Fuel pressure spike, lean AFR's, miss/stutter

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Fuel pressure spike, lean AFR's, miss/stutter

Mods: 2.3L, hks 272's, FP black, walbro 255, FIC1450's, SD

03 Evo running 9653 tephra SD rom

I bought the car with the mods and tuned for 24lbs on E85. When I first bought it it ran good, started exceptionally well cold/hot (barely a crank and it fired right up). I did the headgasket on it and while doing the headgasket I decided to enable the launch maps as they were shut off when I bought it. Long story short something in my ecuflash folders was corrupt and required me to completely wipe all ecuflash/evoscan documents from my computer and start completely fresh. I managed to save the original ROM i pulled from the car prior to flashing launch maps on, and had to copy and paste each and every table into a new 9653 base ROM in an attempt to keep my old tune. I'm not sure that I have the original file anymore though.

After flashing the new copied ROM onto the computer the car would start perfectly when dead cold, however, any warm starts required me to put my foot slightly on the gas to fire up nicely. It also now goes into what seems to be an enrichment period where it will dip the AFR's into the 10's for a few seconds and slowly work it's way back to my target 14.7 idle AFR. During that time the car is undriveable and will peg lean on the wideband if you try to drive it (roughly 3-5 minutes after startup)

My next issue is that we're out of E85 at the only pump within 50 miles of me, so I was setting the car up for a 91 alternate map, since I wanted a backup anyways. I transfered my main map fuel/timing tables over as a base (no boost) start, and then rescaled my 1450's to 1329 to get a baseline to start dialing them in from (latency were left alone). Now that I have a tank of 91 in I'm having a rather rough idle and decel at any RPM less than 2000, it will seem to miss from 1800-1100 on decel and then clear up as it approaches my 1000 target idle. Accel above 1500 runs nice and smooth until 2900-3k where my fuel pressure will spike from ~45psi to 51psi. What's weird is that it'll stutter when this occurs and will go lean (17's) and then dip back to the 14s. If I try to stay steady at 3k it will stutter along. If I get above 3200 it'll clear out completely and go back to a nice smooth cruise. From my understanding the pressure jump is from the computer switching from low voltage to hi. I'm generally around -10/-11in/hg when this occurs which didn't seem like a high enough load for the computer to switch, and I can't for the life of me find a table that can adjust this.

I've searched around but all the threads I'm finding are a few years old and the information is extremely out of date. Tables have different names and definitions have been updated, so I'm trying not to use the information in them as I'm not sure what to trust. I'd post a log, however, my wideband isn't tied into the computer, so I don't see it being much of a benefit. I feel as though when I flashed the car the first time I didn't have all the tables the tuner had and in copying/pasting into my new ROM I wasn't able to transfer certain tuned portions of the old ROM. Anyone have any input?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 08:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
the fuel pressure spike is most likely the pump being kicked into full voltage mode. look for a thread started by me on fuel pump voltage. there should be a 9653 def in it. with that said, its not obvious to me that a 6 psi spike is the cause of your issue. +6 psi on top of 43 psi base doesn't cause that much more fuel to flow.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I saw your thread, just wasn't sure if it was up to date since there were a few updated definitions in it. I'll add that in, I figured having the newest tephra update would incorporate all the updated tables.

I'm assuming you're correct on it kicking in high voltage, but it seems to be the erratic spike that's causing my miss. I was dialing my injectors in more last night and determined that the spike occurs as I hit -10in/hg. I will be cruising along at a normal rate and even if I'm very lightly into the throttle it will jump from 43-45 up to 51-52 instantly as I hit -10in/hg. I get a very severe stutter and my wideband goes instantly leaner, which I find odd as it's bumping pressure up so rapidly. If I cruise right at/around -10in/hg the pressure will just erratically jump up and down over and over and the cars virtually undriveable at that load. From what I can remember the car wasn't this erratic on E85.

I have a nasty lean condition on throttle tip in, which wasn't there on E85 as well. I'd gladly post a log for anyone willing to take a look and see, as well as my ROM. I'm just not sure what all would need logged to help? Maybe it's something I'm just overlooking. I haven't been using ecuflash for almost 4 years, so it's been a good learning curve getting back into it.