Notices
ECU Flash

Patch: Force OBD Inspection Pass (acamus, mrfred)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 07:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
Who's going to be first to successfully pass a CA OBD-II only test (no sniff) using the settings I posted?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:31 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by cdrinkh2o
Who's going to be first to successfully pass a CA OBD-II only test (no sniff) using the settings I posted?
I'm gonna try as soon as they start doing.it!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new owner

I met a guy last night that just purchased his evo ix in so cal. He said when he smogged it the place was straight obd2 testing.

I'm just worried about my check engine lights on the car. I'm wondering if I should try to disable the routine to check them or if that would just flag the car to fail.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 08:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by hearnoevo
I met a guy last night that just purchased his evo ix in so cal. He said when he smogged it the place was straight obd2 testing.

I'm just worried about my check engine lights on the car. I'm wondering if I should try to disable the routine to check them or if that would just flag the car to fail.
That is interesting about the OBD-II only smog test. It's the first I have heard of in CA. If anyone else experiences one, ask lots of questions and share the knowledge with the community. The keys here are any changes to the OBD-II only testing equipment, the procedure used to probe your ECU for ROM ID, and the creation of a database that allows a comparison to be made between your VIN and the expected ROM ID for your evo. It is possible that the OBD-II only test could fail you because you have (illegally) loaded a different ROM into your ECU.

BTW - If you have a CEL it is an automatic fail. Read them with Evoscan, fix the root cause, clear them all, and then set the correct flags as described in post #290 in this thread to pass the OBD-II scans. Make sure you are catted (with a living cat!) in closed loop and fuel trims are not maxed out to pass the sniff test.

Last edited by CDrinkH2O; Oct 13, 2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

smog

According to my smog guy, any cars 2000 and newer have to go through the obd2 test in california now.

If I shut off the routine that checks for the check engine light, would that be an instant fail? I'm just trying to figure out how to make the check engine light go off and stay off since I think one of my codes I have is the notorious p0300 which a lot of evo guys have.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 07:06 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by hearnoevo
According to my smog guy, any cars 2000 and newer have to go through the obd2 test in california now.

If I shut off the routine that checks for the check engine light, would that be an instant fail? I'm just trying to figure out how to make the check engine light go off and stay off since I think one of my codes I have is the notorious p0300 which a lot of evo guys have.
Read the post right above yours.

I just smogged a month ago. They checked for codes and hooked up to be sure the parameters have been met. They also ran the sniffer.
I can load my stock ROM again and pass, no problem. But I would love to pass with the modded ROM so I don't have to swap any parts.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

thanks to all who developed this. ny said yes to me today
Old Oct 25, 2014, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

scantech

For those that have used the posted settings and passed the obd2 test, can you post a screen shot of your readiness monitors on scantech so I can see if ours match?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 09:46 AM
kaj

So still nobody passed a Kalifornia OBD-II only test?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
So still nobody passed a Kalifornia OBD-II only test?

It looks like you are up Kaj! Let us know how it goes.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:02 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by cdrinkh2o
It looks like you are up Kaj! Let us know how it goes.

All the shops here still do the sniffer.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone have an updated link or copy of the video from the original post? That link no longer works and I am overdue on smog by over a year.

I just got my Tactrix cable and am currently stuck in the beginning. After I hook my car up and the computer 'Reads from ECU,' I am pretty lost.

ECU: 94170008

Thanks.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just passed the new obd-II only test here in CA, at a star certified station no less, with a fully built 2.4l engine, port and polished head, 272 cams, 1000cc injectors, walbro fuel pump custom ecuflash tune from FFTec and the Teprah MOD setup to autopass all the tests the car is supposed to pass. Tech thought it was stock and I didn't correct him.

Going to be selling my car so needed a new smog; being in Fresno and seeing Kaj's post I expected the sniffer test as well but it looks like at least one smog shop is doing the new test now. Didn't ask too many questions as I didn't know they did the new test until after it happened. FWIW on my current tune with the stock exhaust the car passes the sniffer test as well.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 06:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by FresnoEVO
Just passed the new obd-II only test here in CA, at a star certified station no less, with a fully built 2.4l engine, port and polished head, 272 cams, 1000cc injectors, walbro fuel pump custom ecuflash tune from FFTec and the Teprah MOD setup to autopass all the tests the car is supposed to pass. Tech thought it was stock and I didn't correct him.

Going to be selling my car so needed a new smog; being in Fresno and seeing Kaj's post I expected the sniffer test as well but it looks like at least one smog shop is doing the new test now. Didn't ask too many questions as I didn't know they did the new test until after it happened. FWIW on my current tune with the stock exhaust the car passes the sniffer test as well.
Thanks for sharing. What ROM ID is in your ROM? In other words did it pass with a non-standard ROM? If so that means CARB are not comparing the read ROM ID to the expected ROM based on your VIN. That would be good news indeed for the rest of us who are running non-standard ROMs.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

smog

You must not have had any check engine lights on then correct? Or did you use the patches to avoid the light from turning on? Were you running the stock cat?

Quick Reply: Patch: Force OBD Inspection Pass (acamus, mrfred)