Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

New virtual dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New virtual dyno numbers

After the nightmare dealing with MAP, the car is finally running strong, although on a stock turbo. Still getting used to the car again after not having it for 9 months, so I'm waiting a while before I buy another turbo. I'll be going with a BBK Full ball bearing when the time comes.

I finally put EVOSCAN, ECUFLASH, and VD on my new laptop so I went out and did a few pulls. They all came out pretty consistent.

Last edited by ODUB; Dec 10, 2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:09 AM
Evolving Member

nice what fuel was this on?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ct9a pr
nice what fuel was this on?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
great for 93 octane. if you're going to spend the money for a bbk-bb, i suggest considering the B. its got almost the same transient response as the Full but can make maybe 30-40 whp more power. talk with chad.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
great for 93 octane. if you're going to spend the money for a bbk-bb, i suggest considering the B. its got almost the same transient response as the Full but can make maybe 30-40 whp more power. talk with chad.
I'll look into it when the time comes. I'm not entirely happy with the suspension right now, so I need to get that sorted out first, then start racing again to get used to the car the way it is. Then I'll look into upgrading the turbo if I don't end up selling the car for something else.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not familiar with your car. What's the mod story?

IX, stock turbo, 93 I know. I'm guessing full bolt ons? Cams? I'd love to make that kind of power on 93. How much boost are you running?

Last edited by aggieEVO; Dec 15, 2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aggieEVO
I'm not familiar with your car. What's the mod story?

IX, stock turbo, 93 I know. I'm guessing full bolt ons? Cams? I'd love to make that kind of power on 93. How much boost are you running?
The mod story is a complicated one. Get some popcorn haha. I bought the car used from a member on this site that pretty much lied about the condition of the vehicle, and I found that out pretty much immediately. I bought it with 60k miles on the clock. I was told that it had the 60k maintenance done, all fluid flushes done on time or early, and everything was good to go except the timing belt. Well I always do a full fluid flush when I buy a car as soon as I have a free day. So 3 days after I got it home I crack open the oil pan, probably the dirtiest oil I've ever seen in a car comes pouring out. Then I crack open the transmission, and it's as black as the oil was. Now, this was my 3rd EVO at this point, and on my first car I actually did change the fluids early, so I know what they SHOULD have looked like. Even with 20k miles on the tranny fluid it still always looked new. This looked like it had never been changed since the car was rolled off the lot. That's when I started getting worried.

So I took the car to KevinD at Evolution Dynamics (he's done all my work since my first EVO), and had him do a full flush on the rest of fluids, new timing belt, water pump, throttle body shaft seals, pull/clean/refresh the head, inspect the block, new head gasket, a few other preventative maintenance items, and a couple lightweight mods, and a tune.

I drove the car like that until I got the rest of the mods together, then had him again do a full fluid flush, installed the rest of the mods, a TRE transmission, new clutch, and a new tune. The transmission made me nervous, and clutch the previous owner decided to put in the car was trash, so I just replaced it all. At this point I figured everything that could fail had already been replaced except the block. The car was putting out around 375-380whp on VD at the time. I was good with it like that. Wellllllll whatever the previous owner put the car through finally caught up with me, and the block finally went so I had to rebuild. This is where it gets funny, and by funny I mean god awful.

I shipped the car out to Kevin and he was able to get started on it almost immediately. The entire rebuild was supposed to take at max 4 months because the machine shop was backed up, and my car wasn't exactly in his plans, he just took it short notice, so for that I was grateful. Well while it was down, I decided to upgrade the turbo because rebuilding the stocker was only a couple hundred cheaper. I wanted an FP Green but the wait on FP turbos was 3 months or more at the time, so I went with the MAP EF2.5...biggest modification mistake I've ever made in my life.

Kevin got the car at the end of January, and at the beginning of May I went to pick the car up. It put down 425whp with the EF2.5 which seemed a lot lower than I thought, but whatever, it was running, and still faster than before. But my happiness was short lived. 250 miles into the 450 mile trip back home the turbo self destructed. Because of that, I stopped at a walmart, got some tools, pulled stuff out, and off, and was down for a couple hours trying to see if I could find anything visually wrong, and couldn't find anything. Well, I was able to limp the car back home, but ended up driving all night long, got no sleep, and had to go straight to work when I got back. Well about a week later Kevin showed up with a trailer, and brought the car back to his shop, and began the process of trying to figure out what happened.

Well, at this point, MAP was actually really awesome about the whole thing. They got me a new turbo shipped out in less than a week. Kevin installed the new turbo, checked out the whole motor to make sure there was no damage, and dyno tuned it. The plan was to put some miles on it to make sure it held up. The turbo didn't make much more power, and was really laggy. After about 300 miles, it also self destructed. This is where the fun started. Now this was around mid-May, beginning of June. MAP spent the next 4-5 months trying to find any reason they could to either do nothing at all, or blame Kevin for the turbos falling apart. They mostly just tried to ignore us, and emails completely. Kevin did a great job of immediately sending them everything they asked for as far as parts, pics, everything. Then they just sat on it all, and were complete dicks any time I tried to find out when we might know something one way or another. It was a nightmare. Then these arrogant jackwagons tried to get stupid on this forum with me, and post "We have some very interesting news about your turbo, Kevin will be in touch." They phrased it that way because after only 5 months of having everything but the car itself, they had FINALLY been able to diagnose the problem from ONE turbo failure that should have taken a day at most.

