Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil blowing from oil cap/dipstick

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil blowing from oil cap/dipstick

Hey guys any of you having problems with getting oil blowing out of your dipstick and/or oil cap. Im getting alot of blowby, rings are seated good, good compression. IM running an aftermarket T3/4 turbo on 18psi. Anyone else have this problem??? If so what did you do to fix it? I know I can disconnect the vent from the valve cover to the intake manifold and put it into a catch can, but will that solve my problems?
Old Mar 11, 2005, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

for a while my dipstick used to pop out part way so it isn't sealed and i used to get oil all over my engine. i bought a spring and put it around my dipstick and the bracket that mounts it to the block, to keep it down where it is supposed to be. i also had a catch can, so having one won't solve the problem, although you should get one for other reasons. maybe i just have a bad gasket though on the dipstick.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oil was leaking around my cap just a little bit... i figure its because i got one of those $5 ralliart knockoff oil caps from ebay... tossed it now im fine lol!
Old Mar 11, 2005, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Alot of the dsm's did the same thing. But to get the dipstick to come out u really gotta beat on it. Maybe since u have a larger turbo thats the reason 4 it. Or maybe mitsu still hasen't fixed this problem from the 1st gens. Try to zip tie it 2 something. Thats what we use2do.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

You may want to check your compression and do a leak down test. Every evo I have seen that blew out the dipstick was from extreme crankcase pressure from blow by.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:41 PM
oj

you may need to drill n tap out your rocker cover breathers for larger fittings and tubes leading to a catch bottle with equally large fittings then remove spring from dipstick just an idea, its been done to mine. ( evo 5 engine 2100cc HKS crank rods pistons cams pullys injecs. etc. etc. )
Old Mar 12, 2005, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NC_EvO_GuY
oil was leaking around my cap just a little bit... i figure its because i got one of those $5 ralliart knockoff oil caps from ebay... tossed it now im fine lol!

I think thats ultimately what it is, I got a cheap *** ebay oil cap and I know for a fact the O rings on the dipstick are OK. Im gonna do another compression test later, I did one of the other day and came up a little low but thats also because the engine wasnt warmed up and it was 14 degrees outside. This is a new engine with just under 1,000 miles on it so the rings may not have fully seated yet, also you can tell if you got bad compression by driving the car, you'd get some blue smoke and especially when really laying into the throttle it would feel weird, the car feels incredibly strong. Im gonna do another test tonight then post up my results.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

it doesn't matter if your compression is low, as long as all numbers are around the same compression, then you're ok. if replacing the oil cap does not solve your problems, what oj said will.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

I did a compression test, all cylinders between 190 and 195 psi. I replaced the oil cap and it solved 95% of the problem, im gonna replace the orings on the dipstick tomorrow
Old Mar 13, 2005, 07:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Try and press the dipstick tube with a pair of pliers ever so slightly to create a tighter fit for the dipstick, this worked for me.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I did that a few weeks ago, the dipstick itself used to blow out but it doesnt after I crimped the tube however I just think the Orings in there are shot
Old Mar 14, 2005, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oj
you may need to drill n tap out your rocker cover breathers for larger fittings and tubes leading to a catch bottle with equally large fittings then remove spring from dipstick just an idea, its been done to mine. ( evo 5 engine 2100cc HKS crank rods pistons cams pullys injecs. etc. etc. )
you don't really have to drill out the valve cover, but do make sure that your pvc is clean and flowing freely, and that the breather line is large enough to flow all the extra crankcase pressure.

basically,there's a restriction in your crank case airflow, securing the dipstick by various means, will only force the pressure to go somewhere else, only creating future problems. There's a reason serious guys run -10 an lines from the valve cover to the catch can, and it's not for bling.

Old Mar 14, 2005, 08:19 AM
Account Disabled

Oil out of the dip stick = You compressing the oil pan. Common problem.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

I plan on running -10 lines out of the valve cover, but you need to drill the hole larger then thread it