexi and the Bushcur myself as well.

Thanks,
Eric
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Personally I would get the Ebay as its pretty much the exact same thing as the old style BR and 1/4 of the price. The only changes to the new BR are the white filter element and rounded edges of the top piece, the base, overall design and faux velocity stack is exactly the same. I would not be suprised if both ebay and BR get them from the same supplier.

As far as filter material, I do know they have the same filter style (dry mesh) compared to the other filters in that test, (metal mesh, wet-mesh, foam, whatever)

I own all three filters.

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 18, 2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

As far as filter material, I do know they have the same filter style (dry mesh) compared to the other filters in that test, (metal mesh, wet-mesh, foam, whatever)

I own all three filters.
I know they are all dry-type, but that isn't exactly what I mean. I meant the same exact processing and manufacturing to make the filters and whether they are cotton, how many layers, layering/fabrication process, etc.

For example, our stock filter is a dry-type paper element. The Apexi supposedly is a dry-type cotton element, layered in certain ways, etc. But, even if the Ebay and Bushcur are dry-type cotton elements, it doesn't necessary mean that they will filter and perform the way the Apexi does.

That's what I meant by 'are they exactly the same'. Sometimes, I don't explain myself properly.

Eric
Old Jun 18, 2007, 01:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Eric, I totally agree, just stating they had the same style (Dry-mesh).
Old Jun 18, 2007, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nj1266
Could you post a link the the filters with velocity stack from ebay?

I found this Apexi filter kit w/box.

http://www.hopupracing.com/apinkitalinb.html

What is your experience with this? Would it improve airflow and hence power on a car with a TBE like mine?
Here's the guy i got mine from. $17 shipped.
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/autobacs1/
Old Jun 18, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mplspilot
Here's the guy i got mine from. $17 shipped.
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/autobacs1/

Are you talking about this filter:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ECLIP...QQcmdZViewItem

If so, it appears to be the same as the Buschur filter, like Bryan mentioned. Is this a dry-type filter...I don't see that mentioned.

Although, as I mentioned above, having an opening at the top somewhat defeats the purpose of a velocity stack. Also, a very important part of a velocity stack is the bend and shape coming into the pipe at the OD, which we can't see with this filter. The inverted cone on top is only half of the equation when designing the velocity stack.

Overall it may work well, as Bryan has also stated. For $7, it may be worth a shot.

I'm still stubborn, though, and will eventually get the Apexi and build my own cold airbox. I think I did the math before, but an increase in intake air temp of 25* is equivalent of a restriction that causes 1 psi of pressure drop. So, it may not help as much as you would like to simply upgrade to a cone, without blocking the hot air in the engine bay or using the snorkel to feed in cooler air.

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jun 18, 2007 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Apexi drop-in filter?