The issue was the orifice in the banjo bolt on the oil feed line was too small, and it was starving the turbo. So they called Kevin to tell him that it was an oiling issue because of the oil feed line so they weren't going to warranty the turbo, and just leave me screwed. Then Kevin was like, "Oh, you mean the oil feed line that you guys sent us with the turbo?" Then MAP tried their best to find the equipment necessary to pull their collective feet out of their mouths. Then even after all of this mess was 100% their fault, they tried to screw me out of part of my refund, then they FINALLY gave me my money back.

Thankfully, in the meantime Kevin happened to have another stock IX turbo just laying around and offered to throw it on the car just to get it running, and get it back to me because we had no clue how much longer MAP would drag this nonsense out. So the moral of the story is that even though over 95% of the purchases I have made for all three of my EVO's have come from MAP, I will do my best to never do business with them ever again for any reason after this debacle.

That's the whole mod story. As for the current state of the car, the mods are listed below.

Engine:
Evolution Dynamics stage 1 built 2.0 good for like 600whp should I want to try (but I don't)
ETS Upper IC pipe
ETS Lower IC pipe
ETS Intake
ETS 3" intercooler
Synapse DV
Sparktech non-CDI COP
Grimmspeed 3 port BCS
FIC 780 injectors
Walbro 255
Ported stock turbo manifold
Megan O2 housing
Megan 3" DP
HKS Carbon Ti exhaust
EGR delete
Tuned by Kevin. Not sure what the current boost is. I didn't ask because this setup was never meant to be permanent.

I think that's everything engine related.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Hate to read about all your troubles but I'm happy you have a running car now. Do you think you'll try for another stock frame turbo? There are some other good alternatives, or just calling it a day?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
Hate to read about all your troubles but I'm happy you have a running car now. Do you think you'll try for another stock frame turbo? There are some other good alternatives, or just calling it a day?
Yeah, eventually. While the EVO was down I bought a Honda S2000 to drive because it was cheaper than renting a car. I had only planned to drive the car for a few months, but ended up being stuck in it for over 9 months thanks to MAP screwing around. Now I'm still getting used to the EVO again. I'm going to keep it the way it is now until I get a few autocrosses under my belt again and get back to where I can reach the cars limits like I used to, otherwise there's no point in raising those limits. Once I get to that point I'm going with a BBK Full Ball bearing turbo. The turbo I should have gotten in the first place. I may also look at doing GSC S2 cams, but I'll have to see. I'm still worried about the transmission becoming an issue if I go too crazy with power. I'm hoping the rumors are true that Shep are planning to release another round of upgraded 6 speeds.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like you might be running a bit too rich according to the wideband. This can usually rob some power. I would lean it out to th 11.5-11.1 area for 93 octane at WOT. You will pick up some tq and hp with that and the car will pull cleaner.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by desiromeo812
Seems like you might be running a bit too rich according to the wideband. This can usually rob some power. I would lean it out to th 11.5-11.1 area for 93 octane at WOT. You will pick up some tq and hp with that and the car will pull cleaner.

I don't have a wideband, or a way to log boost, so whatever that bottom chart is based on, it's wrong haha. I'm not sure how the car is tuned, because as I said it was never meant to be permanent. There is likely more power to be made, but as far as smoothness, and driveability, this is actually the smoothest driving, and accelerating EVO I've ever driven. My others were pretty smooth after the tunes, but they were never as good as this one. The graphs were never this smooth either. The graphs on smoothing 3-4 looked like this car on smoothing 1 on my other cars. Even if those numbers were accurate though, it's showing the AFR at 10.5 for the entire WOT pull.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think I read all that drama at some point. Sounds like you're really enjoying the car.

Kevin seems to do great work, I always hear good things.

You should get the wideband and MAP sensors hooked up to log. It's very easy to do and will give you some safety.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 07:52 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
awesome numbers! i know guys making that or maybe a bit more on e85. i'm really impressed with the numbers i see on 93.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aggieEVO
I think I read all that drama at some point. Sounds like you're really enjoying the car.

Kevin seems to do great work, I always hear good things.

You should get the wideband and MAP sensors hooked up to log. It's very easy to do and will give you some safety.
Yeah, I'm just glad it's FINALLY over with. If MAP had spent half the time they spent trying to find a reason NOT to warranty the turbos that they broke, on figuring out why they broke in the first place, it would have been over months sooner. Kevin was awesome through the entire ordeal though. I've been going to Kevin since he was working out of his 1.5 car garage while being threatened by his neighbors for having 10 EVO's in his yard at all times Even before this mess, but especially after, I can't see ever taking my car to anyone else. I've seen the nightmares people have with other shops just to have routine work done, but even when a vendor created a nightmare Kevin did his best to get it all handled and not add to the melee.

As for the wideband, and MAP sensors, I'm looking at that for the next visit to Kevin when it's time to do the timing belt, and fluids again. Since it's such a haul for me, I try to make a list of all the things I may need done, and preventative things that I may need in the future and get them all done at once. That's penciled in for the next trip.

Originally Posted by kaj
awesome numbers! i know guys making that or maybe a bit more on e85. i'm really impressed with the numbers i see on 93.
Thanks man. I want to run some logs again when it's colder to see if I pick up any extra power, but it just won't seem to get cold and stay cold. Which honestly is awesome because I hate cold, but I wouldn't mind like an hour of 35 degree weather just so I can get some good logs haha
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:37 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
You should my my ef2.5.

LOL

Quick Reply: New virtual dyno numbers