Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2009, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rough Idle

Alright so I've held off a while on trying to get help on this but its getting really annoying and possibly causing some newer issues.

Mods:
Hks 272's
HKS cam gears 0/0 i believe
TBE
2.5in IC pipes
3.5in IC
ETS intake
Hallman MBC
APS bov - recirculating
ACT xtreme 6 puck sprung
Stock ecu- tuned by me
73k miles on everything

Let me put a brief history out on the car. I bought it last year in august, the car had a apexi power FC, i had it tuned locally. It didn't have any issues idling like stock.

In january i switched to AEM EMS and worked on street tuning it. No matter what I i did with timing or fueling i noticed it had developed a idle issue. It seemed like it has giant loppy cams in it and while sitting still sometimes if I reved it they would hang at 1500 and then drop down again to 1k.

March I sold the AEM because I didn't have any use for it from being laid off and went back to the stock ECU. Again after tuning it the idling issue was still there. It also seems to have a hard time sometimes with the idle catching and it bogs down to 500rpm's or seems to idle there unless i prod the gas to bring it back to 1000. Now because I have changed many variables in the tune on both the AEM and stock ecu im looking towards another possibility such as a sensor or something below. But im not sure what it might be.

Things i've done so far whether related or not...
Compression test (within spec)
Boost/vaccum leak test (throttle shaft seals[getting replaced])
cleaned the MAF
a few months ago pulled the IAC motor off and inspected and cleaned it
changed plugs
Checked EGR, had vaccum lines off but that was recent.

Any ideas or suggestions would be highly appreciated!
Thanks

Last edited by project_skyline; Jun 24, 2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
injectors scaled correctly?

fuel trims in order with new intake?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Well im not in closed loop anymore but back when I was scaling everything I got fuel trims on low and mid to within 4%.

Everything including MAF is now scaled very well at least from what its showing me.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usually its the smallest thing that can cause the biggest issue. I had issues with idle on my talon because of an oxygen sensor and a failing tps. Does it idle like that whether its cold or warm?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

I also had a problem like this. My EGR was lose, and was letting the air out, Also check Vac. lines.
Just a stat to get you in the right direction.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

I've always had idle problems switching intakes, especially smaller ones. Sounds like you've tried just about everything, mess with the biss screw?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 06:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've always had idle problems switching intakes, especially smaller ones. Sounds like you've tried just about everything, mess with the biss screw?
not to sound ignorant, but from what i read they always say dont touch the BISS screw? (i dont have much knowledge here).

when ur getting this bad idle does the car idle lean or rich?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BerserkerX
Usually its the smallest thing that can cause the biggest issue. I had issues with idle on my talon because of an oxygen sensor and a failing tps. Does it idle like that whether its cold or warm?
It does it warm or cold but its only noticeable when its under 1200 rpm's.

I have tried adjusting the BISS but it didn't help.

I will check the EGR soon, i have the block off plate to throw on it anyway.

From what my wideband tells me its lean but its also only on the tail pipe. On the aem it was in the exhaust and I remember that no matter what I changed the fuel to that it showed lean as well.

I totally forgot to mention that.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

According to my limited knowledge from reading the books that I have you might want to run in rich. Rich idles better and controls it. Ha ha you could be lazy and be like my friend and take the easy way out when he switched cams, he just raised idle to like 1300. Check your oxygen sensor to see if its throwing the right voltage. if i remember its between 0-1.

But check your egr too. also you dont have an exhaust leak do you? if exhaust goes into your maf it wont idle right either. what about your tps? my sentra had an issue with that and the plenum leaking. But you said you checked that. Gl with it man.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:44 AM
Account Disabled

pull vacuum port off of the EGR, apply vacuum to it and see if it makes the stumble even more. if it still idles like crap then its a faulty EGR
Old Jun 17, 2009, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BerserkerX
According to my limited knowledge from reading the books that I have you might want to run in rich. Rich idles better and controls it. Ha ha you could be lazy and be like my friend and take the easy way out when he switched cams, he just raised idle to like 1300. Check your oxygen sensor to see if its throwing the right voltage. if i remember its between 0-1.

But check your egr too. also you dont have an exhaust leak do you? if exhaust goes into your maf it wont idle right either. what about your tps? my sentra had an issue with that and the plenum leaking. But you said you checked that. Gl with it man.
Like i said even richening the crap outta of it on the fuel maps it still generally shows lean.

Also since the 02 sensor doesn't control anything right now since I run full time close loop I dont suspect it.

I had an exhaust leak but i fixed that.

Originally Posted by 1sxyrxy
pull vacuum port off of the EGR, apply vacuum to it and see if it makes the stumble even more. if it still idles like crap then its a faulty EGR
I'll check that too when i get the chance.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

bump i checked everything and still no change.

Could this possibly be caused by some sort of failing sensor other then EGR?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

common this is evom, where is the help lol.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

to be honest i had a horrible idle recently and i checked everything and still couldnt find out why my idle just wasnt right. I was running a jdm 9 bov then I switched back to my forge rs and no problems. B4 the switch I was running super rich at idle the car acted like it wanted to die if I didnt give it gas and i kept throwing a p0172 code. After the switch that all changed.

Hope this helps

Last edited by jhanksevo; Jun 25, 2009 at 09:00 PM.