Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

BBK Full, SD, Stock Mani, Cosworth Cams, Stock Bottom End, etc on 93

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jheff
Well to me this is good news. If i can find another tune that should mean i have a lot more power to be had! I was thinking of getting new manifolds but if I just need to find a new tuner I am happy to stay on a stock manifolds for another couple months.
Yeah you should have alot left on the table, I made very good numbers with a little boost and few degrees to play with. I only changed manifolds to really push the bbk full and see what I could get out of it. Stock manifolds aren't hurting anything. I love the turbo, it spools damn close to stock and will make more than enough power for the street! Everyone that rides in my car are most surprised by how responsive the turbo is compared to how hard it pulls lol.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 05:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Check for the exhaust rubbing on the oil pan or cross member, any of the intercooler pipes rubbing something metal, etc..

False knock can also just be "noise" from inside the engine that your tuner doesn't know enough to know what's normal, and what isn't.

Judging by the fact you went with him due to "pricing" tuning isn't something you want to cheap out on. If you take the car to CBRD, they can do thorough and good job of looking the car over, and tune it correctly for you.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by josh_evo9
Yeah you should have alot left on the table, I made very good numbers with a little boost and few degrees to play with. I only changed manifolds to really push the bbk full and see what I could get out of it. Stock manifolds aren't hurting anything. I love the turbo, it spools damn close to stock and will make more than enough power for the street! Everyone that rides in my car are most surprised by how responsive the turbo is compared to how hard it pulls lol.
I am totally for the turbo, and I would like to push the most out of the turbo and aftermarkets are really attractive to me. I have not seen anyone talk about the downsides of upgrading manifolds other than the possibility of changing the location of the turbo

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Check for the exhaust rubbing on the oil pan or cross member, any of the intercooler pipes rubbing something metal, etc..

False knock can also just be "noise" from inside the engine that your tuner doesn't know enough to know what's normal, and what isn't.

Judging by the fact you went with him due to "pricing" tuning isn't something you want to cheap out on. If you take the car to CBRD, they can do thorough and good job of looking the car over, and tune it correctly for you.
I went with him because I figured out that the car was on an e85 tune on pump gas because the man i bought it from did not set up the map correctly at all and i NEEDED to get the car running right since it was dropping fuel pressure (all good now). I will spend as much money on tuning as necessary but that every time i need a re-tune its another $350 dollars (even just to fix issues) i dont want to go with him anymore. I will probably take the car there since I have hear nothing but good about them.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 05:34 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I made 333whp on a IX with only Greddy 264 cams, a TBE, and manual boost controller. This was on 91oct @ 25psi, I believe. You should be doing much better.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 05:35 PM
kaj

I am totally for the turbo, and I would like to push the most out of the turbo and aftermarkets are really attractive to me. I have not seen anyone talk about the downsides of upgrading manifolds other than the possibility of changing the location of the turbo
As long as it's cast, you are good. Every tubular mani I've seen eventually cracks. All of them. Plus, it hurts spool, so I've never been a fan
The following users liked this post:
IzzyRS (Feb 3, 2017)
Old Feb 2, 2017, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
As long as it's cast, you are good. Every tubular mani I've seen eventually cracks. All of them. Plus, it hurts spool, so I've never been a fan
How do aftermarket manifolds hurt spool when they are supposed to increase flow rate? or am I misguided in that and they have another purpose?

Thanks everyone for the speedy responses to my questions!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 06:46 PM
kaj

How do aftermarket manifolds hurt spool when they are supposed to increase flow rate? or am I misguided in that and they have another purpose?

Thanks everyone for the speedy responses to my questions!
Peak flow rates, yes. I can't quote the math and science behind it, but smaller/shorter tubing usually helps with torque and spool, while larger/longer helps with peak flow/power.
Someone else should chime in, any second now, that can explain it mo' betta'.
I believe it's because the exhaust gas velocity is faster with the smaller tubing.. but it's been years since I looked it up. Been with cast manis for about 10yrs now LOL
P.S. I'm assuming you mean an equal-length tubular mani. If you mean a tubular "stock replacement", then those work pretty well. Though mine still cracked. LOL

Last edited by kaj; Feb 2, 2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
If you are close to CBRD, give them a call. I'm sure they can extract some more power safely. No need for a tubular manifold, just port your stock one if you want to. A tuner with plenty of Evo/4g63 experiencee can really make the car a different animal (while keeping the block together).
Old Feb 3, 2017, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IzzyRS
If you are close to CBRD, give them a call. I'm sure they can extract some more power safely. No need for a tubular manifold, just port your stock one if you want to. A tuner with plenty of Evo/4g63 experiencee can really make the car a different animal (while keeping the block together).
Theyre about an hour and a half from me, but ill drive much longer for quality. Thanks for the help

The only thing is that I dont know if i want to drive that far semi-regularly to pay for a re-tune after I install new parts. but theyre still my top go-to unless I can find something reasonably closer
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:02 AM
kaj

Theyre about an hour and a half from me, but ill drive much longer for quality. Thanks for the help

The only thing is that I dont know if i want to drive that far semi-regularly to pay for a re-tune after I install new parts. but theyre still my top go-to unless I can find something reasonably closer
E-tunes would be good for updates. A lot of us have our tunes done that way.
(see my Sig)
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
(see my Sig)
I dont see it
Old Feb 4, 2017, 01:10 PM
kaj

I dont see it
BainsTuned does my tuning.

https://www.facebook.com/bainstuning
Old Feb 6, 2017, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OP, I would head over to CBRD, have Chad & his guys go over your car & tune it. My old IX on 93 oct, stock long block, stock head with S2 cams easily made 400whp on Chad's dyno with a BBK Full. And this was probably 5+ yrs ago.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
OP, I would head over to CBRD, have Chad & his guys go over your car & tune it. My old IX on 93 oct, stock long block, stock head with S2 cams easily made 400whp on Chad's dyno with a BBK Full. And this was probably 5+ yrs ago.
Thank you.

This question isnt particularly aimed at anybody. But is CBRD the go to shop for PA? Im just curious if there are any others just for comparison. I know this is slightly off topic but more recommendations are also welcome.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 06:14 PM
kaj

If you are needing to visit a shop in person, that is a good place to go. You won't be disappointed. If there are others in your area, then that is even better and quite fortunate for you! Some people drive really, really far just to find one, single shop LOL

Quick Reply: BBK Full, SD, Stock Mani, Cosworth Cams, Stock Bottom End, etc on 93