Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Smell of coolant inside the car? Also cooling issues?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smell of coolant inside the car? Also cooling issues?

So I recently replaced the coolant and I replaced it with Redline's Water Wetter, Prestone coolant (~35%), and distilled water mixture. After driving for a few days, I noticed a smell of coolant when I turn the A/C on (no smell when compressor is off). When I parked, I notice a puddle of water coming out....although didn't smell like coolant. This liquid drained from a 90 degree pipe out of the cockpit firewall. So I'm guessing it's A/C.

I checked all my hoses for any leaks or crack, I didn't see any. Last night, the car overheated. So this morning, I follow the Service Manual's procedure (exception of drain the coolant from the engine block). I filled the reservoir and the radiator again. I ran the car and seemed fine. After the car cool, I discovered that the reservoir is empty and the radiator took WAY more additional coolant that it should!!! After I ran the car, I did not see any obvious leakage while the engine was running/still hot.

Any idea??? Can the coolant somehow leak into A/C system through the A/C heating system? I know that A/C and engine cooling system are separate, but how can I smell coolant in the A/C???
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

If you just simply replaced the coolant it won't leak into the A/C system.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Sme happedned to me, it was a faulty heater core. BEWARE it may cause expensive damages to the engine. I replaxce it with a Lancer Ralliart core. All lancer's heater core are identical.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by toovira
So I recently replaced the coolant and I replaced it with Redline's Water Wetter, Prestone coolant (~35%), and distilled water mixture. After driving for a few days, I noticed a smell of coolant when I turn the A/C on (no smell when compressor is off). When I parked, I notice a puddle of water coming out....although didn't smell like coolant. This liquid drained from a 90 degree pipe out of the cockpit firewall. So I'm guessing it's A/C.

I checked all my hoses for any leaks or crack, I didn't see any. Last night, the car overheated. So this morning, I follow the Service Manual's procedure (exception of drain the coolant from the engine block). I filled the reservoir and the radiator again. I ran the car and seemed fine. After the car cool, I discovered that the reservoir is empty and the radiator took WAY more additional coolant that it should!!! After I ran the car, I did not see any obvious leakage while the engine was running/still hot.

Any idea??? Can the coolant somehow leak into A/C system through the A/C heating system? I know that A/C and engine cooling system are separate, but how can I smell coolant in the A/C???
well you'll always have a small puddle of water after using your AC... thats common. my guess is you did not properly bleed your cooling system when you flushed your radiator and as you overheated it spit out radiator fluid into your reservior (and out onto the street)... i would bleed it correctly, fill the reservior to the correct level and see if you continue to get that smell. most likely you do not have any major issues.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by alexisrc
Sme happedned to me, it was a faulty heater core. BEWARE it may cause expensive damages to the engine. I replaxce it with a Lancer Ralliart core. All lancer's heater core are identical.
I suspected that. The only place that coolant can mix with A/C system and generate the smell inside the cockpit is the heater core. Seems like you confirmed it.

As for the puddle, it's a little concerning. I'm aware that A/C will generate water through the evaporator, but this one is dripping more than a few drop a second (it's just a little too much). I purged the system after the fact and my reservoir was drained! Something wasn't right. Thank you for the suggestion though.