Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

ATTN: BUSCHUR *Dipstick Retainer?*

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATTN: BUSCHUR *Dipstick Retainer?*

Just wondering if you all plan on making an oil dipstick retainer like you have for the 8/9. Since we don't have the ring on the dipstick I don't think we can use the same one.

I got oil all over the engine bay once now I don't want it to ever happen again.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Damn, what happened?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slo4g63
Damn, what happened?
too much pressure in the crank case causing the dipstick to pop out under boost and oil to hose down the underhood area.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by flyguycfi
Just wondering if you all plan on making an oil dipstick retainer like you have for the 8/9. Since we don't have the ring on the dipstick I don't think we can use the same one.

I got oil all over the engine bay once now I don't want it to ever happen again.

I know that I have no idea what your setup is or what steps you have already taken to alleviate the excessive crank case pressure so if you already know this then please don't take offense....

Dipstick is popping out due to excessive pressure build up in the crank case. How much boost are you running? What changes have you made to the crank case vent setup? Are you running an open breather?

Better approach would be to try and address the problem (excessive crank case pressure) rather than the symptom.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 08:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We'll look into it.

I'll mention this to David to see what his input is on the topic.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
I know that I have no idea what your setup is or what steps you have already taken to alleviate the excessive crank case pressure so if you already know this then please don't take offense....

Dipstick is popping out due to excessive pressure build up in the crank case. How much boost are you running? What changes have you made to the crank case vent setup? Are you running an open breather?

Better approach would be to try and address the problem (excessive crank case pressure) rather than the symptom.
It happens all the time with the 4G63 guys. I'm running 25PSI and the PCV vent, I think is what it's called, was kinked and may have contributed to the oil spewing out.

I'm got an oil catch can just to be safe and plan on installing it ASAP!

Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
We'll look into it.

I'll mention this to David to see what his input is on the topic.
Thanks! BTW I got your crossflow cat-back and it is PERFECT! Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 03:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by flyguycfi
It happens all the time with the 4G63 guys. I'm running 25PSI and the PCV vent, I think is what it's called, was kinked and may have contributed to the oil spewing out.

I'm got an oil catch can just to be safe and plan on installing it ASAP!

Thanks! BTW I got your crossflow cat-back and it is PERFECT! Thanks!
I would imagine the kink is what caused the dip stick to pop out. I run 25psi every day and have never once had the stick pop out. I do still have the valve cover vent plumbed back into the intake pipe, which will pull a vacuum most of the time. With the boost your running I don't see any reason why you would be popping the dip stick other than venting the valve cover to atmosphere or a kink / blockage in the vent line.

Catch can won't help unless you get a vacuum source on one side of it, like the intake pipe.

Point is excessive crank case pressure will among other thing cost you some power because the pistons are having to fight against the pressure.